It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
eye mask at night for dry eyes?

just a thought I had. while someone mentioned that it could be that your eyes could be not shut completely when sleeping and that could contribute to dry eyes at night or when waking. I wake up with terrible dry eyes, and pain, blurriness and sometimes I dread opening my eyes ! it's scary and it makes me worry if damage is being done while I'm sleeping.
Anyway, last night I ended up with a slightly damp wash cloth on my eyes for most the night, since I sleep on my back mostly it stayed there, and I think it helped me! My eyes would have been covered up better right?

I tried the wet cloth first, and that made my eyes worse, so I tried just barely damp enough to keep it folded and maybe that was helpful. I'm trying anything at this point.
Has anyone tried this or does anyone have dry eyes when they wake up??

I'm praying that I'm on to something here...

Old 07-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: eye mask at night for dry eyes?

Wearing an eye mask at night is a good idea. I have a mask from American Airlines and decided to give it a try, it works great. I use Refresh Celluvisc drops then Refresh PM, wipe excess off and put the mask on. Eyes are much better, don't dry out like before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

bstardustk HB User
Post Re: eye mask at night for dry eyes?

i have learned over the yrs with this problem that many of us sleep with partial eye opened. so having dry eye through the night will happen. using a night mask is helpful along with the refresh pm, which i do. just a precaution, i started getting eye infections, i guess with the mask so close to my eyes it was catching the goopy things that would be there in the morning., so be careful to clean the mask. now i use an actual lab/doctor type plastic mask, like a scuba mask, as i need to have my ceiling fan on above me, since i can't have the air conditioning on...this way i can protect my eyes from everything at night and still sleep with the horrible florida heat. i am sure i look horrible....but my sleep and eyes are more important!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

some good points especially about the infections. I have been using a clean wash cloth which is easy to replace and wash. I have problems with the oil based drops or ointment, they ALWAYS cause me more eye discomfort and blurriness that goes on and on. So I stick with Refresh Plus in the vials, which works best for me.
Although I'm in CA, not Florida, it's been plenty hot here and I also sleep with a fan blowing so that's probably contributing to the dryness issue.
I don't think my husband would even blink an eye if I had a "scuba mask" on in bed. He's seen it all after 18 years:

Old 07-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
(male)

np1981 HB User

There is a very good mask I use specifically for dry eyes called Tranquileyes. I sleep with eyes partially open and the mask helps. It has damp foam inserts. If I sleep without it I wake up with terrible dryness.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by np1981
There is a very good mask I use specifically for dry eyes called Tranquileyes. I sleep with eyes partially open and the mask helps. It has damp foam inserts. If I sleep without it I wake up with terrible dryness.
hey thanks for that info!
I am going to look into that definately!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
(male)

BuddTX HB User

I just wrote a detailed post on eyewear to sleep in.

Search my posts to read it.

Closed Thread