It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

wessman01 HB User
Question Stringy eye gunk <-- Scientific name :)

A question about stringy eye gunk... Everyday I get milky to almost clear stringy er... um... things, in my eye. They don't really interfere with my life, they just sometimes cause a blurring of my vision while they are in my field of vision. When I manage to get ahold of one end of one I pull it and it comes off of the surface of my eye like a string. Sometimes my eyes are itchy but not often, I have developed circles under my eyes over the last 2 years, and in that time period the white things have appeared. I have no known allergies to anything and I am wondering, (yes, here comes the question ), WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE STUPID WHITE STRINGY THINGS AND HOW THE HECK CAN I BANISH THEM FROM MY EYES!?!?!?!!? Sorry, frustration... thanks for the help.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: Stringy eye gunk <-- Scientific name :)

Allergy mucus - I get that in the spring especialy after my eye itches a lot. I wonder if allergy drops wold help? I don't know about that, I never tried anything. But if you see it more after the eye is itchy, it would be definitely allergy related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

I get that a lot, along with severe dry eyes. But my doctor tells me that the string white stuff (gross, isn't it?) is definitely allergy related. It's also not helped if your eyes are dry. He told me that sometimes doing hot compresses will make the mucus come to the surface, so that may be one way to get it out of your eye. I've pulled out some that are more than an inch long! Ugh!!!!

Old 08-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

EEEEWWWWW!!! Gross topic! Just be glad they are clear and not green! I had some green gunk in my eye once and it turned out to be pink eye! Talk about gross,,,,,,Pink eye is nasty.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, the clear stuff is just an annoyance. Nothing serious. But if it starts to turn yellow or green, you have to see an ophthalmologist. Susie, I've had pink eye more times than I can count on my hands, so I know what you mean.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
(male)

wessman01 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stringy eye gunk <-- Scientific name :)

Hey guys/gals... Thanks for your responses. Don't ya just love allergies?!!?!?! I never had allergies but about 5 years ago I began to develop classic allergy symptoms.Never knew about adult onset allergies until I got em'. Now I am 29 and everyday is a battle against invisible enemies. Oh well, better allergies than something more serious I should consider myself lucky. Thanks again...

Old 08-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, aren't allergies just wonderful? If your eye allergies get to be very bothersome, you can always go to an ophthalmologist and get an allergy drop such as Patanol or Elestat. That might help you some.

Closed Thread