It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 PM   #1

.samantha. HB User
pulse in eye??

i've noticed if i get nervous or my heart beat quickens i can see my pulse in my vision. i see a slight black shadow in my peripheral that corresponds with my pulse.

???
this is the same eye that i have a blind spot. a year ago i had an mri and went to a neuro opth (after going to 3 opthomologists who didn't see anything) and what not and they saw NOTHIN.

i'm still convinced there's something wrong. it's scary! should i get a second opinion (even though i've had multiple doctors look at me?). help!

Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #2

klexicon HB User
Thumbs up Re: pulse in eye??

I'm in a similar situation. I can see/feel my heartbeat in my eyes after exercising or if i'm nervous. I also see weird circles when i strain my eyes to far in a direction. I got my eyes checked and he said everything looks fine. If you find any useful info let me know. Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-13-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: needless quote clogging the thread - please use the reply button instead

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2004, 01:15 PM   #3

Greenman438 HB User
Re: pulse in eye??

I, too experience pulsing with heartbeat. It's nothing to worry about. I ALSO see circles when I move my eyes far to the left or right, and sometimes up and down too. They are most noticeable in the dark or against a white background. If I look to the right, the circle appears in the central vision of my left eye, and vice versa. Interesting eh? I also have been having trouble processing glare and am ligt sensitive. Had the usual workup, including neuro-op visit and head MRI, everything looked fine with the exception of the beginning of cataracts. I would love to start a dialogue with the person who sees circles, if you read this.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-25-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #4

klexicon HB User
Talking Re: pulse in eye??

Very interesting. I'm glad it isn't serious. Are the circles a sign of cataracts? I too would like to get a dialogue going. NOt many people have this.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-25-2004 at 06:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to klexicon For This Useful Post:
abelag01 (03-03-2012)
Old 02-25-2004, 07:39 AM   #5

Greenman438 HB User

Hey Klex, could you describe your symptoms as detailed as you can, how long they been going on, what triggers them, when the circles are most visible, and anything else? I'll do the same after that and we can go from there...

green

Old 02-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #6

klexicon HB User

Sure. I see my pulse in my eyes mainly when running or lying down. This isn't that bad. The circles are annoying. Like you said i really only notice them against a white background or looking at the sky or when i'm thinking about it. When i look to the left far, i can see a little circle (green/blueish?) on the left side of my right eye (bigger) and the right side of my righ eye(smaller) and vica versa. i see them too when looking up and down but it's not as bad. I went to an eye doctor and he said my eyes look good and i have 20/20 vision. He thinks it might just hvae something to do with the muscles there. How about you?

Last edited by moderator2; 05-13-2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: needless quote clogging the thread - please use the reply button instead

Old 02-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

I don't see my pulse in my eyes, but I can see the circles you are describing. I think that is normal.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
(male)

cacklebunny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman438
I, too experience pulsing with heartbeat. It's nothing to worry about. I ALSO see circles when I move my eyes far to the left or right, and sometimes up and down too. They are most noticeable in the dark or against a white background. If I look to the right, the circle appears in the central vision of my left eye, and vice versa. Interesting eh? I also have been having trouble processing glare and am ligt sensitive. Had the usual workup, including neuro-op visit and head MRI, everything looked fine with the exception of the beginning of cataracts. I would love to start a dialogue with the person who sees circles, if you read this.
I know it's been a year since your post, but I share your symptoms almost exactly, including the diagnosis of the "beginnings of a cataract." I would like to know more about your situation and if, after a year, you've gotten any more answers. {REMOVEED} I'd like to get a dialogue going! Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-04-2005 at 06:07 AM. Reason: please read the posting rules - no emails

Old 05-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Lisa50 HB User

So true! Lets talk about this. I just joined this site, thrilled to find a few more people out of the millions with this eye dilemma.

