It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Question Blurry vision in right eye

3 years ago, i noticed the vision in my right eye was blurred. It has become progressivly worse since then, but not to the point of not being able to make anything out. There is ghosting and haloing and like a 'light' that comes down and goes up when i blink. I haven't been to the opticians for 17 years. Everyone says to me 'Once you start wearing glasses, your eyesight just gets worse, as your eyes are depending on the glasses.' I don't want that. Would i benefit from laser eye surgery?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Blurry vision in right eye

Fer cryin' out loud!! Get to an optometrist and find out what is wrong. Then decide what to do about it. It's highly ironic that you don't want to wear glasses because they will supposedly make your vision worse, yet you're walking around with bad vision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

squatchimo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelaC
Fer cryin' out loud!! Get to an optometrist and find out what is wrong. Then decide what to do about it. It's highly ironic that you don't want to wear glasses because they will supposedly make your vision worse, yet you're walking around with bad vision.
Ahhhh, the voice of reason. Thank you. As I've said before, there a lot of posters here who would really benefit from an eye exam every now and then. If you're having vision problems, an eye doc will help out a lot more than a message board.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

I guess i'm scared they're gonna say i'm going blind or something. I have a problem with my left eye, too. The muscles don't work properly and my eyes don't 'work together' all the time.

And when i close one eye, i can't see as well as i can through both eyes. Is that normal?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

squatchimo HB User

Please re-read the 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I too have blurry vision, eyes do not focus together, but I wear glasses and can now see like other people do. Glasses do not cause your eyes to get worse. I have been wearing glasses for many, many years and my eyes have been the same for 2 years without anymore change. Remember, your eyes do change over time. Going without correction to the problem does not hurt anyone but yourself. Not wearing glasses to correct a problem causes extra strain on the eyes.

There are a lot of old wives tales out there that you should not believe and this is one of them!

You have let your eyes go for so long there is no turning back the clock to perfect vision as you may have known it in your younger days. Why go thru life not seeing. Don't be vain about wearing glasses, much better than living in a dim world!!

Old 10-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800
I too have blurry vision, eyes do not focus together, but I wear glasses and can now see like other people do. Glasses do not cause your eyes to get worse. I have been wearing glasses for many, many years and my eyes have been the same for 2 years without anymore change. Remember, your eyes do change over time. Going without correction to the problem does not hurt anyone but yourself. Not wearing glasses to correct a problem causes extra strain on the eyes.

There are a lot of old wives tales out there that you should not believe and this is one of them!

You have let your eyes go for so long there is no turning back the clock to perfect vision as you may have known it in your younger days. Why go thru life not seeing. Don't be vain about wearing glasses, much better than living in a dim world!!
Thank you for that. I have decided to go and get them checked out before the year's out.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

That's wise. Report back.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

I will do.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

I went to get my eyes checked today and they are ok. They told me my right eye is only slightly worse than my left one and it's not worth wearing glasses for. I had the optomap aswell, where they take a digital photo of your eye to see if there is anything behind it.

So i'm happy now. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakira View Post
I had the optomap aswell, where they take a digital photo of your eye to see if there is anything behind it.
Like a brain? I couldn't resist.

That's good news. Doesn't fix the blurry vision though. Did you see much more clearly when you were doing the test looking through the different lenses?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

LOL!

When she put the 2 lenses in and asked if it was better with the 1st or 2nd, sometimes one of them was clearer, sometimes there was no difference, so i don't know what that meant.

She asked if i could see a difference in my sight now and what it used to be like and i said yes. She said as long as i can see ok, there's no point in wearing glasses. I might put them on and think "Is it better with them or not?" But if my sight starts to annoy me, then i could get glasses. As long as i know there's nothing seriously wrong with my eyes, i can relax now.

Last edited by Shakira; 01-21-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Actually, negative lenses glasses does make your vision worse. Go to myopia.org for further information. If your vision issue is dealing with myopia (nearsightedness), I suggest wearing a pair of postive lenses glasses to try to improve your vision back to 20/20. They can be purchased at a local drug store.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

squatchimo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothbrush1 View Post
Actually, negative lenses glasses does make your vision worse. Go to myopia.org for further information. If your vision issue is dealing with myopia (nearsightedness), I suggest wearing a pair of postive lenses glasses to try to improve your vision back to 20/20. They can be purchased at a local drug store.
I like how the cure for the "crutch" of glasses......is more glasses. Genius. And unless those plus lenses have the ability to reshape your cornea or shrink your eyeball, you won't be seeing 20/20 without those evil minus lenses any time soon.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchimo View Post
I like how the cure for the "crutch" of glasses......is more glasses. Genius. And unless those plus lenses have the ability to reshape your cornea or shrink your eyeball, you won't be seeing 20/20 without those evil minus lenses any time soon.
It is a treatment for it. It applies to people with low and initial myopia. The plus lenses can treat low myopia and reverse their vision back to 20/20. Minus lenses are a temporary solution; in the long run, they only continue to worsen your nearsightedness. Hense why people need new perscriptions annually/biannually.

Closed Thread