It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Need surgery to remove scar tissue

I need surgery to remove the scar tissue that has formed due to macular edema. The scar tissue is pulling on my retina and the doctor fears it will result in a detached retina. I am scared about this surgery. It will be done with a block while I am awake.
Has anyone else had this surgery and what can I expect? The doctor said it might improve my vision. Will I be housebound for a long time with a patch over the eye? I wonder whether the scar tissue can form again and I will have to repeat this procedure?
He also said that it will cause a cataract and I will then need surgery for that!

Old 01-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Need surgery to remove scar tissue

I can't answer your questions in the way you want/need, but I can totally relate to wanting to talk to someone who has gone through a surgical procedure like the one you're facing--especially on your eyes. I can speak to the cataract part of your question. Hopefully someone else can give you input on the retina surgery.

Have you asked your doctor all these questions?
It can help to have them typed out like you have done here, and then bring the list to his office.
Although, the last time I did that we didn't get through the list.
So if I was doing it again, I'd number the list, and start by saying that I have whatever-number of questions to ask. That way, if he gets up to leave, I (you) could say something like, "That answers question number 6. We have just questions 7 and 8 left for you to answer."

Having had cataract surgery this past year, my biggest regret has been not fully understanding the risks and benefits.
One question (for your retina surgery too) should be something like, "How urgent is it that I get it done right away." It sounds like he answered that question already, but maybe you could get some numbers on the likelihood of the retina tearing in, say, the next 6 months if you don't do it now.

And ask him if you could be asleep for the procedure.

I wish I had waited for my surgery, because cataract surgery is generally not urgent, and the cataract has to be pretty bad before the results will be better than the cataract. But ophthalmology is developing very quickly these days, and it seems every six months the newest replacement lens inplant is technologically far ahead of the earlier model. I'm a librarian, not a medical professional, but I still regularly check the latest info on IOL's (intraocular lenses). For instance, I just read this abstract from the journal, Ophthalmologica, about a newly developed lens that will be adjustable after it is in the eye:
Conclusion: Initial data suggest that the *Acri.Tec AR-1 PC/IOL can be safely implanted into the capsular bag of adult human eyes and can beadjusted after implantation, thereby achieving the desired change of refraction. Further exploration of the potential usefulness of this type of reversibly adjustable PC/IOL as a tool for refractive optimization is warranted.
There's also work on a lens that will give the patient the ability to have sharp vision in less than bright light--a drawback with current replacement lens technology.

So if/when you have to decide about having cataract surgery, I would recommend waiting as long as your doctor says is possible.

I actually got a second opinion before my second cataract surgery, and wished I had done so before my first. Even though the 2nd opinion was no different than my doctor's, it was a tremendous psychological relief for me.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I hope this helps.

Last edited by seriousperson; 01-08-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thanks Serious! I'm not looking forward to the cataract surgery, just worried about this first one. I'm learning that it might be that to remove the scar tissue the doctor will do a victreotomy and remove the vitreous gel from the eye too and replace it with fluid. I'm really getting nervous now. I think this is the way they remove the scar tissue. I think I have to discuss this further. I signed release papers for the surgery but my eyes were dialated! I need more info.
Wish someone here could help!
Thanks again Serious. I'm not too excited about this 1st surgery causing the cataracts. It seems I'm losing all the way around.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Isn't there anyone who has had scar tissue removed from their eye? This is scary to go through alone.

Last edited by Cher2005; 01-10-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Cher
Sorry you're having further problems, but always good to see you back on the boards.
I had a vitrectomy back in 1986, but they gave me general anethesia back then.
I had to have the vitrectomy because of all the retina surgeries and retinal tears causing a lot of debris in the vitreous, plus it was pulling on the retina. So it sounds sort of the same type of thing you are having.
If it is a vitrectomy, I'm sure it's a lot less involved than when I had it done, but about the same as far as recovery. That would most likely include lots of drops and patching the eye (especially at night) to protect it.
If you find out more about what the procedure is maybe I can offer more help, or someone else will jump on board to help. GIve the doctor's office a call. I'm sure they'll be willing to give you more info.
Hellas

Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thanks Hellas....I wish I didn't have to have yet another surgery but my eye will get worse if I don't. Darn
It's definitely a victrectomy (I know I spelled that wrong) which is removing the gel and scar tissue and replacing it with clear fluid. I guess it's the only way to remove the scar tissue. The retina will detach without it.
I wonder why a cataract is inevitable within a years time?

Anyone out there with diabetes take note. I would give anything to be able to go back and would listen to my doctors to the letter. I don't know why my eyes got hit so hard, but once it's done it's a nightmare you don't want to be in.

Last edited by Cher2005; 01-10-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Again Cher,
Any injury to the eye can result in a premature cataract, unfortunately. So surgery to the eye often results in one. After 4 retinal detachments & a vitrectomy, I developed a cataract in that eye in about a year. Guess it's just something we have to put up with sometimes. Sure stinks when you have no choice in these things.
Dont' be so hard on yourself, Cher. Sometimes eye changes are the first symptoms of diabetes to show up in adults. One of the guys I work with was having problems with his vision. When he went to his doctor they discovered his sugar was through the roof!
Is the surgery for the vitrectomy soon? I'm sure you will be fine, and the last thing you need is the retina detaching, so if it can prevent that, that's a good thing.
Take care, Cher. And let us know how you are doing, ok?
Hellas

Closed Thread