It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Lightbulb Light Sensitivity

Lately, my eyes have been so much more light sensitive and tired. (Obviosuly from my severe dryness.) I walked out of the school building today, and it was only slightly sunny and I had to immediately put my sunglasses on. This never used to bother me. I mean, even a month ago, this would not have bothered me. Some days now, I can't go out of the house without my fitovers sunglasses.

Now, when I put the sunglasses on it just looks like normal light to me. And you know, the thing is that when it is *really* bright, the sunglasses don't even make that much of a difference! I've seen darker sunglasses, so I wonder if I can get darker lenses for my fitovers, or just get yet another pair with much darker lenses for the really bright days. (this would be my third pair - one with untinted lenses, the ones with the moderately tinted lenses, and then if I get these, one with DARK lenses.) If this keeps up, I might have to go back and see Joe the Optician again and see what he has.

The thing is, this concerns me because even on overcast days I tend to need sunglasses lately. On days when nobody else would even think about sunglasses, I need them. My doc still says that my tear quality is extremely poor even with the tiny bit of improvement that I had two weeks ago when I saw him last. I can barely keep my eyes open in even the slightest bit of sunlight lately. I know this is because of my poor tear quality, but it's very scary and disheartening. I can't even look up at the ceiling when the light on my ceiling fan is on. (and I have low-light bulbs in it!) It seems that while my dryness has "stabilized" and not gotten any worse lately (it is on the very severe end of the spectrum as it is) the light sensitivity continues to get worse.

I'll be mentioning this to my doctor when I see him on saturday, but I want to know if anybody else is experiencing this extreme light sensitivity due to dryness.

The Following User Says Thank You to purple2067 For This Useful Post:
covy (04-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

azebo HB User
Re: Light Sensitivity

Hi Elyse,
I've noticed that my eyes can be a lot more light sensitive when they are really dry. The lights at work can really bother me sometimes. Does this affect your driving at night? My eyes seem most sensitive to bright lights... headlights, flouresant (sp?) lights, etc.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

The fluorescent headlights really bother me. I've learned to use the tilt on the rearview mirror to deflect the bright headlights, but it's the headlights from oncoming cars that bother me most.

What I'm talking about mostly is sunlight and bright fluorescent lights though. Today was the first day in weeks that I wasn't totally blinded by the sun. And that's only because there *was no sun*! It was a VERY cloudy day. Not a spot of blue in the sky. I am extremely light sensitive even in normal sunlight lately, and sometimes even indoors with the bright lights in the school lunchroom. They are not really that bright, but to me they are. Sometimes I can barely open my eyes. In my bedroom, I intentionally put only one bright bulb in the fixture on my ceiling fan, and that is only there because I need enough light to read my college textbooks. It's a 100 Watt bulb. The other ones are weak little 60 Watt bulbs. I've even got a flat panel screen on my computer to reduce the glare, but sometimes that gets bad too.

Ugh, today I actually had to get off of the expressway and pull over to get a long, annoying string of mucus out of my eye. Haven't had to do that in a while either. I hate when it happens when I'm driving. First the sun glare, and then that. My eyes can't handle it anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to purple2067 For This Useful Post:
covy (04-02-2012)
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

I have extreme light sensitivety too and now wear 2 pairs of sunglasses. One is prescription and then larger dark tinted sunglasses over them. Helps a lot and no way can I go out in the bright sun without the 2 pairs. Especially to drive. The sun glares off the cars around me and blinds me out. Even on cloudy days, unless it's raining, I wear the both pairs.
Oh and I always drive with the visor down too. If I am driving into the late afternoon sun, there are big problems. Try to avoid that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cher2005 For This Useful Post:
covy (04-02-2012)
Old 03-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Cher. The problem is that I can't avoid driving during the peak sunlight hours. I leave for work at 7:00am, and the only way to get there is right in the path of the brightest sunglare possible. Coming home is the same thing. I am usually on the road around 3:30 in the afternoon, with very bright sunlight beating down on me. The windows in my car are not that dark, and even with my transitions lenses in my glasses and the sunglasses over them, it's not enough. The problem is that the second I get outside I have to put on the sunglasses and that doesn't allow the transitions lenses to get darker from the sunlight.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

jumpjet HB User
Cool Re: Light Sensitivity

Hi, I too suffer with extreme light sensitivity, I even have to watch TV with the brightness low,I only have one dry eye but both my eyes struggle with even the dimmest light, my eyesight has also worsened, though I did have a brain tumour 11 years ago ,all clear now !!!!. thought I was alone with this problem obviously it's more common than I thought.One more thing I find polarised sunglasses are better than normal ones,,,hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Purple and Jump I hear you loud and clear. Now that I have a cataract the light is even worse. Driving in a thick sunny haze is no fun at all. I just have had to slow down even further and just be extremelly careful
Life with vision like this is so hard. But I shouldn't complain. How about the many people that can't even drive at all or can't post here because they don't see well enough?
But I do miss so much being able to drive wherever I want whenever I want. I can't drive at night anymore nor in bad weather,
I'm going to my optician and spring for a new pair of sunglasses, with a very dark tint fading to lighter at the bottom. Hopefully then I can wear just one pair.
Oh and you are both right about the flourescent lighting. Some places are just impossible, like the supermarket, drugs store and most doctor's offices. Absolutely hate flourescent lights!

Closed Thread