It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

MrsShahidKapur HB User
Question Want cataract surgery in Nov/Dec, what to expect

Hi, I'm new to these boards. Hope you can help with an issue we're having. My father has cataracts (worse in his left eye), and he is having a hard time seeing clearly, particularly when driving. He want to have cataract surgery in around November/December timeframe, of this year.

We've want to know what my father can expect when undergoing cataract surgery. Will they perform both eyes at the same time? How long will it take to recover? Are there any common side-effects. What precautions should he take? And most importantly, what administrative issues (i.e. paperwork, insurance) will he face before and after the surgery (especialy AFTER!), i.e. what papers does he need to fill out, and sign.

We're rather anxious about the surgery, and we'll appreciate your experiences and feedback regarding cataract surgery. If you can go back and do the cataract surgery all over again, what would you change? Gosh, I'm sure I have more questions, but I can't remember them all right now. Please guide.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Want cataract surgery in Nov/Dec, what to expect

Many of these questions should be answered by either your ophthalmologist (if it's a small practice) or the surgical coordinator (if it's a large practice).

I need to run now, but will check back this weekend to see if you have more questions that my experiences might answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

MrsShahidKapur HB User

Hey, thanks seriousperson. Also, I'm going through the various messages posted on this boards. However, I do have another question: My father strongly prefers a cataract surgeon in the New York metro area. Are there people on these boards who can advise on a surgeon, or hospital within that geographic area. Seems there are so many to choose from! [removed] Thanks once again!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-07-2006 at 07:34 AM. Reason: do not ask members to recommend outside websites

Old 09-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

MrsShahidKapur HB User

How thoughtless of me, I guess I got caught up in the moment. I certainly didn't mean to violate the house rules, please excuse me.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

First off, relax.
Your father will be fine.
Today's cataract surgery is a walk in the park compared to the horror our grandparents went through 20 years ago. I remember when my grandmother had it done.. it was a MAJOR surgery at the time, requireing quite a hospital stay.
It is now done just about everywhere as outpatient surgery.

First off your eyeglasses provider can recommend someone in the area to do this surgery. The eyes must be checked by an ophthalmologist anyway to be sure the cataracts are "ready" and then surgery can be scheduled.

I have not had this surgery but I know many people who have.
I personally would be nervous, but any surgery makes me nervous.

One eye is done at a time.

There are options where you can be put to sleep for it and a diff option where you can stay "sort of" awake. this should be discussed with the surgen.

My elderly mother had it done.
Her eye glasses provider set it all up with the surgen.
I took her for the exam and it took very little time.
You have to have an exam and provide insurance info.
No big deal about setting it up.
I drove her to do it.
No problem.
They did give her drops to use afterward for a little while.
She had to wear sunglasses outside for a while.
One month later they did the other one.
Once again it was easy.

I was so happily surprised that this has evolved into such a better surgical scene than it was when my grandmother did it.
Mother's cataracts were due to old age.

My brother had a Tramatic catarac for over an old eye injury.
He had someone take him there, they did the cataract removal in the morning.
In the afternoon when I called him he was all excited cuz he could see things so much better than before the surgery!
He was not allowed to bend over and he was told not to drive for one week.

My neighbor had it done.
A diff surgen.
Her surgen puts a eye protector over the eye for 24 hours after surgery..but it was still out patient and she had to go the next day and get the protector removed. But the day of morning surgery she was walking past my apt in the aternoon and we talked and she seemed fine. After the eye protector was removed she discovered she no longer has to wear glasses!

Last edited by snowmelts; 09-07-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MrsShahidKapur, How old is your father and what is his eyesight like now?
Has he worn glasses most of his life or only after age 40? Nearsighted or farsighted? Do you know what his current prescription is?
These kinds of things can make a difference regarding how satisfied he will be with the outcome.
Finding a doctor can be difficult. I hope you find one in whom your father can be confident.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
(female)

MrsShahidKapur HB User
Question Re: Want cataract surgery in Nov/Dec, what to expect

Hello, my father is early 60's, started wearing glasses when he was 50. He's farsighted, i.e. needs glasses only for reading. I need to find out his current prescription. He developed cataracts in the last few years.

