It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Re: This Is Strange But Nice!

That happens to me sometimes too.

I am looking forward to trying out some goggles. I think I am going to research them some more and see which ones I would like to get and then if I have to be fitted for them, call the optician that my doctor recommended.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Elyse, Have you been able to find any goggles that work for you yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Just a short and final note-- I was allowed to stop the steroid eye drops and will see the Dr. again next week.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Tony

Old 12-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Huh? Where are you going Tony?

Missy, I have not really looked into the goggles any more. I've been really tired from the sinus infection, and not really on the computer very much. I would really like to actually be able to see a pair in person before I actually buy them. I could probably call one of the companies and purchase it over the phone, but it is a lot of money to spend on something sight unseen. Especially something that has to be so personally fitted. I wonder if I go to the optician that my doctor recommended, if he has any in stock or anything similar that he could show me. I want to be able to see and touch them and try them on. I wouldn't just buy a pair of glasses without trying them on, so I don't really feel comfortable buying goggles without trying them on.

I wonder if there is anyone else out there who has had any luck with a particular brand or store that might be able to give some advice. My doctor really doesn't know much about it. I guess the optician is probably my best bet. You know, I just remembered that my friend's father does something that has to do with supplying eyeglasses, and he might know some people too.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #20
(female)

sdv HB User

Hi everyone,

I think a whole bunch of one of Tony's threads got deleted? I was trying to re-read it to respond, and I couldn't find it. And yes, I am wondering too..where is Tony going???

Elyse - I think you had asked me about NYC. I was up there for a funeral actually. My bf's grandmother passed away. So, it wasn't really a pleasure visit although we did walk around and see some of the Christmas stuff. It was pretty there, especially after the snow. Next time I'm up there though (we have some friends there), it would be nice if we could get together. About the googles...I would imagine that if this optician guy fits people for them, then he might have some sample pairs around to try on. I certainly wouldn't want to spend that much money without trying them on either, and I dont' think many people would. I hope that your sinuses are feeling alot better. Sounds like everyone has come down with something lately.

My eyes aren't feeling so hot right now, but overall I guess they have been a bit better lately. The last 2 or 3 days have been a little rough, but not too awful. However, right now they are kinda burning and my vision is a little blurry. That hasn't happened in a while, so I don't know what is up. I think being in the grocery store after work for too long irritated them a bit. The air in some stores is not good on my dry eyes!

However, I did have a dr. appt. this morning, and things went pretty well there. She kinda rushed through things and was not as thorough as before, but maybe that is because things looked better to her. She said that my tear film looked alot better and that my corneas looked moist! She also said that my blepharitis looked good, so I think I will stick to my warm compress and lid scrub routine..it must be working. I'm going to go back in 2 weeks and have her put punctul plugs in. They are temporary but are supposed to last up to 3 months. By then, it will be March, and things will be warming up and hopefully my eyes will have healed alot too, and maybe I won't even need them anymore. Oh, and they called for me, and my insurance will cover them, so I will only have to pay my $20 copay. I really hope that my eyes start producing more tears on their own soon though. I will be greatful if the plugs help me, but I really don't like the idea of being dependent on them. I just want to be normal again and back to my old self . The doctors seem to think that I have made steps in the direction over the last month, so I hope that is the case. I just get worried because it is so hard to see progress when things are fluctuating all over the place!

However, I did want to mention something. At my appt. last week, they said that my tear film looked really good too, and that tear production was my only problem. And to be honest, with the exception of how they feel right now, I think I have noticed that it is better. My vision is usually clear, I dont' have as many problems in front of my computer, etc. So, if it really is better I just wanted to mention a few things that I've been doing for the past month or 6 weeks or so that might have helped. First ofcourse being that maybe my stubborn eyes have finally decided to heal a little, which isn't really any help to any of you..but what might be.....I think we are all doing this already, but I think the liquid flax seed oil that Faith recommended has helped me. Also, I'm taking those HydroEye supplements that I mentioned before. I can't say for sure if they have helped, but I think something that I've been doing has helped, so this could be it. It is $30 for a months supply and I think the recommend that you use it for atleast 2-3 months to see if it makes a difference, so it might be something you guys want to look into if you think it would help. I only ordered 2 months the first time, but I plan to order some more and take if for the duration of all this. I wonder how if my eyes finally do get better, I will ever wean myself off the endless number of drops, gels, pills, etc. that I am now using!

