It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 02:55 AM   #1
(male)

pal01 HB User
corneal erosion +

I was having a very bad problem with my eyes for a while as I would wake up in the middle of the night and one or both of my eyes would be burning in pain and I was completely blind out of them. I was scared to find out what it was, but I went to the eye doctor and she said it was corneal erosion and told me how to treat it with preservative-free eye-drops and a nightly ointment. They have helped quite a bit, but I still have problems every now and again, but I guess it is just something I have to learn to get used to. My main concern is that she told me to increase my water intake which was no real problem as I drink alot of water anyways, but for some odd reason these past few months, no matter how much water I drink I always feel dehydrated. I drink, on the average, about 2 gallons of water a day at least, but I still feel parched and have started to wake up in the middle of the night choking from my throat being so dry. I drink water throughout the night every time I wake up and all throughout the day. It seems ridiculous to me that I should have to drink even more now. I am beginning to think something else is going on with me and that perhaps the corneal erosion problem is just a symptom of something greater. I don't want to jump to wild conclusions, but I was just wondering if anyone had any similar happenings associated with this condition? Thank you for your time and any helpful advice you may offer Oh, and I will be seeing a doctor shortly, I just was kind of curious ahead of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: corneal erosion +

wow this could have been written by me
I also suffer from that nighttime eye pain, and extreme blurriness, not blindness though. I'd wake up and my eye or eyes (usually one eye would be worse) would feel like it hurt to open it and then burn like acid was in it.
I also have a parched and dry mouth like something suctioned all the fluid out of my head. I would splash water in my eyes and rinse my mouth out and that would last me ok the rest of the night.
I don't drink near the amount of water that you do but am trying to do better. It certainly doesn't sound like you could be dehydrated

My eye doctor said I have dry eyes and gave me different drops to try.
Believe me I've tried them all and favor Refresh Plus in the vials, the ointments burn my eyes but I try to use them anyway at night.
One thing that has helped me IMMENSELY and I want to share is this:
At night I sleep with a damp wash cloth on my eyes (I sleep on my back obviously) and I'm not having the dry burning blurry eyes when I wake up. I know a lot of people use fancy eye masks and that would probably work better but I'm just happy to have found something that works and hope this might help you. Good luck, and please post again if you doctor finds something else contributing to it, but hopefully it's something that you can work with.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
(male)

BuddTX HB User

On this board, in this forum, there are probably over a thousand posts on RCE, or Reoccuring Corneal Erosion.

Do a search and you will have LOTS to read.

It took me several days to read all of the posts (or at least the major threads).

I too suffer from RCE.

This forum was a great source of comfort to me, to at least, find out that others also suffer from RCE.

I went through 6 Dr's (3 MD's and PHds) before I found a Dr that was a Corneal Specialiast , and he did 3 Strommel Puncters on my eyes, and thanks to this forum, I was able to suggest to my Dr, an Oral/topical treatment.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

As I have researched my chronic dry eye, I have come across information about Sjogren's syndrome. If you haven't already, you may want to do some research into this. Your symptoms seem to fit with some of what I have read up on. The syndrome has multiple symptoms, but from what I understand every person who has this has different combinations of them. Anyway, Sjogren's Syndrome has it's own discussion board. It may be a good place to start.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

anninalbany HB User

I'm lucky I can drink 2-3 glasses of water a day. 2 Gallons is a lot of water. Excessive thirst can be a sign of Diabetes. Have you had your Blood Sugar tested lately?

Just a suggestion.

Ann

Closed Thread