It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

substitute for Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
linkin01
(male)

linkin01 HB User
substitute for Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel?

I rely on Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel drops. They are the only drop I've found that works. Also, they don't cause irritation, while other drops do.

I am used to ordering these drops online. There seems to be a shortage right now. I can't find any available except at outrageous prices (like $100/tube).

I don't know if this is a general problem, but at this point it occurs to me I'd like to find a substitute in case someday I can't get more Genteal severe gel.

So I am wondering if there is any advice. Note that I need a VERY THICK gel. The usual so-called "gel drops", the most common type, are not really that thick, and don't last in my eye (especially not at night). Genteal "Severe Gel" is pretty special.

The petroleium jelly ointments don't work for me. I can't get them to spread across my eye. They always just sit on my eyelids. Anyway, they compromise my vision too much.

The Following User Says Thank You to linkin01 For This Useful Post:
Machaon (08-25-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: substitute for Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel?

I use Genteal and I am not aware of a product that is similar. I buy Genteal from local stores and have not run into a problem finding it.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

My wife has a very uncomfortable dry eye condition, worsened after cataract surgery, although it is very slowly improving.

Based on your post, she wanted to try the Genteal "Severe Gel". To no avail! As you have learned, the Genteal "Severe Gel" seems "out of stock" everywhere. Perhaps it is being discontinued or being held up for reasons unknown to the general public.

She has ordered Genteal Gel Drops moderate to severe to see if it would give better relief than what she is currently using.

Best of luck getting the Genteal "Severe Gel", or something else, to provide you with some relief, and thanks for your post. We will also be watching out for the Genteal "Severe Gel".
⇒ In 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ In 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 AM   #4
caisaco
(female)

caisaco HB User

The last few months at my local store says (temporarily unavailable) I use the same thing you do and ONLY one that works. Do you live by a Target? They don't stock the gel drops right now but today I found a pack (36 individual) moderate drops. They seem okay right now. Thick and leave a nice blurry film like the others do so I know it's working haha!

But seriously. I have no idea either and my eyes have suffered for months. I dont know what's up with them. I can find a couple genteal things but not the gel drops. I've found the ointment and the preservative free ones. Hopefully we can keep each other posted!! Not sure what to do as systane is crap too. Tried bausch and lomb and burned my eyes like no other!

And now that I think of it... even Target clearanced the gel drops out! Only those out of all the other genteal! Maybe a recall? They were so amazing so I'm really baffled

Last edited by caisaco; 10-11-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
BGP08
(female)

BGP08 HB User

today I found Equate brand "Comfort Gel lubricant eye drops" twin pack (2 15 ml bottles) at Walmart. It says it is for moderate to severe dry eye relief and compares with Genteal mod-severe lubricant gel drops active ingredients.

My eye sight cannot read the tiny print and I do not have an old package from my last Genteal gel drops to compare anyway.

Has anyone tried these and do they contain all the same ingredients as Genteal gel drops?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Parsonwalker
(female)

Parsonwalker HB User

I am a big user of Genteal "Severe Dry Eye Gel". I've driven myself nuts looking for it! I finally tried Systane Gel Drops. Bottle MUST be shaken before use. They do blur vision so I try to just use at night before bed. But I need one I can use during the day. I'm also on Restasis. Sure wish the company would make an announcement about it.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
BGP08
(female)

BGP08 HB User

Well, the Equate brand "Comfort Gel lubricant eye drops" twin pack (2 15 ml bottles) at Walmart, has been working as well as the Genteal Sever gel drops had. My Ophthalmologist says the only difference is in the preservative. Genteal has their copyrighted preservative that neutralizes in the eye to be essentially 'preservative free' in the eye, Equate brand has a different preservative. My eyes are extremely sensitive to just about anything, but the Equate brand was a "try and see" per my doc and they have been working comfortably for 2 1/2 months.

My local drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, and Discount Drug Mart) all carry the Genteal Severe gel in the tubes for their normal prices, just not the gel drops in the bottles.

Hope this info helps others.

Reply Reply