Well, I think I'm gonna try to get to bed early again tonight. My eyes are asking me for a break right now. I hope that you all are feeling better and that your eyes are better too! Hugs to all of you!

Michelle

Old 12-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry about your boyfriend's grandmother Michelle.

Unfortunately we will never be able to get together because we are not allowed to exchange phone numbers or addresses or e-mail addresses here.

Tony, don't leave! We'd miss you too much! Nobody wants you to leave!

I wouldn't worry about being dependent on the plugs Michelle. If you are, you are. It's not terrible, if they help you. It's good that your insurance will pay for it. Mine did not have a problem with it either. My tear ducts are permanently closed. My doctor cauterized them shut. At the time, we didn't have the option of using the "Smartplugs" (the ones that go all the way into your tear duct and dissolve after a few months.) They weren't out yet. (And he says that with my luck, he'd put them in and they'd go ALL THE WAY IN like they should, and mold to my ducts and then I'd have an allergic reaction, and he wouldn't be able to get them out!) I only had the regular silicone plugs. They helped, but the problem was that my tear ducts dilated around them. My ducts would get a little larger because of the foreign object in them, and the plugs would fall out or move and irritate me. (The final straw was when one moved into such a position that it scratched my cornea. He IMMEDIATELY removed the other three!) My tear ducts just kept on dilating with each larger sized plug. That would create a gap and my tears would seep out through my tear ducts anyway. Eventually we exhausted all of the available sizes. I went through two or three different sizes. He wanted to give me the next size up, but it was too big and it wouldn't fit. Cauterization was the only available option. Or my eyes would dry out so much that I'd end up with permanent scarring and vision loss. Since the cauterization of all 4 tear ducts (most people only get the two lowers ones done, but I needed all 4) I have much more tears. They may not be the right quality, but the quantity is better. There are still a lot of times when I don't have enough tears, but the goal was to make it so that I wouldn't have any more bad corneal abrasions. If you can believe it, I was a hundred thousand times worse before I had the punctal occlusion done. I have never regretted it for a second. The only thing is that they don't recommend using Restasis if you have plugs or have been cauterized.

Don't be afraid to get plugs. They will help.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:05 AM   #22
(female)

sdv HB User

Tony..we know you are out there! What is all this crazy talk about final posts and stuff? Where are we supposed to get our Eye Witless News from if you don't talk to us anymore!!!???

Elyse - Thanks for the condolenses for my bf's grandma. I appreciate it. Also, thanks for sharing your experience with the plugs/cauterization. I think my worry over them is just mostly my mental state. I'm still having a hard time dealing with the fact that I did this to myself!!! When my eyes weren't plugged, and I had good days, I knew that they were capable of being normal, or atleast close to normal, and it gave me some peace in all of this. Now that they are plugged though, I wonder if they are only good because they are plugged, if they actually are normal, etc. Obviously, I want to be comfortable, so I do WANT the plugs, I'm just kinda disappointed it had come to this. I remember months ago thinking that plugs and Restasis were only for those who were REALLY bad off...but now I'm trying them both, and the more options I exhaust, the more worried I get when I still have bad days. Sorry to be such a baby, Elyse...you've been down roads alot worse than me, and you handle it all with alot of grace. Me on the other hand....I'm going crazy . I just want to be normal again like I was before I made the huge mistake of letting someone cut and laser my eye. Maybe by March...when these new plugs wear off .

Anyway, I'm know that is what we all want..just to have normal eyes again and not have to deal with all this crap! Afterall, we certainly deserve it!!! Anyway, my eyes are pretty crappy today, which is probably why I'm feeling low.

