It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

Flustered HB User
Exclamation Pars Planitis

I'm new to the posting boards - so I hope I'm not too long-winded!
I have been diagnosed with Pars Planitis and previously with Optic Neuritis. Been through the ringer over about 10 years with a lot of testing and NO major breakthroughs. I'm really getting burned out - but want to know if anyone out there may be experiencing similar things? I have been told I have a 50/50% chance of either having or developing MS - and now they suggest I get tested for Sarcoidosis. Thanks to anyone who can help! I'm feeling pretty alone lately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: Pars Planitis

It might be helpful for you to understand some definations of Uveitis and Pars Plantis : Uveitis is an inflammation of the the uvea, the layer between the sclera and the retina, which includes the iris, ciliary body, and the choroid. Uveitis is an inflammation inside the eye, affecting the uvea. The uvea provides most of the blood supply to the retina. Causes of uveitis can include autoimmune disorders, infection, or exposure to toxins. However in many cases, the cause remains unknown.Uveitis may develop following eye trauma or surgery, in association with diseases which affect other organs in the body, or may be a condition isolated to the eye itself. Severe and permanent visual loss can result from uveitis. In addition, uveitis can lead to other ocular complications, which may produce vision loss, including glaucoma, cataracts, or retinal damage. Early detection and treatment is necessary to reduce the risk of permanent vision loss.

Uveitis is most commonly classified anatomically as anterior, intermediate, posterior, or diffuse:

Anterior uveitis is localized primarily to the anterior segment of the eye and includes iritis and iridocyclitis.
Intermediate uveitis, also called peripheral uveitis, is centered in the area immediately behind the iris and lens in the region of the ciliary body and pars plana, hence the alternate terms "cyclitis" and "pars planitis."
Posterior uveitis signifies any of a number of forms of retinitis, choroiditis, or optic neuritis.
Diffuse uveitis implies inflammation involving all parts of the eye, including anterior, intermediate, and posterior structures.

I realize this a lot of information,however,if you have knowledge about your eye problem,it is helpful for you to understand you Dr's dx.

Eyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

Flustered HB User

Thank you for all the information - I do appreciate it. I have been also diagnosed over the years with iritis and uveitis. I have had a lot of itises.
Knowing more about the eye, I guess, doesn't bring me closer to knowing what is causing the eye problems and that's what is so frustrating. They are all inflammatory and, as I've been told and consequently read about, can be associated with certain illnesses. These include MS and Sarcoid, among others. Do you know anything about the connections? That might be more helpful than knowing more about the eyes. Just thought a person as knowledgeable as yourself might have even more useful information for me. Oh - and I was also using drops for what sounded like "snakey eye" I'm assuming it's asnachia or some other fancy term used by dr's. They fixed that by dilating - something was attatching itself to something? I don't know much about that either really. Just want an answer to the ongoing drops.
thanks so much for the quick response too!

Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Scleroderma is an activations of immune cells which produces scar tissue in the skin, internal organs, and small blood vessels. It affects women three times more often than men overall, but increases to a rate 15 times greater for women during childbearing years, and appears to be more common among black women.Symptoms: In most patients, the first symptoms are Raynaud's phenomenon and swelling and puffiness of the fingers or hands. Skin thickening follows a few months later. Other symptoms include skin ulcers on the fingers, joint stiffness in the hands, pain , sore throat, and diarrhea. Treatment: The drug D-penicillamine has been shown to decrease skin thickening. Symptoms involving other organs such as the kidneys, esophagus, intestines, and blood vessels are treated individually.

MS :A disease of the central nervous system that usually first appears between the ages of 20 and 40, and affects women twice as often as men. MS is the leading cause of disability among young adults. Symptoms: Numbness, weakness, tingling or paralysis in one or more limbs, impaired vision and eye pain, tremor, lack of coordination or unsteady gait and rapid involuntary eye movement. A history of at least two episodes of a cluster of symptoms is necessary for a diagnosis of MS. Because MS affects the central nervous system, symptoms may be misdiagnosed as mental illness. Treatment: The drug baclofen is used to suppress muscle spasticity, and corticosteroids help reduce inflammation. Interferons also are being used to treat this disease.

