It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
(male)

londonbluefish HB User
Blurry Vision in Left Eye

Hi,

I noticed last weekend as I was walking in the countryside that everything looked rather misty when looking through my left eye. I had a cataract removed just over 2 years ago, the operation was a success, and I have been far-sighted since then. My near-sight was also much improved though had been slightly fuzzy and so I often use non-prescription reading glasses.

My blurred vision seems worse than my cataract ever was. I actually had quite sharp vision but with reduced colour depth in my left eye. Vision wasn't blurred like this (which is what my right eye used to be like before that cataract was removed)

The blurriness and sensitivity to glare is worse in, or looking into, natural daylight. My sight is relatively good at night time, and under artificial light (both fluorescent and normal electric lighting). My long-distance sight is improved somehwat if I squint, or if I block some of the incoming light (by looking through a gap between my fingers, for example). My wife looked into my left eye yesterday and said it looked dilated, which might account for the glare. Sometimes (particularly outside during the day) the blurriness is very bad, at other times it's not that noticeable at all.

There is no physical discomfort. I do use a VDU screen significantly at work but try to take regular breaks and vary my long to near sight focus. It has only become noticeable in the last week or so, though it could have been deteriorating before that. Interestingly, it has improved the vision in my right eye, which has been trying to compensate for the sight loss.

i read about the possibility of a "secondary membrane" developing, or "posterior capsular opacification'" (I don't know if these are the same thing) occuring in 25-50% of patients after 2 or more years. I meet the timescale for this.

Alternatively, it could be brought about by an infection, or strain, or diet...

I have an appointment with an optician next Saturday, and could be referred from there if laser surgery might be required. I am just interested to know what sort of things could cause this.

Thanks for any advice or info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
(male)

thegriff01 HB User
Re: Blurry Vision in Left Eye

I have the exact same thing you described in my left eye. I just wish someone could give some advice on the subject, its starting to scare me some. thanks

Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I'm going to have cataract surgery in a few days and have been doing some research.
I don't have any concrete answers, but, in general, you should see your ophthalmologist to determine if it's something easily remedied, something not-so easily remedied, an indication of something serious which can or cannot be prevented.
And who says I don't have any common sense? I just have to look it up in journals.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Everyone, I just posted to seriousperson on the other thread.(Serious, just wanted to wish you luck).
I encountered this after my cataract surgery, too. Not sure how long after, maybe a couple of years. Anyway, the lens capsule can become cloudy and this clouding can easily be remedied by laser. Basically, they just "burn" a tiny hole in the lense capsule, which took all of a few minutes. And off you go! I had it done, waited a little bit to put my contact lense back in and all better! That was about (guessing here) 15 yrs ago. No problems since.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Hellas rules, that is just what I was going to say!

My daughter had laser surgery after both her cataract operations and they went well. Young peoples cloud over quite soon after surgery, so they do this as standard procedure.

There is no pain, you just sit in a darkened room in front of the laser and the doc will shoot a light beam on your eye to make a small circle hole for your vision to come through. I sat with my daughter and she was great and said she didn't feel a thing.

See your eye doc, he will sort it easily for you!

Good luck.

Closed Thread