It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #1

feebee HB User
split second vision black out

Hi,

I am curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this.

Sometimes my vision blacks out as if a curtain falls over my vision for a split second. Its as if I blinked, but I am not aware of blinking, as most of the time I force myself to blink.

It like - when you are in a room at night with the lights on, and the power flicks off for a split second and then comes back.

Anyway, I am wondering if this could be a sign of retinal detachment as I do have a few floaters.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by feebee; 01-27-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 06:04 PM   #2

Greenman438 HB User
Re: split second vision black out

A retinal detachment could be possible, but the blacking out would be for longer. If you lose complete vision, it would mean the retina completely sloughing off or something crazy like that. Also, retinal and vitreous detachment both tend to cause flashes of light like lightning streaks in the periphery of your vision. Also, floaters usually increase in number significantly after retinal tear events. If you've had a couple floaters for a while with no change, then it might be a seperate thing.

How long has this been going on? Has the frequency increased over time? Do you notice any after effects? Do you get headaches after it happens?

An opth will easily be able to tell if its a retinal or vitreous detachment the minute (s)he looks into your eye. If they see nothing, then most likely what you are experiencing is a wiring problem in your optic nerve or head, caused by any number of possible conditions. If it hasn't been getting better or worse, if it's stable, i wouldn't worry about it. If it starts to change in frequency or duration, then immediately to a doctor you should go!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Mara

[QUOTE=feebee]Hi,

That happened to me a few years ago. At first I thought the lights went out for a micro second but it ocured to me that, that was impossible because it was a bright sunny day and no lights were on to "go black". I was sitting down reading at the time. It happened as you describe, a handful of different times (same time period).

Then a bad case of it happened when I was in the neurologists office, I am talking vision in both eyes at the same time flickering black (off & on). At that visit, I was upset at what was happening with me physically. Then they started while I was waiting and by the time I saw her, I broke down in front of her and told her what was happening, then and there. I really thought I would lose my vision. She told me they were fasciculations and prescribed an antispasmodic. It would be reasonable to say my nerves were shot at the time because they found a lesion on an mri of the brain, so I was already terrified about the thought of having ms (they were looking for plaques). I believe it's possible the episode at the doctors office was brought on by upset. However, the other times it ocured, it happened out of the blue when I was calm, at home. I don't want to leave out that at the time I was also having thyroid problems that were eventually discovered (by that neuro) and in between bouts of alternating facial palsy. When I asked the eye doctor at the time if I could lose my vision he told me he could'nt say until the neural problem was found (something to that affect).

I take cal/mag, a multi, omega 3, and valarian supplaments to help relax the muscles. When I have worsened muscle tremors I take valarian & cal mag 3x tid and it does help. It does not eliminate them but has helped.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #4

feebee HB User

Thank you Greenman and Gemi.

I've been noticing this happening the last year, coinciding with alot of stress and anxiety. I do not get headaches or anything else, its purely as if the lights go out just as if I was blinking. A few people tell me that I must be blinking but not realising, but I know its not. I have other weird head things, such as a vascular popping sound in my left ear alot and tenderness behind the left ear on the neck. Sometimes I think I might not be getting enough oxygen to my head.

Gemi with your post I realised I might be better seeing a neurologists. The eye doc says there nothing wrong, however I accidently discovered I have auto immune thyroid antibodies, but no thyroid problems as yet, so I do wonder if there is a connection.

Gee I have been thinking about it alot lately and keeping panicking that I am going to go blind.

Gemi I am wondering if you also see specks (really tiny ones) when you close your eyes at night ? As I only have this vision black out about 1-2 times a day, how often does your happen ? I also feel that my eyes are strained alot and when I close them tightly I have the weirdest feeling, it feels like everything is moving in really fast and I feel like I am going to go blind !!!

Thanks again.
Feebee.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebee
Thank you Greenman and Gemi.

I've been noticing this happening the last year, coinciding with alot of stress and anxiety. I do not get headaches or anything else, its purely as if the lights go out just as if I was blinking. A few people tell me that I must be blinking but not realising, but I know its not. I have other weird head things, such as a vascular popping sound in my left ear alot and tenderness behind the left ear on the neck. Sometimes I think I might not be getting enough oxygen to my head.

Gemi with your post I realised I might be better seeing a neurologists. The eye doc says there nothing wrong, however I accidently discovered I have auto immune thyroid antibodies, but no thyroid problems as yet, so I do wonder if there is a connection.

Gee I have been thinking about it alot lately and keeping panicking that I am going to go blind.

Gemi I am wondering if you also see specks (really tiny ones) when you close your eyes at night ? As I only have this vision black out about 1-2 times a day, how often does your happen ? I also feel that my eyes are strained alot and when I close them tightly I have the weirdest feeling, it feels like everything is moving in really fast and I feel like I am going to go blind !!!

Thanks again.
Feebee.
I have a history of a thyroid problem (hyper) and inflammatory conditions w/migraines. No, I do not see specks when I close my eyes. The brief moments it happened was only as described in my first post and not since.

Perhaps your GP could help you with your anxiety and please don't worry too much because worry makes things worse. Feel Better

Last edited by Gemi; 02-13-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Closed Thread