It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #1

ImASadGirl22 HB User
Question eye moles???

Hi all.
i went to the dr today for an annual eye exam and while i was there the dr said " you know you have a mole on the back of your eye right?" um, no i didnt know that. i asked her what it does and she said it will just hang out there and when i asked if i need to be concerned she said it will just have to be monitored. I have been kinda worried about it ever since so i just came home and looked some stuff up on them. i couldnt find too much on them on any site but the little info i did find, seemed to imply that they can very well be cancerous and have a tendecy to be if cancer runs in your family. does anyone else here have a mole on the back of thier eye? does anyone know anything about them. I am pretty freaked out by it since i have been getting yearly eye exams for about 20 years and never once have been told that i have this. so i dont know if it just grew in the past year or so. does anyone know anything about this?
thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: eye moles???

A choroidal nevus is a flat (and often pigmented) "mole" inside the eye. A nevus is usually benign and dark in color. A choroidal nevus is found inside the eye within the choroidal vessel layer (deep to the retina). Think of a nevus as being similar to freckles or a mole.A choroidal nevus is often not a problem but your doctor will always monitor them for changes. Your doctor will follow the nevus using fundus photography or ultrasound. The size, shape, and elevation will be documented as rare cases can evolve into malignant melanomas. In very rare cases, the nevus may be biopsied to check for melanoma.

You really deserve an explaination from your Eye Dr. as to,in fact, where the 'mole" was located in your eye. (eg:choroidal nevus). Call her back or visit her for a consultation. Good luck.

Eyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread