It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

ANT111 HB User
Restasis doesn't work if you have punctal plugs

Has anyone had progress with using restasis in conjunction with having punctal plugs or in combination with anti-inflammatory drops. According to the clinical results people who have plugs do not have an increase in tear production. Does anyone think in order to give restasis a full chance at efficacy plugs should be removed and then try restasis for 6 months which is the time that is suggested to see results.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
(female)

NikiJo HB User
Re: Restasis doesn't work if you have punctal plugs

I dont believe that they have actually done studies with people who already have plugs in place. They make the statement that 'this increase in production was not seen with punctal plugs' and a doctor told me that they mean that plugs will not actually increase tear production - just prolong the residence in the eye. Therefore restasis is the only thing on the market that can claim to increase production. They've not done studies on the two in conjunction with each other.

I know of a couple of people who have done well on restasis and have had all four ducts plugged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi
I started Restasis in August and so far I notice some slight improvement, although was told it takes at least 4 months to work. I tried to find out as much as I could about the Restasis, since I tend to have allergic reactions to a lot of drugs. I read that Restasis works by opening up the ducts, which they think get clogged by "debris". (Hope I'm explaining this adequately.)
So I'd think in order for the Restasis to rid the ducts of this material that blocks them, the Restasis would have to have access to the ducts. If the ducts had plugs in them, then maybe the Restasis wouldn't work.
Just my impression.
Hellas

Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I have excellent results with Restasis and I have plugs in both lower lids.

Remember, Restasis does not take the place of using eyedrops for dry eyes. Doctor told me to use Restasis, wait 5 minutes or more and then use regular eyedrops. I go much longer between putting drops in eyes these days, no longer have the gritty irritated eye feeling from eyes being too dry. Doctor could actually see tear flow now.

Restasis will work better for those who have autoimmune problems from what I have read. I have Roscea in eyelids which caused Blepharitis and dry eyes. Rosacea is considered an autoimmune problem. I am hypothyroid and diabetic.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

I don't know how Restasis, or any other chemicals, are supossed to work when the ducts are plugged. The medications won't get into the ducts to work in your system.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
(female)

bostonlover HB User

The puncta are the drainage system of the eye. There function is just that, to drain. They do not produce the tears, that is done by a gland on the opposite side from the puncta. Restasis hasn't been studied in those with punctal plugs, but that doesn't mean it is less effective for them. The plugs only effect on the Restasis is it would take longer to drain out of the eye, which I would imagine would be more effective since it has a longer contact time.....

The Following User Says Thank You to bostonlover For This Useful Post:
valeriedando (03-20-2012)
Closed Thread