Immune system disorders occur when the immune response is inappropriate, excessive, or lacking. Autoimmune disorders develop when the immune system destroys normal body tissues. This is caused by a hypersensitivity reaction similar to allergies, where the immune system reacts to a substance that it normally would ignore. In allergies, the immune system reacts to an external substance that would normally be harmless. With autoimmune disorders, the immune system reacts to normal "self" body tissues.

Autoimmune disorders result in destruction of one or more types of body tissues, abnormal growth of an organ, or changes in organ function. The disorder may affect only one organ or tissue type or may affect multiple organs and tissues. Organs and tissues commonly affected by autoimmune disorders include blood components such as red blood cells, blood vessels, connective tissues, endocrine glands such as the thyroid or pancreas, muscles, joints, and skin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A synechia is an eye condition where the iris adheres to the either the cornea (i.e. anterior synechia) or lens (i.e. posterior synechia). Synechiae can be caused by ocular trauma or iritis and lead to certain types of glaucoma.Dilation of the pupil in an eye with synechia can cause the pupil to take an irregular (non-circular) shape. If the pupil can be fully dilated during the treatment of iritis, the prognosis for recovery from synechia is good.

I hope you a not "Flusterd" by all this information. Just remember knowledge that is put to good use,is knowledge worth having

Eyes

Old 01-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

Flustered HB User

Eyes,
I'm not flustered at ALL by all the information - this is what I've been looking for - in fact, I printed out the information you gave me for further reference. I've been reading some other things about the treatment of PP and found a lot of things saying that the drops are not the way to go. I'm on another 2-week schedule of taking these drops every 3 hours while awake and wondering if I'm going about it the wrong way because of what I've been reading. Have you any useful information on treatment of this?

Also - I've been through tests for everything from Lupus to Lymes and some for MS and nothing has been identified. I'm willing to subject myself to testing if there might some day be an outcome, but I did not return to the eye doctor at one time becuase I didn't have insurance. Now that I do, I guess that empowers me to try to dig into this again, providing it doesn't "break the bank".

I've been dealing with eye problems for years - and for even more years - I have had vertigo (which has been undiagnosed as anything), arthritis (which they are calling palindromic rheumatism - and I've read tons about), weird muscle aches and pulls (for no apparent reason whatsoever), and some other strange things that have been going on and getting worse lately - like biting my tongue a lot - feeling clumsy - being tired and getting depressed (probably from lack of sun and going through this). Anyway, I'll get to the end here - I eat healthy and exercise, I've lost weight to try to gain control over some of the arthritis and it seems to help sometimes, but for the most part - my problems seem to come and go whenever they feel like it and for no apparent reason and I'm just plain tired. - but NOT tired of reading anything else you might have that can help me learn or cope.

Thanks so much!!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Flustered:

Your sighs and symptoms may be Fibromyalgia. The following may be intrest :

FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) is a widespread musculoskeletal pain and fatigue disorder for which the cause is still unknown. Fibromyalgia means pain in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons – the soft fibrous tissues in the body.

Most patients with FMS say that they ache all over. Their muscles may feel like they have been pulled or overworked. Sometimes the muscles twitch and at other times they burn. More women than men are afflicted with FMS, and it shows up in people of all ages.

To help your family and friends relate to your condition, have them think back to the last time they had a bad flu. Every muscle in their body shouted out in pain. In addition, they felt devoid of energy as though someone had unplugged their power supply. While the severity of symptoms fluctuate from person to person, FMS may resemble a post-viral state. This similarity is the reason experts in the field of FMS and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) believe that these two syndromes may be one and the same. Gulf War syndrome also overlaps with FMS/CFS.

