It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

jessica_v2 HB User
Puffy Bags under Eyes

I am 34 years old and noticed early last week that I had these puffy swollen bags under my eyes. I don't have dark circles, its the same skin tone as rest of my face, but it's added like 10 years to my face and makes me look sickly. I used to get by with looking much younger for my age so this is really distressing. Not sure what caused them but it's been a week now with no improvement. I had been using an anti-wrinkle cream (Avon ANEW Line and Wrinkle Corrector) on my face and around my eyes for about 2 months daily. I did some research later and found out that could be what caused it, by inflating and weighing down the sensitive skin under the eye. I stopped using the product early last week. If that was indeed the cause shouldn't the puffiness go away and how long might it take to do so? I suspected if that was the problem that I would recover within a few days of not using it and its been a week already. I tried cold compresses, cucumbers, an eye gel that is supposed to remove puffyness in the past week and nothing has helped reduce the puffyness.

Also, I know that both water retention and dehydration can cause bags under eyes too due to liver problems, hypothyroidism, hormone fluctuations, etc. If things do not improve in the next week I guess I will need to see a doctor. But I was a little disturbed when I read some articles on the internet that basically stated once bags under eyes develop, there is no way to get rid of them short of surgery. I hope this is not true. If the underlining cause of the bags is removed, whether its the anti-wrinkle cream, hormone fluctuation, thyroid problem (with treatment), etc... shouldn't the puffyness go away or is this permanent without surgery? Looks like I aged 10 years in one week

Last edited by jessica_v2; 01-31-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #2

rufusdog1936 HB User
Re: Puffy Bags under Eyes

Hi Jessica,
I just turned 32 last week and I, too, aged 10 years in one week.

About four months ago today I literally woke up and discovered these bags under my eyes. I thought that it was because I didn't get enough sleep or maybe I was retaining water, so i went to the family doctor to see what she thought. It just so happened that I got off the birth control pill around that time, so my doc said it was probably due to hormonal fluctuations and I should give it three months to go away. So far, the problem hasn't corrected itself but I'm not sure if it got worse, either. Because it hadn't gone away in three months, i went to an opthamalogist. He examined me and said it was probably fluid...after all, this condition seemed to occur overnight so it couldn't be accumulation of fat which takes a lot more time to develop. I've become pretty anxious about this in the last couple of months so i've looked into surgical alternatives...but I'm a pretty conservative person and this would be an extreme measure for me to take. Yesterday, I contacted an oculoplastic surgeon (because he's not only an opthamalogist but also has addtional training and experience on the subject) to make an appointment but the earliest opening is march 9, so i can get back to you on what he says. When I made my appt, his receptionist told me over the phone that it sounds like my tear ducts aren't draining properly. I know this is the receptionist talking, but I'm sure she said this because she sees this sort of condition diagnosed by the eye doc all the time.

Like you, I'd really like to avoid surgery because I've heard a number of stories of people who have a cadaverous 'hollow-eyed' look due to the removal of too much fat around the eyes. Plus, I assume that the removal of fat might lead to wrinkles and I'm not sure if it's worth the trade-off -- and expense...

Btw I think I forgot to mention that I had my thyroid levels checked and the tests came back normal...so I think this pretty much rules out hormonal fluctuations. This condition is baffling and I'm surprised to hear someone else is going through the same thing. Jessica, I hope to have an answer for both of us about this very shortly. Keep me posted on your condition...

Rufusdog1936

Old 02-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

jessica_v2 HB User

I just got email notification of your response, thanks for your input. You mentioned that you just came off birth control pills. Maybe I should be a little more honest. I am male, but didnt develop right at puberty, and have been recently self medicating myself with hormones (estrogen\progesterone\and anti-androgen drugs) for about a year and had recently changed the dosage about two weeks before I noticed the problem (I am contimplating sexual re-assignment surgery). I stopped taking hormones after I noticed the problem. So far, my eyes seem the same, I dont see any improvement or worsening really. I know that it was wreckless to self medicate myself like that and if that did cause this, maybe I deserve it, I just hope that my eyes go back to how they were before the problem started.

I saw a doctor last week to have my liver funtion, kidney function, and thyroid checked, as well as for diabetes as possible causes of water retention. I did not mention the hormones but will if I need to. But if hormones caused the problem it would be because it affected the funtion or caused one of those four things, I would think.

The puffiness isnt directly under my eyes but more above the cheeks. In fact, its like a line curving downward from the inside corner of eye to above cheek and everything in between to under lower eyelid is puffy. But my left eye is weird, it kind looks sunken somewhat but that may be due to a demple in the middle of dark spot at corner of eye or that it is more puffy underneathe than right eye which maybe gives the appearance of the eye being sunken somewhat, but it seems to be both sunken a little directly under eye and then puffy just under that, if that makes sense. Anyway, just thought I would be more honest and add this info. I still wonder if the ant-wrinkle cream I used around eyes might be the cause, but not sure. I expect the test results next week and I am interested in what you find out on March 9th.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:34 AM   #4

rufusdog1936 HB User

Hi Jessica,
I'm at work now and it's really busy around here, so this message will be extremely short...

I went to an opthamologist yesterday and since I was there, I asked him if anti-wrinkle cream could've caused the undereye puffiness. He told me that he's never heard of that happening. This opthamologist has pretty impressive credentials and is a diplomate board member of opthamology, so I feel comfortable with his opinion. Thought you might want to know...

Btw, I still have an appt with the oculoplastic surgeon on Mar 9th, so will keep you posted on that one...

Take care.
Rufusdog1936

Closed Thread