It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Question YAG Laser Capsulotomy

Several year's ago I had cataract surgery. My one eye does not see that clearly in dimly lit areas and the colors are not as bright as they should be. I am scheduled for YAG laser surgery next month. The doctor hopes that by opening up some of the area by the lens implant, this would let some light in, and my vision will be better.

Has anyone had this procedure and, if so, did it help you to see better in the dark or make colors look brighter?

Thanks to anyone that can literally "shed some light" on this procedure.

Last edited by Sara5678; 08-31-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: YAG Laser Capsulotomy

You need to know what YAG Laser Capsulotomy will do for you. Approximately 40% of patients will develop haze of a membrane behind the intraocular lens (IOL) implant following cataract surgery, which results in diminished vision. The vision may be blurred, hazy, or is associated with significant glare and loss of visual acuity. This condition, known as posterior capsule opacity, is sometimes referred to as “secondary cataract.” Cataracts, however, never recur following cataract surgery. Posterior capsule opacity may be thought of as a scarring process in the capsule or membrane, which contained the natural lens (cataract) of the eye. The condition of posterior capsule opacity is not preventable, but fortunately, is treatable and nearly always restores or improves vision.

Following cataract surgery, the capsule may produce cloudy cells that typically cause blurred, hazy vision. Some patients may also experience glare problems when driving at night. This common condition, known as posterior capsular haze, occurs in as many as 40% of patients who undergo cataract surgery. Posterior capsular haze may occur months or years postoperatively.

Posterior capsular haze can be simply treated using a YAG laser. Dilating drops are instilled and the laser is used to create an opening in the center of the cloudy capsule. Most patients notice an instant improvement in their vision, while others experience a gradual improvement over several days. YAG capsulotomy is an out-patient procedure and takes just minutes to perform.

Eyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Cool Re: YAG Laser Capsulotomy

Eyes - Thanks SO much for "shedding some light" on this procedure.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
(male)

eyesforJesus HB User

I had the yag lazer treatment ( left eye only)a few months ago and my vision is so much more clearer. My left eye was 30/20 to 20/20.
My vision was cloudy.It acted like a cataract.I was reading without my glasses.Now I need my glasses to read but everything is brighter and clearer.
Hope I helped
Vince

Old 09-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Vince, What do you mean about having to wear reading glasses after the YAG but not before? Or did you mean after the cataract surgery but not before?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

November 2, 2006, 5:38 am, not 10:38 am

Vince, are you there? I need to know that too, please. Are you still okay? You last posted in September, looks like.

Everyone, are you saying the Yag was done right in the office? Approximately how much did it cost? There weren't even any consent forms?

Having just searched "capsulotomy", I found the holes can be tiny ones in a circle, or one in the center. And that if you don't have a healthy retina there can be serious complications. If you have too much diabetic damage to allow multi-focus IOL's, for instance?

At my checkup yesterday, (5 mo. after the second cataract surgery) he said I'd need to go to the surgery center, just like for cataract surgery, and I bet that would cost thousands again. Is it covered by Blue Cross? I knew I'd read about it being done right in the office.

I asked where the bit of membrane was located and he said in the center of where the old lens was. And that it had been left on purpose, but I didn't hear why. I think he may have mumbled there. Anyone know? It may not be in the capsule?

Last edited by Eagle; 11-02-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

My doctor does the YAGs in the office in several minutes.
I think most do.
But your doctor must not have the equipment.
If your insurance isn't very good, perhaps your doctor can refer you to another who can do it in his/her office.
If your last surgery was 5 months ago, at least you should have your deductible covered.
But I would not have the YAG done in this calendar year just to take advantage of a met deductible.

I am hesitant to do the YAG because my post-cataract surgery was not really an improvement, just a different set of visual handicaps. I don't want to go through another procedure such as the YAG, only to feel equally disappointed. Also, there is an association statistically between YAG and retina problems. I'm sure you do have to sign a waiver form.

Also, the capsule that is perforated in the YAG is the little sack that holds the implanted lens. Once the sack is perforated, a lens exchange procedure becomes much harder. My doctor very rarely exchanges lenses and doesn't foresee this changing. But the quality of my vision is so poor (especially at night) because of the nature of the lenses, and so many have these kind of lenses, that I foresee a time in the next 10-20 years when these kinds of lenses will be exchanged for those with a better design. Of course, with YAGs being done on a routine basis, lens exchange may not be commonplace, even in the future. But I would like to keep that option open.

But things are getting filmy looking, so eventually I'll do it. But I will wait until the filmy-ness is so bad that the YAG is sure to be a great improvement.

Last edited by seriousperson; 11-02-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYESTWO22
You need to know what YAG Laser Capsulotomy will do for you. Approximately 40% of patients will develop haze of a membrane behind the intraocular lens (IOL) implant following cataract surgery, which results in diminished vision. The vision may be blurred, hazy, or is associated with significant glare and loss of visual acuity. This condition, known as posterior capsule opacity, is sometimes referred to as “secondary cataract.” Cataracts, however, never recur following cataract surgery. Posterior capsule opacity may be thought of as a scarring process in the capsule or membrane, which contained the natural lens (cataract) of the eye. The condition of posterior capsule opacity is not preventable, but fortunately, is treatable and nearly always restores or improves vision.

Following cataract surgery, the capsule may produce cloudy cells that typically cause blurred, hazy vision. Some patients may also experience glare problems when driving at night. This common condition, known as posterior capsular haze, occurs in as many as 40% of patients who undergo cataract surgery. Posterior capsular haze may occur months or years postoperatively.

Posterior capsular haze can be simply treated using a YAG laser. Dilating drops are instilled and the laser is used to create an opening in the center of the cloudy capsule. Most patients notice an instant improvement in their vision, while others experience a gradual improvement over several days. YAG capsulotomy is an out-patient procedure and takes just minutes to perform.

Eyes
Eagle :

This was posted at the beginning of this Thread. I feel it may be worth repeating for your understanding of postier capsule opacity.

Eyes

Closed Thread