It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Question Eye Muscle Surgery for Double Vision

Has anyone had eye muscle surgery for double vision and, if so, did it work?

I would aprpeciate hearing from anyone that has had this done. What was the procedure like? Did it work?

My problem is binocular double vision (I do not have the DV when only one eye is open). The DV happens when both eyes are open and it is a lot worse at the end of the day. I have been to a Neurologist and had just about every test and he is trying to determine if it is a neurological problem or just eye musle problems.

I appreciate hearing from anyone that is familiar with this condition.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sara5678; 06-29-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: Eye Muscle Surgery for Double Vision

Is surgery the only treatment option?
No, treatment options and outcomes vary considerably based on the type of eye turn and other factors, such the presence of double vision. Non-surgical treatment is available :

Orthoptics is a medical term for the eye muscle training programs provided by orthoptists and optometrists. Vision therapy programs include orthoptics, but, technically there are broad distinctions between vision therapy and orthoptics. Orthoptics, which literally means "straightening of the eyes," dates back to the 1850s and is limited in scope to eye-muscle training and the cosmetic straightening of eyes. Orthoptics treat muscle problems only in regard to strength and do not focus on neurological and visual-motor issues in the comprehensive way in which vision therapy does. Treatment is home based.

Vision Therapy is an individualized, supervised, non-surgical treatment program designed to correct eye movements and visual-motor deficiencies. Vision Therapy sessions include procedures designed to enhance the brain's ability to control:

eye alignment,
eye teaming,
eye focusing abilities,
eye movements, and/or
visual processing.

Vision Therapy for strabismus generally consists of either weekly or bi-weekly office based therapy. Some doctors reinforce in-office therapy with home therapy. This is based upon a case-by-case determination. Milder intermittent cases may be handled with home therapy.

Eyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
(female)

nccarol HB User

I assume they have done an MRI and ruled out any brain tumor. That is what my boyfriend had and it caused the same vision problems. Did they tell you what is causing the vision problems? May not be the same but just wondering. We thought it was a vision problem only and it wasn't. He still ahs the vision problems worse now since they just removed the tumor so we may be looking at some therepy for him also. Good Luck. Carol

Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

Sara, I had the surgery in March and although at first it is very painful, it was well worth it to me. My double vision has decreased although I don't think it can ever be completely corrected, but it is a lot better. So, don't be super scared, it is a very common procedure at this day in age. Good Luck!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to FlorenceC:
sanjose (01-31-2011)
Old 06-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
(female)

Sara5678 HB User

Florence,
What caused the double vision? Did they do a lot of tests to rule out autoimmune diseases? Did you ever have a crossed eye?
I am happy for you that it helped a lot. I would even settle for that.
Also, did they perform the surgery on both eyes? Did you go home the same day and how long before you assumed your normal duties?
Thanks,
Sara

Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

Sara5678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYESTWO22
Is surgery the only treatment option?
No, treatment options and outcomes vary considerably based on the type of eye turn and other factors, such the presence of double vision. Non-surgical treatment is available :

Orthoptics is a medical term for the eye muscle training programs provided by orthoptists and optometrists. Vision therapy programs include orthoptics, but, technically there are broad distinctions between vision therapy and orthoptics. Orthoptics, which literally means "straightening of the eyes," dates back to the 1850s and is limited in scope to eye-muscle training and the cosmetic straightening of eyes. Orthoptics treat muscle problems only in regard to strength and do not focus on neurological and visual-motor issues in the comprehensive way in which vision therapy does. Treatment is home based.

Vision Therapy is an individualized, supervised, non-surgical treatment program designed to correct eye movements and visual-motor deficiencies. Vision Therapy sessions include procedures designed to enhance the brain's ability to control:

eye alignment,
eye teaming,
eye focusing abilities,
eye movements, and/or
visual processing.

Vision Therapy for strabismus generally consists of either weekly or bi-weekly office based therapy. Some doctors reinforce in-office therapy with home therapy. This is based upon a case-by-case determination. Milder intermittent cases may be handled with home therapy.

