It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

healthy2b HB User
7 Yr. Old Son, Repeated EYE INFECTION, NOT PINK EYE?????????

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it so much!

My 7 year old son, just this fall, began getting eye infections that were being treated as pink eye. The weird thing is, so is my neighbors 3 year old and they play together sometimes. We are going crazy! We've washed all their toys, even bicycle handles, kept them apart for weeks and both treated at same time and they both are fine, and still, my son keeps getting infections after playing with this boy. I feel like this is a crazy coincidence! They were recently apart for 10 days, both fine and then we met at a park, next morning, eye infection! Her son has been fine, not mine.
Just the other day, they played together again, my son woke up this morning, swollen crusty, oozy red eye-AGAIN! Using eye drops again. We were just at the doctor Monday, it went away on Tuesday and back again today. The lid is really swollen too!
Doctor is at a loss and wants me to see an Opthomologist. Nobody in our home (even sharing toys, towels etc. ) has gotten anything, nobody is sick, nobody in his class has had anything? Since not contagious to us, why do they keep getting it? Dr. suggested eye condition, tear duct problem?Anybody have some input? Seeing the doctor end of this month! I appreciate anything
!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
(male)

sk11 HB User
Re: 7 Yr. Old Son, Repeated EYE INFECTION, NOT PINK EYE?????????

I guess three ways you can get infection of eye
1)put germs in eye i.e rubbing eye etc
2) unable to get rid of germ i.e. duct blockage and don't drain infection
3) poor immune system I guess recent eye infection can set you up for more infection

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User

If the infections are that severe when he gets them your son needs to see the opthomologist sooner than at the end of the month. Call your docs office and have them get you an appointment with the opthomologist sooner. Obviously your son is either picking up the the bacteria somewhere in the house or the neighbor still has the bacteria even though he doesn't show any syptoms. In other words the neighbor may be a carrier. Remind your son to wash his hands thoroughly ANYtime he touches his face and be sure he is using a towel and wash cloth all his own. I would recommend giving him a fresh towel and washcloth to use every day and his own soap dispenser with liquid soap to wash with. You also mentioned eye gtts and I would make sure when you instill the eye drops that the dropper portion does not touch the eye at all. If the dropper touches the eye you need to throw the bottle out and get a new one as the bottle would then be contaminated. Also be sure you don't touch the top of the open container with your hands and place the cap open side UP when set it down. If you place the cap open side down on the table that too is considered contaminated. As already mentioned call the doc and have your docs office get the opthomologist appointment scheduled ASAP so you can get this under control. Good Luck.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

healthy2b HB User

Thank you for your responses....I know all about the contamination part with the bottle etc....I didn't think about the neighbor being a carrier w/ no symptoms though. Thanks, and I will see what happens with the opthamologist, it's actually next week!
Thanks again!

Closed Thread