I have had this pulsing in my vision also, every day for about one year now. I am also concerned but I don't think its correlated necessarily with heart disease or anything like that. I only went to an optometrist who said he saw someone else who could "see her heart beating in her vision!" I am in the midst of breast cancer treatments now, going thru radiation; and after searching all of the health web site and not find pulsing, i'm happy to have found others like you with the same problem! I believer it's from menopause or hormonal imbalances (which led me to the breast cancer in the first place), but that's not to say yours will be the same (breast cancer). It could be an automimmune dysfunction, and a menopause or "hot flash" endocrine thing; not brain or eyes thing at all.

I have seen bright circles on far irght and left of vision, usually when eyes are close at night. I think this is quite normal, as my hubby sees it too sometimes he said. But, the pulsing following my heartbeat is the most worrisome to me. The suspect cataracts could be involved with me maybe as they are with you; and this is less serious than a detached retina, for example. I have floaters also for a long time and naturally poor vision (farsighted)....

I don't know if you are around; and i think i may have responded to you but just joined and not sure if i did it right. Yes, we are a small group of people apparently! I still think it is a condition like a chain reaction from proteins not being fed by the vessels correctly, or immune compromising elsewhere in the body.

Lisa

Last edited by moderator2; 05-13-2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: to combine four messages into one - please use the edit button instead of making multiple posts

Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
(male)

cacklebunny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa50
So true! Lets talk about this. I just joined this site, thrilled to find a few more people out of the millions with this eye dilemma.

It could be an automimmune dysfunction, and a menopause or "hot flash" endocrine thing; not brain or eyes thing at all.
Hi Lisa:

I'm a male, so I certainly hope "menopause" or "hot flashes" don't apply to me!

Anyway, the heart beat pulse still occurs; it's been over a year since this started happening in conjunction with several bizarre neurological and arthritic-like symptoms (I didn't have any health problems prior to last year).

My symptoms include episodes of stinging pain in the joints, particularly the lower-back, knees, wrists, elbows and ankles. When this all started, my sense of taste and smell was affected (diminished). They were looking at MS and other neurological diseases but I've tested negative for everything. Lyme Disease, heavy metal poisoning --you name it, I've likely been tested for it. Unfortunately, they've not found a cause yet.

My eye doctors all tell me that the heart beat pulse is "normal." They're usually pretty dismissive when I bring it up. I only notice it now when I've been walking for more than a few minutes, or if I've exercised. Otherwise, I'm either used to it or don't notice it. The floaters are what I notice most of all, because my job requires me to stare at a computer screen all day.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

mel07 HB User

what does your pulsing look like? mine is in left eye only and is like a grey streak that pulses in time with my heart beat ... has anyone here had a fluroscien angiogram to check blood vessels in the eye?

Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
(male)

cacklebunny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel07
what does your pulsing look like? mine is in left eye only and is like a grey streak that pulses in time with my heart beat ...
In my case, the pulsing appears as a darker, somewhat circular area in my field of vision. It's as though someone had dimmed the lighting in that region in time with my heartbeat.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

mel07 HB User

is it in one eye or both? mine is only in my left eye. the pulsing occurs at one "end" of a roughly semicircular "thing" that has anyyoyingly set itself up in my vision ... i'm wracking my brain trying to think how the pulse and the "thing" can be related and all i can come up with is this is some type of vascular problem. BUT the doc said my retinas looked fine with regard to blood flow. she did not order an angiogram though ...

Old 12-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

I get a pulse in the eye too when I get nervous or heart beats fast sometimes.. I also get a falsh when i look up and down fast, but only on the down... I'm trying to figure out what's causing all this.. it all started when i first got diagnosed with a thyroid problem and some antibodies... it seemed to subside when i quit eating sugar but it's kinda back again.. the stupid flash.. i posted on another site and i really want to know what the heck it is.

but i get those circles too, clear light circles when i look far to the right or left, in the inner portion of my eye.. flippin weird stuff.. i wish i knew what the answers were..

scott

Old 12-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
(male)

MickeyMouseee HB User

I to see circles in my eyes and its more noticeable at night also have constant zigzag vision ;/

Closed Thread