Eyes
Eyes,
Thanks for the reply. I have called a Vision Therapy company and will try them if what I am pesently doing does not work. Thanks SO much. This is very frustrating.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
(female)

Sara5678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccarol
I assume they have done an MRI and ruled out any brain tumor. That is what my boyfriend had and it caused the same vision problems. Did they tell you what is causing the vision problems? May not be the same but just wondering. We thought it was a vision problem only and it wasn't. He still ahs the vision problems worse now since they just removed the tumor so we may be looking at some therepy for him also. Good Luck. Carol
Carol,
Thanks for the input. Therapy will be my next route if these medications do not work. Yes, I had the MRI and lots of other tests to rule out things.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

Strabismus causes my double vision. I had the surgery, but due to the fact that i have not had binocular vision my whole life, now I can't just have the surgery and get it perfect, but it is a lot better . . . sorry I took so long to respond. Like I said, it is painful and recovery is long, but it's worth it if you ask me. You just need a good surgeon.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

Strabismus causes my double vision. I had the surgery, but due to the fact that i have not had binocular vision my whole life, now I can't just have the surgery and get it perfect, but it is a lot better . . . sorry I took so long to respond. Like I said, it is painful and recovery is long, but it's worth it if you ask me. You just need a good surgeon.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

Oops, my last post came up twice . . . I reread your questions and realized I skipped a few of them. They did the surgery ONLY in my left eye, I got there at 10:15 and left by 6:00. The surgery was on a Friday, (i think a lot of surgeons do it that way) and I was back at work by Wednesday. It was very painful. Make sure you tell your doctor that you want something more than Tylenol 3 and have your prescription filled before the surgery. I couldn't even open my eyes for the first day and a half, because it hurt, but then again, all I had was crappy Tylenol 3 . . . I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to be prepared because I was mislead, and had NO IDEA of what was ahead of me . . . some people recover faster than others, but my eye was bloody red for about 5 weeks, not all of the white but a lot. There is a chance that I will have to repeat the surgery, and I would do it again . . . the ending result is worth it . . . a little physical pain is worth ending the mental pain . . . If you have any more questions, I will check this thread more often to answer your questions . . . Good Luck if you have the surgery.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Eye Muscle Surgery for Double Vision

Florence,
Thank you SO much for answering my post. I am glad it worked well for you. The DV is so frustrating.

How long after the surgery was it before you could be active and do things like riding a bike or dancing? What is your vision like now? Do you have the "ghosting" or "halos?" Did you have any type palsy in the eye? Do you know how many of the eye muscles were not working right in the eye that had the surgery?
Sara

Old 07-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #12
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

I was back at work in 4 days. Everything is pretty much normal now. They tell you to take it easy for 2 weeks, like no heavy lifting, just to be on the safe side, I guess so you don't strain and pull a stitch or something . . . there was pain in the eye, but I could pretty much do everything else normal. Just the first few days were trying, but other than that . . . it was Ok. Don't be so scared, these are trained professionals, and they've done a number of surgeries. They will give you instructions and they aren't that demanding. Trust that it will be okay. As far as the halos and that other stuff . . . i'm not even sure what that is, so on that note, I can't help you. But any other questions about surgery, I would be glad to answer. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

I had eye muscle surgery last August after suffering through four horrible months of double vision at distance (worse as the day progressed and my eye muscles tired). My condition was related to monovision contact lens wear. Before the surgery most of my double vision could be eliminated with prism glasses that were so heavy they continuously slid down my nose. My treatment options were 6+ months of vision therapy at $110 a week (not covered by insurance) or surgery covered by Blue Cross. I was told that there was a 75% chance of substantial improvement with surgery, and a 25% chance that it wouldn't work. The surgery was completely painless; I didn't even need an aspirin afterward. That afternoon I went shopping at the mall (wearing sunglasses). I drove myself to my preop visit the next day. It was apparent that my surgery was successful at that time, and my eyes have stayed aligned for going on a year. If surgery is an option for you, I'd advise you to go for it (with the best strabismus surgeon in your area).

Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

After reading other posts, I guess my surgery was unusually easy. It involved the recession of one muscle (medial rectus) of one eye. My double vision was completely eliminated when I left the surgicenter, and I never had visual aberrations like halos around lights. My copay to the surgeon was under $200; I wrote "Winner--Best Buy of 2005 Award" on the surgeon's statement when I mailed in my check.

Double vision can really drive you crazy! My concentration had gotten so bad before surgery that I was totally unable to understand the book-on-tape version of a popular novel; it was as if it had been recorded in Urdu. The day after surgery the same tapes were completely comprehensible.

I'd recommend surgery over vision therapy as Plan A, but would try vision therapy if you need to go to Plan B.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Jodie:

Truly you have to be very pleased with you muscle,surgery. Mainly because you are not seing double any more. I'm sure your doctor has asked for you to return for some additional tests.

I need to ask if you have gained full binocular use of both eyes to acheive 100% (third degree) steriopsis (depth precption).

For the two eyes to be properly aligned, they need to have similar vision and focusing ability, and the muscles that move them need to work together. Only then can a person have binocular vision and depth perception, meaning that the images from each eye are fused (blended) by the brain into a single image that appears three-dimensional. If one eye does not look in the same direction as the other, binocular vision cannot exist.

Eyes

Closed Thread