It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
What's wrong with my eyes?

I'm sure some of you have gotten that feeling of lightheadedness when you've stood up too fast. I get the same thing from time to time, but some weird things also happen with my vision. On occasion when I stand up too fast, my vision will cloud over. I'll go from seeing everything normally to dark and cloudy in a matter of a couple seconds. This loss of vision lasts about three to five seconds, and I lose my balance during this time as well. Once I collect myself, I'm perfectly fine.

There have been other episodes where I would see some pretty weird things. On more than one occasion I have seen what looks like glittering "snow". It seriously looks like bits of glitter falling in my field of vision. I could see this glitter no matter where I looked and no matter how many times I rubbed my eyes. I've seen it in both silver and blue. I've experienced this three times within less than a year and all three episodes lasted at least a few hours (one lasted a period of a few days).

Another strange episode I had was when, for two days, I saw, literally, rotating rainbow-colored triangles. The triangles were all in a circle with the tips pointing outward (looking sort of like a wreath), and the circle shape is what rotated. These shapes were not so vibrant that it completely obstructed my vision, but they were still vibrant enough to notice.

Has anyone ever experienced such things before? I have been told that seeing these eccentric shapes and colors could be the result of low blood pressure or low blood sugar, of which I have neither. Also, for the record, I was not on any sort of medication, and I was not using any kind of hallucinogenic drugs during these episodes. Is this something that could be from my nearsightedness? I thought maybe my eyes had changed, either for better or for worse, since I got my glasses, and perhaps my glasses were playing tricks on me...but I still saw all this weirdness without my glasses.

Last edited by Dark Stranger; 07-12-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: What's wrong with my eyes?

The problems that can occur from standing up quickly are caused by orthostatic hypotension. It's momentary and happens to everybody at some time. To save me an explanation of how it works, just look it up.

The "glitter", more commonly called visual snow is very common. Don't think anybody's come up with a proper diagnosis. Near-sighted people are more likely to experience it; however, it often doesn't go away. The fact that yours lasted a few hours would suggest a definite cause.

And lastly, the circle with the triangles--a classic migraine aura. You can have a migraine aura without a headache. Normally, an aura lasts for about twenty minutes, not two days, but there are variations. A few people have chronic aura. The glitter you mentioned might have something to do with the migraine as well.

So there you go...lots to research.

Closed Thread