It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 02:10 PM   #1

kramebe HB User
Eyes constantly blood shot

Hello, I am 23 years old and my eyes are "permanently" blood shot. Meaning the blood vessels, particularly in the corner of my left eye is always dilated. I went to an ophthalmologist and traced part of the problem to overuse of "clear eyes." He said that my blood vessels were constricted for too long and they got "angry" and now they are dilated.

I say part of the problem b/c the dilation of my blood vessels is contingent on my allergies/ dry eyes/ irritation of my eyes. The best they ever look is when they are not irritated (there is always the dilated blood vessels in the right corner of my left eye). The allergy or whatever is irritating my eyes came on the same time my eyes had this "reaction" to the overuse of the clear eyes. This is why I am hoping that my eyes are just having a reaction to something and the dilation can be fixed.

I have used Patanol for the allergies and preservative free eye drops for the irritation. I am hoping someone has some advice or could think of something else that this is. I am hoping that I was misdiagnosed and this irritation/ constant dilation of my blood vessels can be cured. I would appreciate anyone’s comments. Thank you and have a good one.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Eyes constantly blood shot

I would suggest you get a second opinion. Maybe another doctor will be able to diagnose the problem as being different and perhaps a solution.

Since your eyes are dry, you may have a chronic condition known as "eye inflamation" or other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Eyes constantly blood shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramebe
Hello, I am 23 years old and my eyes are "permanently" blood shot. Meaning the blood vessels, particularly in the corner of my left eye is always dilated. I went to an ophthalmologist and traced part of the problem to overuse of "clear eyes." He said that my blood vessels were constricted for too long and they got "angry" and now they are dilated.

I say part of the problem b/c the dilation of my blood vessels is contingent on my allergies/ dry eyes/ irritation of my eyes. The best they ever look is when they are not irritated (there is always the dilated blood vessels in the right corner of my left eye). The allergy or whatever is irritating my eyes came on the same time my eyes had this "reaction" to the overuse of the clear eyes. This is why I am hoping that my eyes are just having a reaction to something and the dilation can be fixed.

I have used Patanol for the allergies and preservative free eye drops for the irritation. I am hoping someone has some advice or could think of something else that this is. I am hoping that I was misdiagnosed and this irritation/ constant dilation of my blood vessels can be cured. I would appreciate anyone’s comments. Thank you and have a good one.

I recommend you see another ophthalmologist. IMO, your eyes should not be "permanently" blood shot red! I had blood shot red eyes for about 2 months, first thinking it was allergies (used Patanol), then also using the wrong kind of OTC drops (in a bottle, was not preservative-free), and waiting for my eye appointment. After finally seeing a ophthalmologist, I was diagnosed with moderate dry eyes. Check out Dry Eye Syndrome on the Internet and see if you have any of the symptoms. The ophthalmologist said by me using OTC drops that are not preservative-free (usually the ones in the bottles) caused the eyes to get rid of the red for a while but it affects the blood vessels and made the eyes even more red. He had me use Refresh Endura drops every hour (every expensive!!) and Refresh PM ointment at night for about a month. My eyes stopped being red immediately. Now I am on a prescription anti-inflammatory drop called Restasis and can use any preservative-free OTC drops whenever I need to. In addition to Restasis (2X/day), I am using only about 2-4 OTC vials of drops day now. My vision has also improved. I have a followup appt. next week.

Make sure the ophthalmologist that you see give you a schminer test (small strips of paper put in your eyes to see how much tears you are producing) and there are several other tests that are done - they put stains in your eyes and look at your eyes through their equipment. Your eyes are very precious and if dry eyes are not treated properly, it will cause your vision to diminish!

Hope this helps,
Molly

Closed Thread