It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
(male)

phantoap HB User
one eyelid feeling swollen

24 male. My left eyelid has felt kind of swollen constantly for one month now and the corner of the eye will feel kind of puffy too. Looking at both eyelids you can't really see it. Maybe looking really close you can see that the left eyelid looks very slightly fatter, but I'm probably just fooling myself. On the first day I thought it would be pink eye, but that never happened. There are no vision problems and the whites of the eye are white. There never was any sign of redness on the either the actual eyeball or the lids. No problem with the functioning of the eyelid, it opens and closes fine. It feels sort of like it could be related to sinus pressure on that side, but I don't know. I feel some occasional sinus aches but they are mild and not constant and I would normally just brush this sort of pain off. Could there be a sinus problem that might cause a symptom like this on one side like that? I have some seasonal allergies, but nothing too bad I don't think. There's no green or yellow discharge or fever or anything like that so it doesn't seem to be a sinus infection, right? I've never personally had one. One odd thing is that recently my other eye sometimes has felt very itchy like maybe an allergy thing, but the swollen feeling left eye wouldn't feel so itchy at all. I don't know what's up with this. Pharmacists thought it was weird that this symptom was just on one side and said to try sudafed to see if it relieves some possible sinus pressure. It doesn't seem to affect the swollen feeling, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
(female)

Lilly10 HB User
Re: one eyelid feeling swollen

I replied to you when you posted on the allergy boards. I have the same thing my right eye feels weird since May 1st. I have seen the eye doctor several times and have been told my eyes look healthy. My GP along with one of the opthamoligist are telling me they think it is some form of migraine without the severe headache?? Im not really buying that though. Like you I think this eye feeling on one side could be sinus related but Im really not sure. I have nasal congestion from time to time with out any discharge at all. The other thing I notice is that from time to time my jaw feels funny have no idea if that is related to my eye. So I continue my search to find out what is wrong with my eye. I'm going to request to see an ear nose and throat doctor perhaps he will see something in my sinuses that my GP did not?? Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

phantoap HB User

yeah, migraines without the headache sounds like grasping at straws. Would a migraine ever continue nonstop since may (june in my case)?
I wonder if most people would just ignore something like this and I'm just letting anxiety get the best of me (common on these boards). I keep trying to tell myself if this were really problem it would be more severe, more painful, more something. That works much of the time but every once in a while I just think "what the hell is this?!" and dwell on it for a day or two. Is a month (or two+ months for you, Lilly) a long time to have symptoms like this? I really have no idea.

Does your eyelid also not really look swollen but just feel that way? I have allergies, but this is not a symptom I have ever had or heard about. Well swollen sinuses can happen with allergies, but I don't think it's ever in just one eye and constantly for over a month like this. I try to find out what it is, but nothing fits. From my understanding sinusitis would come with a whole bunch of cold-like symptoms that I just don't have. I'd see my GP but I think my insurance is gone and I can't justify spending hundreds to go to the doctor for something that isn't severe and is relatively pain free. That's our health system for you. Wait until it's really serious.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

Yes my upper eyelid feels puffy but does not look puffy (well if I sit there and analyze it, it sort of does). Ever since this started I have been aware of all kinds of other things with my eyes like floaters because I am so focused on my eye all the time. I have tried allergy meds and they have not helped. I have also tried nasacort nasal spray and that one seemed to help a little but not much.

You are better off not going to the doctors as they have not done anything for me just had me get all kinds of test that come back fine. Now my doctor is trying me on migraine medication and that is not doing anything which comes as no surprise. When I first noticied this I told my doctor that it feels like there is pressure on my eye. This feeling does not hurt but it just feels different then my other eye.

Do you have health anxiety?? I do. Not to say that my eye feeling is not real because it is but I think my anxiety is making me think about it all the time. Just like you said dwell on it. Well hopefully this will just go away but who knows when.

Keep me posted and I will do the same. Lilly

Oh you said you tried sudafed?? Well I tried Clariton D and that helped a little bit but now that my doctor has me on this migraine medication (that i will stop tomorrow) I cant take that.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
(male)

phantoap HB User

Yeah, I definitely get health anxiety. I know exactly what you mean about focusing on it and noticing all kinds of other things. Like my itchy other eye I would normally brush off as allergies. My right ear feels a little blocked, like there's some fluid in there. Lately there's the occasional headache, too (maybe from stress of worrying) and a few mild sinus aches. None of these are too out of the ordinary for me and are fairly typical allergy symptoms, but in the context of this eye swelling I can't help but wonder how they could be connected. But then, none of those symptoms have been constant for a month like the swollen feeling.

Yeah, sudafed, or rather generic pseudoephedrine medicine, does nothing for it. I will have to get some claritin D because I remember it working well for my allergies in past years. Anyway, here's hoping we don't have to put up with this for too long.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
(male)

phantoap HB User

Lilly, I wonder have you tried the nasal irrigation that seems to be so popular on the allergy board? I haven't yet, but I've been thinking maybe it's worth a try if this whole thing really is about swollen sinuses.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #7
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

No I have not tried nasal irrigation. I just did a search on the internet about it and got some instructions on how to do it from an ear nose and throat page. I'm going to try that. Today my eye feels really swollen and I can tell that it looks pretty swollen as well. I live in the Northeast and the pollen is hight today as is the mold count.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #8
(male)

phantoap HB User

Yeah, I'm in New England and my allergies were acting up yesterday. Also, I've been more getting headaches lately. Whether they are sinus/puffy eyelid related or some kind of mild migraine (would explain the swelling according to your doctors, right?) or just tensions headaches from anxiety is anybody's guess.

When you try the irrigation, let me know what you did and whether it not it had positive results.
I just tried the cheap way with just a straw and 1/4 tablespoon salt in 8 oz of water and tilting my head back. I get the feeling this method might not deliver enough water. First couple times I didn't tilt my head back very far and it just came out of my mouth.

So now your eyelid is visibly swollen? How visible is it? For me it's still something you can't see just looking at me and only maybe even if you are looking closely, but it always feels at least a little swollen. BTW, the last couple of days I have not had work and in days off I just end up focusing on that left eye and wondering when it's going to stop feeling this way!

Last edited by phantoap; 07-14-2005 at 11:00 PM.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #9
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

I'm in New England as well. When my eye looked puffy yesterday I would not say that anyone other then myself could notice it. I will try irrigation tonight. I was just talking to my coworker who has sinus problems and she swears by it she said that she irrigates every day.

I know what you mean about having time off and thinking about this annoying eye problem. I have been wanting to take some time off of work this summer but what fun would that be when you dont feel like yourself.

Have you ever had any allergy testing? I never have and I have never really had allergies that I can recall. I read an interesting article about mold the other day, in the article it stated that mold can affect only one nostril and people who have a mold allergy usualy wake up around 3 am feeling anxious because of the adrenaline that mold causes in our systems. I do wake up between 3am and 4 am most mornings and I feel anxious but who knows if that is why I just found that interesting.

I will let you know how the irrigation goes for me.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
(male)

phantoap HB User

Yes I read a similar article and was thinking the same about how it could be a mold thing. However, I didn't see the thing about one nostril so that's interesting. As far as the 3 AM wakeups go, The hours for work are very late and I am usually still working at 3 so I have no clue about that. In the past I know I would frequently wake up at a certain time of night, but I can't remember when.

When I was pretty young (think 5-10 years old) I started to get bad allergies and I had some allergy tests. I remember they were scratch tests where they'd scratch many potential allergens into your skin. They didn't find anything that I was particularly allergic to, though. Yet I still have allergies all year round and it's always much, much worse in spring and summer.

Closed Thread