It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

chuzzlewit HB User
Halos and glare around lights at night?

About 3 years ago, I developed floaters in both eyes for no obvious reason. Well, I've learned to accept that they are probably harmless and will not go away. Now in the past year or so I notice when I look at a streetlight or oncoming headlights (at night), there is a big halo. At first I thought it was just a little bit foggy or something. Now I've realized the problem is always there, whether I'm wearing glasses or contacts. I've read this is common as people get into their 70's, get cataracts, or after LASIK. However, I am only 30 and haven't had LASIK. Does anyone else see Halos for no apparent reason? I had a general eye exam a few months ago, but forgot to mention this (I usually only think about it when it happens at nighttime). Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-12-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: Halos and glare around lights at night?

Yea, that's the only thing I heard of that would cause halos - cataracts... however, is anything else a little blurry during the day? Maybe the halos are just "fuzzy" lights from you needing a little stronger prescription. That would definitely make it look like halos.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
(male)

justinluck HB User

No, halos are not only caused by cataracts. I am 24 and developed literally hundreds of floaters in both my eyes over night when I was 21. I have 20/20 vision and doctors can not explain why it happened to me, but the vitreous in both my eyes spontaneously separated from my retinas simultaneously. Floaters will always be a real nuisance, but I am putting up with them until the vitrectomy is improved.

Halos are a very common problem for floater sufferers. The distortions are caused by light diffracting through the floater debris before reaching your retinas. I know, if I ever drive at night, large halos develop around headlights and traffic lights. Of course driving during the day can be even worse with all the dark floaters obscuring my vision

Chuzzlewit, have you been to FloaterTalk yet? It's the main forum that floater sufferers visit.

Take care, Justin

Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
(male)

chuzzlewit HB User

Justin,
Thanks for your informative response. I developed many floaters simulataneously in both eyes around age 28, but noone has ever indicated PVDs in my case. From my research, those are uncommon in young people, and would be rare to happen in both eyes at the same time. Have you had more than one DR confirm that you have vitreous detachment? On the other hand, developing massive floaters in both eyes in a young person without PVD also seems like a rare occurrence. No DR has really ever given me an explanation. I guess looking back the halos probably started with my floaters. I have read about the vitreous degrading which I figure I have, and scares me since it seems it will only get worse (seems like the halos are getting worse). I have been to Floatertalk but didn't see anything about halos. It stinks to have the floater problem during the day and the halo problem at night! On a bright sunny day, if i look down at light-colored cement, like a sidewalk, it looks like I'm looking through dirty pondwater.

The following user gives a hug of support to chuzzlewit:
RSteen628 (04-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to chuzzlewit For This Useful Post:
RSteen628 (04-02-2011)
Closed Thread