I have another question. I was researching on the web, and I found a news artical (not sure if I can post it here), that says cataract surgery can be used to eliminate the needs for glasses all together because instead of replacing the cloudy lens with a single-focus lens, the surgeon will replace it with a multi-focus lens. Unlike single focus lens, multi-focus lens can focus images both near and far, just like a natural lens.

I discussed this with my father, and he says would like to have cataract surgery that eliminates his need to wear eye glasses. My question is, has anyone on this board had cataract surgery to eliminate the need for eye glasses afterwards? Do you have any thoughts on this type of cataract surgery.

Thanks once again

Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MrsShahidKapur,
First, because your father is farsighted, his vision after the surgery will be similar to before, but better. That is, he should have a good experience.

I have 2 different types of lenses in my eyes. The one in the left eye is the Crystalens. It moves back and forth in an attempt to mimic multi-focusing.
The one in the right eye is a multi-focal lens, the Restor.
Newer multi-focus lenses include the Tecnis and others.

The important thing to weigh when deciding what type of lens to implant is, how does he use his eyes most of the time? Does he use the computer a lot? I'm guessing not, or else he would be posting here on his own. The Restor would give him back some of the reading vision with excellent distant vision. But he would need glasses for the computer.
That is just an example. Different lenses are better for different things.

It is important to know what his distance and near prescriptions are now. If they aren't very bad, he might want to wait longer before having the surgery.

Last edited by seriousperson; 09-11-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsShahidKapur
he is having a hard time seeing clearly, particularly when driving.
Given there is problem seeing to drive I certainly agree with your father about fixing it!
Of course the eye Dr has to agree that the lense are ready to be removed.
LAST June my Eye Dr told me I was developeing cataracts and to come in to check it again this year.
But I haven't since I am not aware of any changes in my eyesight.
I'm also scared speechless at the word surgery of any kind.
BUT If I my eyesight was getting so bad I'd notice it while driving, then I would certainly go have it checked.

They check for cataracts during my eye exams. I only go every 2 years cuz my insurance only pays for it every 2 years. I'm nearly 60 and have worn glass for near sightedness since I was maybe about 9 . Gotta have them on or I can't see much of anything. Everything is blur without them.
In my 30's I had to change to TRI-focals.
But with my glasses off I can hold some extrememly close and read it easier than others can if they use magnifying glass. (My boss used to use me as his magnifying glass all the time to read stuff in fine print for him)

I don't know what they will suggest when the time comes but I didn't know that the patient could choose lenses.
That's food for thought.
I learn something every day on this board!

Last edited by snowmelts; 09-11-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts,
My eyes were virtually clones of yours before my cataract surgery.

Like MrsShahidKapur's father, I was having trouble seeing when driving at night.
Specifically, I had trouble seeing exactly where the road was when making turns.

Well, here I am over a year after cataract surgeries, and this is the result:
  • I can no longer see things up close like I could before (and like you can now).
    Even with glasses, it's not quite so much detail.
  • I can see about 20/30 to 20/40 without glasses (as opposed to 20/800 before surgery) but have astigmatism, so scarcely anything is really clear without glasses.
  • I can see the horizon as a sharp line out on Lake Michigan on a clear (weather wise) day.
  • My low-light (night) vision is poor, much like going without glasses was like before surgery. Even with glasses, my night driving is a bit scary.
  • I have larger halos around lights at night than I did before surgery.
  • I have 2 sets of glasses:
    Single-vision for driving and watching the tv or movies or PowerPoint presentations from further than 5 feet away.
    Bifocals for the computer and printed material held in someone else's hand for me to see (top) and reading up close or sewing (bottom).

Last edited by seriousperson; 09-11-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I don't drive at night but I haven't for a long time simply because where I am its pitch dark for about 4 miles down the highway to the nearest street light!

But I can still see fine in daylight for driveing and everything.
I do appreciate good lamps in the house though.

The single vision lens and the bifocals you have sound like the 3 lens I have in my trifocals.

Actully when I worked I kept a pair of bifocals exactly like you describe at my computer desk.

So far there are no halos around anything so I really don't think my cataracts are ready for removal.

Last edited by snowmelts; 09-11-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Closed Thread