It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User
Eye drops not working for glaucoma--scared

Hi,

Over the past 10-12 years I've been treated with various eye drops for my eye pressure--work for a while the quit working. Have had laser surgery twice, the last one just a year ago. My pressure was 18 in both eyes in January & is now 26 in both eyes. Will be seeing my opthamologsit Friday morning & I'm very scared. I'm only 55 ( only?) & am so worried about going blind.
I searched the internet to see what pther eye drops I could try, but most are wither beta blockers or sulfa--I can't take either due to Lupus. I presently take Xalatan, but seems it is not working anymore. Have tried Alphagan along with the Xalatan in the past but developed an allergy to it.

Will the next step be more extensive surgery? Trabeculectomy? Has anyone here had that ? If so, would you share what it was like & if it worked ?
Any other treatments available that any one knows of ?

Thanks in advance for any advice--I've got myself so worked up over this.

anxiousinnj
Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Eye drops not working for glaucoma--scared

This is an ignorant question, but what would happen to the lupus if you took the drops you've excluded? In other words, which would be worse--a flare-up of the lupus, or a loss of eyesight? As I said, it's an ignorant question because I don't know anything about lupus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

KeelaC,

We are told to avoid sulfa drugs as they can flare lupus--one never knows exactly what a flare will be.....Lupus can effect any system in your body. My Lupus has been stable, thank goodness, & guess I'm just afraid. Ditto with the beta blockers. I was on a beta blocker eye drop years ago & it made me feel terrible. That was before I knew I had Lupus, so maybe it was the Lupus or maybe just an intolerance to beta blockers--don't know.

Thanks for asking though--made me realize that I guyess I should call my rheumatologist before I go to the eye doc & get his take on all of this first.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
(male)

kee4u HB User

Hi Kate,

I have had glaucoma all my life and I'm 46 years old. My opthamologist started me on eye drops about 6 years ago. I started taking one drop twice a day then that didn't work so then she added another eye drops and that work for awhile now i'm on two types of eye drop two times a day.

Have you tried Ocupress and Xalatan? I've been on them two drugs now for about 2 1/2 years now. them two drugs together seems to be working for me.
I have very poor vision in my left eye and we are trying to save it in case I loose my right eye. My pressures have been 18 in my left eye and 16 in my right. Before I was taking meds for the eye it was up too around 25 in my left and 18 or so in my right. By the way I don't have any reactions from them two drugs well maybe a very slight ichy eye for a couple of minutes if that.

Anyway I wish you well and I hope you don't worry too much.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Cool Re: Eye drops not working for glaucoma--scared

I have recently been diagonosed with glaucoma and have been using Xalaton for the pressure which seems to be working fine. My question to you is...have you noticed a color change in your eyes from using the Xalaton. They say your eye color can darken. I would sure hate to go from a blue eyed babe to a brown eyed girl! Of course that would certainly be better than going blind.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I realize this post was done last month. And I hope you've gotten some answers by now.

That being said my doctor always told me surgery was the last last option...I've had to switch my drops a few times. Once cause they weren't working, again because I started developing a bad reaction. I felt like I was putting acid on my eyes. So I took myself OFF of those and refused to take them. (No better way to tick a doctor off, than to do that lemme tell ya!)..

I'm on Lumigan now (I don't know if those fall in one of your no-no catagories) and it seems to work fine.....I'm a tad nervous though cause I haven't been in to the eye doctor in six months (I have to go every 3 for a check) And I go friday...so I know I'll catch hell for it.

If it makes you feel any better though....I was 12 when I was diagnosed

Old 08-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
(female)

notsobrighteyes HB User

Hello,

I am so very sorry to hear about your eye problems. I know what it is
like to be so frightened and anxious over the thought of losing one's sight.
I have no advice for you problem, but I will certainly pray for you each day.
I am 55 also, and have just been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes.
Because of the previous eye surgeries I have had on my eyes, the surgeon
told me that it would only be a guess as to which lens would be best for
me. Needless to say, I have been quite upset. I also want to say that
I have been struggling with my eyesight for the last ten years. The surgeries
I have had were to improve my vison. I now need to put a drop in my
eye to make my pupils small so I do not see so much glare and ghosting.
My right eye has multiple vision and I am only able to read with it. I could
go on but the space is limited. Please know that I will be praying for you...

Closed Thread