It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
Red and dry eyes from contact lens wear

My eyes get red and dry from wearing contact lens. At the end of the day it feels like my eyeballs are being squeezed. Does anyone else have this problem? My eye doctor recommended those contact lens for me so I thought there was no problem. The kind of red I get is like your eyes are very tired or you drank too much - that kind of red. I have to use Visine get the red out drop to get rid of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #2

skoolpsych25 HB User
Re: Red and dry eyes from contact lens wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandlop
My eyes get red and dry from wearing contact lens. At the end of the day it feels like my eyeballs are being squeezed. Does anyone else have this problem? My eye doctor recommended those contact lens for me so I thought there was no problem. The kind of red I get is like your eyes are very tired or you drank too much - that kind of red. I have to use Visine get the red out drop to get rid of them.

hi

I have been having the same problem for over six months. I never had problems before and have worn the same contacts successfully since about the eigth grade (I am now 25). It has gotten so bad that I can not have my contacts in for more than 3 hours! I am currently being treated for dry eyes by a dr. (it took me a while to find one who would be willing to work with me..I loved my contacts and miss wearing them a lot). I have tried warm compresses and eyedrops called systane which have given me minimal help. recently my dr, gave me these dissolvable plugs that keep more tears in your eyes..but that didn't help either. I haven't tried new lenses yet though. I heard that ones with more water content are better for those of us with dry eyes. I think that's the next step. either that or this drop called restasis that you have to take for 4-6 weeks, but I'm doubtful and wary of long-term med. use. I DO know that using visine to clear up red eyes is bad...you should not make a habit of it because it can often do more harm than good.
anyways, just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
if only we could all have 20/20 vision !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
(female)

mehappy2 HB User

I started with hard contacts, then I decided tried soft ones since everyone was getting them. Initially happy, but after some time, I found similar problems that you describe. It turned out that my eyes did not have the capability to supply enough moisture to keep the soft contacts hydrated. I went back to the hard (gas permiable). I can wear them late into the night without problem. The vision they provide is also more crisp at night. I had trouble with clarity while using the soft contacts and driving at night.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
(male)

steven24111 HB User

I dont know if this will help but i can tell you some of my experiences that I have had when I first started wearing contacts about 5 or so more years ago withen a month my eye turned red and all that was told it was pink eye but I dont think so gave up on them for a long time then decided to give them a try and used a diffrent brand and had no problems but still had that suffocating felling to my eyes. Recently I decided to give them a new try I wear the night and day contacts they have a lower water content meaning they can be worn in dryer eyes and they dont need to be removed for 30 days unless something gets in your eyes. Also lense soulition can cause it also because of the preservetives in them and can cause your eyes to get red sometimes after years of use of one solution a personc can build up an allergic reaction to it.

Closed Thread