It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2004, 04:50 AM   #1

JimC981 HB User
Wink Restasis Question !?!

just diagnosed with dry eye , blepharitis, allergic conjunctavitis , superficial keratitis, and to top it off a benign neoplasm in my orbital region !!!!

my opthamologist of course gave me Restasis for the dry eye which is my primary diagnosis ... but I'm also on Zaditor for itching and burning , Alrex for the kerattis, Doxycycline tabs for infection, and Refresh Celluvisc like 10 times a day ...

my question is ... it says on the Restasis labels and my pharmacy labels that using topical anti imflammatory drugs at the same time will mean the Restatsis won't increase tear production ... so, should I give up my steriod drops (Alrex) to let the Restasis work (it was like $100 w/o insurance) !

surely the doctor would have said something though, right ? should I ask him or just do like he says and do all 3 prescription drops 2 times a day .... just seems like using allergy drops, steriod drops, and Restasis (didn't know it was cyclosporine) at the same time would cause one not to work ... am I just paranoid ? your thoughts would be appreciated thanx

Old 03-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
Inactive

Jen2003 HB User
Re: Restasis Question !?!

Wow! That does sound like a lot of stuff to be putting in your eyes. Are you going to see your doctor again soon? I would definitely question him/her about using all those drugs at the same time. Do you think if you got your allergic conjunctivitis under control that the other eye problems you're having would get better? I guess what I'm wondering is if your allergies are the root of all the other symptoms you're having. If you could focus on just the one problem, maybe the others would improve (?). Hmmmmm........ I got blepharitis along with keratitis and dry eye about a year ago and the drugs they were giving me just seemed to make things worse. After about three months I'd had it and told the doctor I wasn't going to put anymore drops of any kind in my eyes (except preservative-free artificial tears). I focused on just getting the blepharitis symptoms under control (with warm compresses and lid massages) and then everything started to SLOWLY get better. Did your doctor tell you about compresses, lid scrubs and lid massages? And did he/she tell you that you have to be EXTREMELY patient with these eye problems because it takes a LONG time to get them under control? I just wish the first doctor I had seen had told me this. It would have saved me a lot of frustration and anxiety. Anyway, as I mentioned before, I don't think it would hurt to ask your doctor about all the eye drops. I wouldn't worry about the doxycycline, though, because that's something taken orally (I've actually been on doxy since last August and it has helped me a lot). You might find that you experience a whole lot of improvement with all these drugs. I am probably just one of those wierd cases where my eyes couldn't tolerate all the different things I was putting in them. I think I may have sensitivities to certain drugs. Everybody is different and you have to experiment to find out what works best for you when you have these kinds of eye problems. Best of luck to you and I hope you get things under control soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC981
just diagnosed with dry eye , blepharitis, allergic conjunctavitis , superficial keratitis, and to top it off a benign neoplasm in my orbital region !!!!

my opthamologist of course gave me Restasis for the dry eye which is my primary diagnosis ... but I'm also on Zaditor for itching and burning , Alrex for the kerattis, Doxycycline tabs for infection, and Refresh Celluvisc like 10 times a day ...

my question is ... it says on the Restasis labels and my pharmacy labels that using topical anti imflammatory drugs at the same time will mean the Restatsis won't increase tear production ... so, should I give up my steriod drops (Alrex) to let the Restasis work (it was like $100 w/o insurance) !

surely the doctor would have said something though, right ? should I ask him or just do like he says and do all 3 prescription drops 2 times a day .... just seems like using allergy drops, steriod drops, and Restasis (didn't know it was cyclosporine) at the same time would cause one not to work ... am I just paranoid ? your thoughts would be appreciated thanx
You should call the doctor and ask him how you should dose all the meds. He might suggest a different dosing schedule. I had doseage issue problems with the Restasis when I first started it and had to call the eye doctor about it (re: yield per vile/dosage). It's a new medication, I think everyone is getting used to it. Take Care, Gemi

Old 03-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

The Zaditor won't have any interaction with either of the other meds. But you are right to question using the Restasis and the Alrex at the same time. Call your doctor and tell him what you read, that steroids and Restasis should not be used together and see what he says.

Three drops sounds like a lot right now, but I know how you feel. I used to have to put four different drops in my eyes 2-3 times a day. I believe I was using three different kinds of allergy drops (one mast cell blocker, one for something else, and one for something else) and a steroid. We eventually realized that the allergy drops were not really helping so much, and that the steroid was the only thing that was working. (and even that was not so great.) You probably won't have to be on this large amount of drops for very long. I would also think that since Restasis is an anti-inflammatory, you might be able to use just that, instead of the Alrex as well, which is another type of anti-inflammatory. I'm sure that you won't have to be on the allergy drops for more than a few weeks. And most doctors don't leave patients on steroids for more than a few weeks either unless they have a very serious inflammatory disorder. I imagine that in a few weeks all you'll be using is Restasis and preservative free artificial tears. Your doctor probably just prescribed the Alrex and the Zaditor so that you could get rid of the discomfort and inflammation sooner rather than later. For lack of a better term, he probably just wants to use these drops to get you "over the hump" and stabilize your condition a little bit. Then once your eyes aren't quite as bad from using the Zaditor and the Alrex, hopefully the only anti-inflammatory drop you'll need is the Restasis.

Oh jeez. I'm rambling on and on, aren't I? Ok, just one last thing.

A word of caution about using steroids. Steroids can be wonderful, wonderful treatment tools, and the Alrex will probably make your eyes feel a lot better. )hopefully!) But be careful of two things. First, whenever a patient is on steroids the doctor should take care to check that patient's intra-ocular pressure at least once ever few weeks. Most people do not get increased pressure from steroids, but there are some people who are known as "steroid responders." Those people may have totally normal pressure one day and have high pressure the next. Intra-Ocular Pressure that is left high for too long can lead to Glaucoma. (or in this case, Steroid Induced Glaucoma.) So make sure to get your pressure checked, and call your doctor if you notice any vision changes. The other thing is that if you are taken off of the steroids immediately, you could have withdrawl symptoms in your eyes. They would get itchy, etc... So when you are ready to stop, don't go from using them twice a day to not using them at all. Maybe go from twice a day to once a day, then stop. Wean yourself off of them.

Good luck, and please keep us all posted on what the doctor says about using steroids and Restasis together.

Elyse

Old 05-12-2004, 08:09 AM   #5

sandrae HB User
Smile Re: Restasis Question !?!

No, you are not paranoid. i saw this on the Restasis information too. (It also said something about plugged ducts). i would certainly ask your eye dr. and i would take the Restasis label and show him where it says it. i would also call a pharmacist and ask him even before you take your label to the Dr. Please let me know what the Dr. says as i have plugs and I am on steroids and I might be starting Restasis!
Thanks,
S

Closed Thread