It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

ladylibrarian HB User
Eyes Sensitive To Light After Cataract Surgery

I had cataract surgery on my right eye in January of this year and the left in February receiving implants in both eyes. I see round light flashes off the outside of the right lens when I turn a certain way or light hits it a certain way and I have a large cloudy floater in my left eye that goes from side to side when I move my eye from right to left. My dr. said I have a vitreous detachment in that eye and that gravity will eventually cause the floater to break up into smaller pieces. Since I had the surgeries my eyes are super sensitive to light, especially when I go outside. I need to wear sunglasses and if I don't my eyes water a lot. Anyone else ever have these problems after cataract implants. This is driving me crazy and I hope it is going to improve with time. I'm almost sorry that I did this. I wish I had kept my glasses and waited until it was absolutely necessary that I have the cataracts removed. Thanks for any help.
Kay

Old 03-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Eyes Sensitive To Light After Cataract Surgery

The light sensitivity seems to dissapate with time (I'm 7 months post-surgery now).
And the brain learns to disregard a lot of the distracting light reflections from the new lens.
What kind (brand) of intraocular lenses did you get implanted?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

ladylibrarian HB User
Talking Re: Eyes Sensitive To Light After Cataract Surgery

I'm ashamed to say I don't know what type of lens was implanted. I am sure I have the information somewhere and that the dr. told me too, but I just don't remember. I had shock treatments 6 yrs ago just after my son committed suicide and my memory is not very good anymore. I am going to see my eye surgeon on Mar. 29 and I will be sure to have him refresh my mind. I have a real problem with my close up vision up to about 7-8 feet away. It's blurry and I wear glasses my dr. prescribed for me but I think they are just like reading glasses (magnified). I have been wearing them halfway down my nose. Then I can look over the top and see at a distance too. I am getting tired of that, however. I see good at a distance but my eyes don't feel like they are working together. I guess I need to give myself some time. I wore glasses since 3rd grade and I am in my early 60s so I guess being so used to wearing glasses for such a long time I will need allow myself a good amount of time to get used to my new eyes. Thanks for your input.
Kay

Old 03-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Eyes Sensitive To Light After Cataract Surgery

Sounds like you're going through a lot of the same adjustments I've been going through.
And it sounds like you got a basic single-focus lens for distance.
The good thing about those lenses is that you will have less glare and reflections in the long run.
The down side is that you will have to wear glasses for both reading and computer distance. Even with the multi-focal IOL, I just spent Another 2 hours trying to get glasses with which I can focus at those 2 distances, which are very important if you're a librarian like we both are.
It's been very frustrating.
But lately I've been thinking of my new lenses like those of a newborn kitten or puppy who can't yet interpret what he is seeing. Each day it's a little better.
There is a Big difference between being nearsighted (especially for 40 or 50 years) and then suddenly becoming farsighted. For all those years you never needed glasses for near things, and now that is gone. But you will adjust, and eventually realize how nice it is to walk to your car in the rain without getting your glasses wet.
Also, I've taken to hooking my reading glasses just above the top buttoned button of a shirt or sweater.
It's okay to grieve for the loss of your near vision, but don't "lose sight" of the future when you will feel comfortable with your new vision. It helps me to drive down to Lake Michigan and see white caps of distant waves that I have never before seen in my life.

Closed Thread