It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

bevyk HB User
Exercise & COPD

have just been dx with COPD (#1). I'm 75 years old, non smoker for 30+
years. I've always been very active but a knee injury (meniscus) put me out of commission, and I wasn't active for some time. Suddenly, I'm S.O.B, and had a chest x-ray which showed a lot of scaring on both lungs???? So, therefore the dx. I'm on S.S. and cannot afford resp. rehab., so my husband got a treadmill for me. My question is, I don't know how to start a program that will accelerate to help me progress. I am now doing 15 min. at 2 mph, but that hardly feels like anything. At the end my pulse is only 100. Is there a website??? that can give me information, or perhaps someone that has gone through the same thing? I really don't want to give in to this; my garden awaits.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

friday49 HB Userfriday49 HB User
Wink Re: Exercise & COPD

You are smart to want to work out. But strength training is also good for you with COPD because the more in tone your muscles are the less O2 they need. get some weights or some elastic bans for that.

Just do a little bit more each day, or every other day. You don't have to knock yourself out for it to be beneficial.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Exercise & COPD

Hi Bev, actually a heart rate of 100 BPM at your age is very benefitial as it puts you in the cardio fat burning zone (220 minus 75 X .6). So, if you can keep this heart rate up for 20 to 30 minutes it will be good for your heart and lungs.

Closed Thread