Pain - The pain of FMS has no boundaries. People describe the pain as deep muscular aching, throbbing, shooting, and stabbing. Intense burning may also be present. Quite often, the pain and stiffness are worse in the morning and you may hurt more in muscle groups that are used repetitively.

Fatigue - This symptom can be mild in some patients and yet incapacitating in others. The fatigue has been described as "brain fatigue" in which patients feel totally drained of energy. Many patients depict this situation by saying that they feel as though their arms and legs are tied to concrete blocks, and they have difficulty concentrating, e.g., brain fog.

Chronic headaches - Recurrent migraine or tension-type headaches are seen in about 50% of FMS patients and can pose a major problem in coping for this patient group.

Other common symptoms - Premenstrual syndrome and painful periods, chest pain, morning stiffness, cognitive or memory impairment, numbness and tingling sensations, muscle twitching, irritable bladder, the feeling of swollen extremities, skin sensitivities, dry eyes and mouth, dizziness, and impaired coordination can occur. Patients are often sensitive to odors, loud noises, bright lights, and sometimes even the medications that they are prescribed.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

The cause of FMS remains elusive, but there are many triggering events thought to precipitate its onset. A few examples would be an infection (viral or bacterial), an automobile accident or the development of another disorder, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or hypothyroidism. These triggering events probably don't cause FMS, but rather, they may awaken an underlying physiological abnormality that is already present.

What could this abnormality be? Theories pertaining to alterations in pain-related chemical transmitters (particularly substance P, nerve growth factor, serotonin, and norepinephrine), immune system function (e.g. abnormally elevated levels of cytokines that form the communications link between your immunologic and neurologic systems), sleep physiology, and hormonal irregularities are under investigation. In addition, modern brain imaging techniques are being used to explore various aspects of brain function. The body's response to exercise, stress, and alterations in the operation of your autonomic nervous system (the one that operates in your peripheral tissues) are also being evaluated. Substance P and nerve growth factor are increased threefold and fourfold (respectively) in the spinal fluid of people with FMS, but researchers are working to figure out why these elevations exist. With regards to genetics, its role in FMS is also the focus of many investigations

Traditional treatments are geared toward improving the quality of sleep and reducing pain. Deep level (stage 4) sleep is crucial for many body functions (such as tissue repair, antibody production, and the regulation of various neurotransmitters, hormones and immune system chemicals). Therefore, the sleep disorders that frequently occur in FMS patients are treated first because they may be a strong contributing factor to the symptoms of this condition. Medications that boost your body's level of serotonin and norepinephrine (neurotransmitters that modulate sleep, pain, and immune system function) are commonly prescribed in low doses, such as amitriptyline, cyclobenzaprine and Celexa. Ambien, clonazepam, and trazodone are just a few of the medications that may be used to aid sleep. Ultram may help with the pain, although stronger opioids may be needed for treating moderate to severe pain. Muscle relaxants and other drug categories may be prescribed as well. Each issue of Fibromyalgia Network contains information about new drug therapy options, as well as advice about how to make use of existing medications to minimize FMS symptoms.

In addition to medications, most patients will need to use other treatment methods as well, such as trigger point injections with lidocaine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, acupuncture, acupressure, relaxation/biofeedback techniques, osteopathic manipulation, chiropractic care, therapeutic massage, or a gentle exercise program.

Long term follow-up studies on FMS have shown that it is chronic, but the symptoms may wax and wane. The impact that FMS has on daily living activities, including the ability to work a full-time job, differs among patients. Overall, studies show that FMS may be equally as disabling as rheumatoid arthritis.

Again,alot of info,however,I know you are willing to check out everything.
I will get back to you on the PP and the treament of Synechia and "dialating"drops.

Eyes

Last edited by twoeyez; 01-10-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Flustered :

My last post may be a little long,but may be of intrest to you.

Eyes

Closed Thread