It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
(male)

inventor84 HB User
How to lose weight through exercise, with knee problems?

I have a big belly and I want to loose it - I've been trying to. But I have knee problems, I can't lift heaving things, running is hard I can only jog. I don't know how to ride a bike or have the money for one. I usually play basketball by myself, but I can't seem to loose weight. FYI I also don't over eat and I do watch what I eat.

any suggestions that can help?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

Charice HB User
Re: How to lose weight through exercise, with knee problems?

Hi, it's always tough to start out especially when the weight puts so much pressure on your knees.

I think you could try swimming or do cardio on a stationary bike. If not, you might want to look at fitness dvds to get your started. I started out with fitness dvds and just followed through with the best of my ability. Since it's all full body workouts with no equipment, it was easy to do at home. It gets tough on the legs but usually you can follow the low impact trainer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
(male)

ferris91 HB User

you should be very carefull with your knees in your situation. As Charice said swimming or cardio on a bike are good. You should not be running, as there's too much pressure on your knees with every step. Try sports, where you can slide or do round motions...as inlineskating, swimming. Are you registered in a gym? there should be many opportunities for you to loose weight, without hurting your knee too much.
But if you want to loose weight, don't just do cardio exercises. To develop muscles does burn fat too. as the tention in your muscles rises, fat will burn.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #4
(male)

ferris91 HB User

Depending on the extent of your problems, I'd definitely recommend cycling as a good way of exercising. If you have a good bike, it's actually pretty easy on the knees.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
(male)

jef112 HB User

I agree with all the posts here. Without knowing much more detail about your personal situation, it's difficult to pinpoint what might be throwing you off-track when it comes to your weight loss goals. In my experience, when someone says they 'watch what they eat', it still does not mean you are eating the right foods at the right times and doing away with the foods that are sabotaging you. If you have a bad knee, I second the suggestion of biking (and stationary biking). Personally, I have a chronically bad hip that keeps me from high impact exercise such as running, tennis, basketball, etc... Biking and walking are my go-to exercises and I've maintained a healthy weight for my entire life. The three best tips I can give you (and they work for everybody) are these: 1) find ways to get up and move. Being sedentary is literally a killer. Keep moving, anyway you can. 2) Ditch processed foods and eat good, healthy, REAL food. Lean, grass fed, beef. Lots of vegetables. Fruit. Get off the chips and anything that comes in a box. 3) SLEEP. Get 8 hours a night. Super important to living a healthy lifestyle. Hope this helps. If you want to post more details about your personal situation, I would be happy to try and help you out further. Best of luck to you...

Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Actually or some knee issues, biking is not an option. You can still do weights if you do them while sitting on a bench or using a ball. I do flys, pullovers and crunches on the ball all the time. Use the Smith machine to bench press while on an incline bench. Rowing machine. Pull up machine is great. Lots of things you can do weight work with and not involve your knees. Yoga is great also.

And you must address your diet. If you don't decrease your calorie intake, you aren't going to lose much weight.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
(male)

justabitjaded HB User

I like the way you ask for help and then say " FYI I don't overeat".There is only 1 item that can burn the fat off your body and that is your body.The only time your body will burn fat off your body is when it has nothing else from anywhere else to burn. I don't care if you eat just a peanut-if you cannot burn that peanut off and not lose weight then you have eaten too much !!!You at least know that you need to exercise to lose weight ..the next thing you really need to practise is being hungry. No joke! the only time you will burn fat is either when your cardio and heartrate are peaking (which may be difficult with the knee problems you have, but certainly not impossible.) or when you literally have no food in your system and you still require energy-even while resting-you will get hungry when this time comes.Then do something , anything-the more hungry you feel then the less you will need to do to burn fat.Also have you ever heard of anyone saying they are hungry whilst they are physically tired ? I haven't and that is because the body knows it ain't getting anything via mouth and so it goes into fat burn mode and ignores the low blood sugar stimulus it normally sends out and just gets on with flooding the blood with the chemicals that take the fats out of the muscles or skin and to the liver where it creates glycogen and then feeds the muscles.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
(male)

JustinDB HB User

Swimming is probably your best bet. Most sports would require running, which can worsen your knee condition.

Keep in mind the basic rule of thumb:
calories in = calories out --> weight maintained
calories in > calories out --> weight gain
calories in < calories out --> weight loss

Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
(female)

blondie27 HB User
Smile Re: How to lose weight through exercise, with knee problems?

I have bursitis,which affects my shoulder and knee joints. My knees hurt after I bend them,so I know how you feel. However,I am 16, had a baby two months ago,and weigh 135 pounds. I weighed 152 the day after labor. If I could do it,so could you. First of all,try getting theraputic bandages to wrap around your knees. Take a break every thirty minutes to an hour if exercise. You dont need to run to lose weight. You could consider walking an hour everyday and cutting back on your food portions. Also,eat bananas. They have few calories and give you energy. Try going to a physical therapist,if you can afford one. They can help you with your knees. And dont forget to give yourself rests.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
(male)

GDInspirations HB User

Cut down carbs and do cardio exercises! Good luck

Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I think that you should consider working in the pool. I did a lot of water therapy to try and avoid back surgery. Unfortunately, the herniation was so bad, surgery had to be done. Because I had spent 2 months of physical therapy in the water, my back muscles were so strong that it help in post-surgery recovery.

Good Luck.

wb

Closed Thread