It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 05:39 AM   #1

cowpoke HB User
Question Flickering Vision

I have noticed that about one or two times per week during the last 4-5 months that early in the mornings I get a mild flickering of my vision. It is something like viewing things through a rotating fan blade which would be revolving about 150 RPM. Has never lasted more that 30 minutes to and hour and once gone, it never recurs during the same day. Seems like I notice it only after I have gone outside in the sunshine. Have never noticed it while at the computer.

I am 60 years old and in excellent health as far as I know. I take several vitamins daily but nothing perscription. I am not overweight and get plenty of exercise. About a year now since my last eye exam but everything was fine at that time. I wear glasses for macular degeneratin but think that is pretty normal for my age. Never any vision bluring or shimmering, only the flickering and that is pretty faint. Never bad enough to intefer with reading or seeing, just enough to notice.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 PM   #2

Lochnessie HB User
Re: Flickering Vision

The flickering could just be a side-effect of your macular degeneration.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #3
Inactive

GinaAnn HB User

Cowpoke...I have the same flickering problem. My Neuro said it has to do with the inner-ear problem I have. Take this test...next time it happens close one eye, see if it doesnt go away. If it does go away then its prob just your inner-ear. Gina

Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

Chloe1208 HB User

Hey guys I know it's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread, but I too have this shimmering problem. It seems to be early in the morning when I look at a light background. I also saw it when I look at the computer screen. No one seems to be able to tell me what it is. I had very bad nearsightedness. (-9. to -10) and I had Lasik in '98. I could have had this problem years ago, but didnt' notice it because I was so nearsighted. I was told that I had degenerative retinae because of being so nearsighted and should be mindful of detached retina.

My "flickering/shimmering" is exactly like a ceiling fan in the exact center of my vision. It's in BOTH eyes! It's gone now, but it seems to come on early in the morning or after I take the dog for a walk. I'm not too upset with it, but am very concerned if it is something serious. I do have high blood pressure, but it's controlled with meds and I take Celexa. I think I had the shimmering/flickering before I started taking either of the meds.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I have that in my peripheral vision ever since I got a posterior vitreous detachment. After I come in from bright sunlight it's actually BLACK flickering real bad! I know it's exactly like a fan because I was standing with my back to the LR wall and out of the OTHER eye I saw the exact thing I see from my RIGHT eye with the PVD and it tturned out to be the shadaw of the ceiling fan in the kitchen! So that is a perfect way to describe it. My mom's friend has it too and hers is only in the AM. You MAY have a PVD, I'd have it checked out. PVD's can be ANYwhere in the eye.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
(female)

Chloe1208 HB User

How serious is posterior vitreous detachment? I know mine is in both eyes, and I think it is kinda black. Do you know where I can find out something about it?

Thanks for answering

Old 07-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1208
How serious is posterior vitreous detachment? I know mine is in both eyes, and I think it is kinda black. Do you know where I can find out something about it?

Thanks for answering
Posterior Vitreous Detachment is not serious at all. The only thing it can do is CAUSE a serious problem (detached retina), but that is a very LOW possibility. AND, if you don't have any of the other symptoms (any flashing lights?) it may not even be a real bad PVD like I have. If you are over 55 or if you are younger and very nearsighted (like me), this is an extremely common thing. The vitreous shrinks and pulls away from the retina, as it is pulling away it could tear the retina, then in turn that could lead to a detachment. It's best to get a dialated eye exam to make sure there are no tears in the retina (and if there is? They can lazer zap it, easy remedy before it progresses) - even though my one PVD is real bad(I have a small one in the other eye too), I had no tears in the retina or anything, so it's not something to obsess over, but it is something to get checked out. You seem to just have the one symptom though - so it could very well be something else - but I would assume it would have to do with something in the vitreous anyway. That vireous gel could cause some really strange things!

Just type in "Posterior Vitreous Detachmment" into a search engine and you'll find a ton of things on it.

Old 07-03-2004, 06:45 AM   #8
(female)

Chloe1208 HB User

I'll look it up. I'm 50 and I was -9 and -10 Rx before my surgery, so I guess I fit the criteria. I had always been told I had some deterioration around my retina because of it and to watch for symptoms of detached retina. Thanks so much.

Closed Thread