Hi Faith and Missy - I hope that you guys are both doing well today!

Michelle

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2005 at 07:56 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Sometimes a motorcycle shop will have googles that you can try on. Then you could order them online or somewhere with prescription lenses. I think that they would be really helpful for you, but maybe kinda expensive.

Last edited by azebo; 08-02-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

I'm here, but only reading posts, mainly. I'm around.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Truthfully, I've not felt well with the *BLEEP!* I've been suffering with, but am feeling better now.

I'll be back. Hang tough, kids.

t.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Are my sinuses going to drain into my eyes? Is that why I get pink eye after a sinus infection sometimes? Or is it just that my immune system is so crappy? My sinuses are so congested, and I worry that the longer the sinus infection sticks around, the larger my chances of it having some affect on the eyes. So far my eyes are just chapped from the cold weather. (I am not looking forward to the snow tomorrow! I think I am going to hibernate!)
My sinuses are still very congested. (The decongestant I was prescribed was keeping me up until 3:00 in the morning!)

Missy, I think putting a time table on when you want your eyes to be back to "normal" by is just setting yourself up for a big let down. Don't tell yourself that maybe after the dissolvable plugs are gone in March you will feel better. But hey, if the plugs help then you should just get more put in in March. But just try to get used to the fact that they might never truly be normal again. You do know that when they do Lasik surgery, they cut some of the nerves that cause tear production, right? That's why people with dry eyes should never be allowed to have Lasik. I had asked my doctor about it once for myself, being that he is also a Lasik surgeon and he laughed at me! LOL!It would be a surefire way to make sure that my eyes never get cured! (not saying that yours won't get better, but I have pre-existing dry eyes that would get a hundred times worse with Lasik. I can't even imagine!)

Today it just didn't matter how many times I put drops in. They stayed very dry. But then again,*everything* is dry! Every time I sneeze my nose bleeds! I wish my cars heating system came with some sort of humdifier! Hello, auto makers of the world? Are you out there?

Tony, don't disappear on us. How is the vision doing?

Old 12-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Okay, considering I have this infection and bug. "Okay" meaning blurred until I get over this, the antibiotics out of my system, the folds lasered, glasses, then "okay" takes on a true meaning.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #28
(female)

sdv HB User

Hi everyone,

Tony - Sorry that you are having a rough time lately. Try to hang in there though, ok? We are here for you.

Elyse - Sorry that your sinuses are acting up too. It certainly is that time of the year for things to go wrong with sinuses! I'm surprised that i am not having more problems yet. I do understand that the corneal nerves were severed during lasik. The thing is, in most people, all those nerves heal right back up after surgery. I've read that the nerves can heal for up to 2 years. So, I just pray that my nerves are still in the process of healing, and I will eventually feel normal again. I know that if I accept this is permanent now, it may be easier on me emotionally in the long run, but I am currently NOT in the correct emotional state to accept the fact that I opted to have an elective surgey which ruined my healthy eyes and will cause me to suffer for the rest of my life. I really do think that I NEED to stay positive about this. You are right though...I should not put a time frame on it because it will lead to lots of disappointments, but I really do need to believe that someday I will be normal again. And if time goes by, and I am still not there, I think one day the thought of this being forever will be easier for me to deal with...just not right now .

Anyway, I hope that everyones eyes and sinuses start feeling better this evening. We are supposed to get snow here too, and luckily I'm off work tomorrow, so I don't need to deal with driving in it.

Michelle

Old 12-09-2005, 07:46 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, all- I can't express how sorry I am for my recent rotten moods. This *censored* infection is really stubborn. Maybe one day, I will be "me" again.

That's all I better say.

t.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User

Hi Tony, Sorry that you aren't feeling well, please take it easy and give yourself time to recover. I hope that the vision is still doing OK. When do you get the wrinkles lasered out?

Michelle, I hope you don't get snowed in!

Last edited by azebo; 08-02-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Closed Thread