It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
(male)

woody1 HB User
Unhappy Detached retina recovery question

Can I get some feedback from anyone that has recovered from a detached retina where a gas bubble was injected during the reattachment operation? After 5 weeks I still have 1/3 of the gas bubble and sight is returning but it is very blurry and opague vision..(looking above the bubble).
My Dr. says I am healing fine but the eye is not seeing to suit me. I can almost read a two inch headline one foot from my eye. I had excellent vision in half my left eye when my retina detached just before the operation.
Will this clear up? Worried in Georgia!

Added: I have no diabeties or sugar problem. I spent a lot of time on my right side.The gas bubble is getting smaller. The doctor says I have a cataract but I had good vision before the operation.
Pred forte is a drop I use in that eye daily and one the possible the side effects is formation of cataracts.

Last edited by woody1; 05-23-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: Detached retina recovery question

Hi woody1
Well, it's been 20 years since I had my detached retina, with vitrectomy having the gas bubble in the eye, but it does take time for the bubble to be replaced by your own body fuids. It's slow going, plus the surgery itself will take some time for the eye to heal completely. I know it's frustrating waiting....and wondering, but just take it one day at a time, do everything you are supposed to do and the healing will progress.
By the way, I had my right retina detach 4 times in less than 4 months. It's been doing fine ever since. It's just one of those things where you have to be patient, as it's pretty major trauma to the eye having the surgery done. At 5 weeks, you've got a ways to go before the eye has totally recovered from the surgery.
Good Luck!
Hellas

Last edited by Administrator; 10-04-2006 at 06:54 PM. Reason: changed username of member

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Any Kind of Healing Takes Me 2 Mo. or More

My Sympathy. Hang in there. Are you diabetic by any chance? It makes healing slower. I take 2 or 3 mo., and what you had done was probably more serious than anything I've had.

I think maybe they're starting to use a saline solution instead of the gas or oil now, aren't they? I forget already which one you said you have.

With gas, I read via web searches, they used to have you stay face-down for 2 wks, 23 out of 24 hrs a day, sometimes using a device like a padded toilet seat that you could rent. Horrors! With oil you don't have to do the posturing, according to all that I could find. I didn't look up the saline solution, think I just heard about that somewhere.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

I had the saline solution and the doc says that the vitrous is starting to come back nicely. Your body returns the saline solution to the original vitreous. That is good.
my operation was in March and I am also diabetic. It has taken this long to heal for me. My eye actually feels much better now. Before I could feel a pulling sensation and my eyelid was pulled up on that eye giving a lopsided look/
Happy to say that the eye feels much better. Vision isn't a lot different but Doc says that cysts have formed on the retina. We are hoping that they heal. But at least the eye feels better and is healthier.
Now of course I am having problems with my other eye which was always good. Cataract has formed and vision is not so hot. I hate the idea of having surgery on my good rye and so does my doctor.
It never ends

Old 05-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

I know just how you feel about hating to have anything done to the good eye. Mine's scheduled for 2 weeks after the first one, but we discussed that if I don't get good results on the first eye, I can change that date.

You've had your diabetes more than 20 yrs? Me too. Thanks for the reply and later on if I should have to have a vitrectomy to remove scar tissue and debris, if they do it for that, as I think I remember reading in my web searches, I may need to ask you things. Best wishes.

Closed Thread