It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Why do so many people have BAD VISION?

So i was thinking the other day, why do so many people have bad eyes? I know people say its genetic but why don't our bodies correct themselves in this way? If you take evolution and what not, why wouldn't our bodies develop the ability to FIX this genetic problem, etc.? It seems like more and more people are having trouble seeing as time goes on. what's the deal?

scott

Old 12-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Why do so many people have BAD VISION?

I've often wondered that myself. As far as natural selection goes, people don't die off anymore from bad eyesight, so it doesn't get weeded out.
I have no idea why so many people need glasses.

Last edited by KeelaC; 12-03-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Yes, because even if you take natural selection as something that no longer can effect us because of improved medicine/lifestyle, even then when man first walked to the earth eyesight must have NOT caused people to die, because the trait was passed on to us! So during the evolution of man people with bad eyesight should have theoretically all died off.. but if they did how come we have such bad eye sight today? Wouldn't natural selection have fixed this problem when man first began to evolve? It makes no sense. I wish docs would start studying more the causes of things rather than simply fixing or masking the problem. Maybe then there wouldn't be so many diseases.

scott

Old 12-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

aliasnewname HB User

[ I wish docs would start studying more the causes of things rather than simply fixing or masking the problem. Maybe then there wouldn't be so many diseases.

scott[/QUOTE]
Agreed, totally!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasnewname
[ I wish docs would start studying more the causes of things rather than simply fixing or masking the problem. Maybe then there wouldn't be so many diseases.

scott
Agreed, totally![/QUOTE]

Review some of the latest research comments on the causes of Myopia :

"Myopia could be affected by several genes and the environment as well," says J. Fielding Hejtmancik of the National Eye Institute in Bethesda, Md.

There's evidence that one major environmental contributor is close-up work. Researchers have observed that an increased literacy rate in a population is often followed by a dramatic rise in the rate of myopia, says Karla S. Zadnik of Ohio State University's College of Optometry in Columbus.

Do parents who became myopic because of heavy reading create an environment that encourages their kids to follow suit, she asks. Or do kids inherit a genetic propensity for myopia, and reading triggers it?

If scientists can determine the genetic mechanisms for myopia, they might develop targeted pharmaceutical agents that can halt or slow the excessive eye growth that causes it.

Eyes

Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Apart from myopia, the lens in most people's eyes "wears out" around the late forties. It loses its flexibility, resulting in presbyopia. Cataracts are common in later life. That is probably environmental.

I think humans have many design flaws, apart from the eyes. We should never have started walking upright for one thing.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco24
So i was thinking the other day, why do so many people have bad eyes? I know people say its genetic but why don't our bodies correct themselves in this way? If you take evolution and what not, why wouldn't our bodies develop the ability to FIX this genetic problem, etc.? It seems like more and more people are having trouble seeing as time goes on. what's the deal?

scott
The reason is not because of genetics like the National Eye Institute or any corporations-funded organizations. I assuming you are referring to myopia (nearsightedness). The cause is prolonged near work (reading, computer usage). Evolution did not develop the human eye to handle constant near work on the eyes. Several thousands of years ago, humans are farmers and gatherers. We look in the distances. As literacy rates increases, so does myopia rates. It is evident in the public conception that people have glasses are smart.

The true reason why the gov't organizations like National Eye Institute dont attempt to resolve the myopia is because profits comes before public interest. The optical industry (eyeglasses, contact lenses, and laser surgury) is a mult-billion dollar industry. There have been studies on the prevention of myopia but they were rejected because that would bankrupt the optical industry and obviously terrible for profits. Their current policy is that myopia cannot be prevented which is a blatant lie all at the expense of young children in the name of profits.

Last edited by toothbrush1; 12-06-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothbrush1
.......The true reason why the gov't organizations like National Eye Institute dont attempt to resolve the myopia is because profits comes before public interest. The optical industry (eyeglasses, contact lenses, and laser surgury) is a mult-billion dollar industry. There have been studies on the prevention of myopia but they were rejected because that would bankrupt the optical industry and obviously terrible for profits. Their current policy is that myopia cannot be prevented which is a blatant lie all at the expense of young children in the name of profits.
Years ago,when I was a young man (about your age), I had some of the same thoughts and opinions that you have expressed about the eye care profession. Everytime I needed a change in my glasses perscribtion, I blamed my optometrist,suggesting that he just wanted to sell me a pair of glasses for the money. I resented the fact that I needed the glasses because I was very myopic. He just smiled at me, took my glasses and said "if your not happy with having to wear your glasses, I'm sure you would not be happy with an up-to-date perscribtion". With that comment,he just walked away with my glasses and said "be careful driving home !".

I learned a big lesson that day: When you have a need too "see", it is best not to "bit the hands of those who help you 'see' ".

Eyes

Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

True, but I don't like feeling defective. It would be nice to have a prevention for myopia but atleast we have the ability to eliminate it via surgery.

Impaired vision nowadays is a nuisance but imagine how it must have been a hundred years ago, two hundred years ago and further.

I'm glad I have my contacts until my eyes stop changing and then I'll get the surgery.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYESTWO22
Years ago,when I was a young man (about your age), I had some of the same thoughts and opinions that you have expressed about the eye care profession. Everytime I needed a change in my glasses perscribtion, I blamed my optometrist,suggesting that he just wanted to sell me a pair of glasses for the money. I resented the fact that I needed the glasses because I was very myopic. He just smiled at me, took my glasses and said "if your not happy with having to wear your glasses, I'm sure you would not be happy with an up-to-date perscribtion". With that comment,he just walked away with my glasses and said "be careful driving home !".

I learned a big lesson that day: When you have a need too "see", it is best not to "bit the hands of those who help you 'see' ".

Eyes
The reason why you are dependent on your eyeglasses is because your doctor never offer any preventive measures to help you when you were young. It is not your optometrist's fault exactly; it is the optical profession itself. They are paid by the optical companies to prescribe negative lens rather than help prevent myopia. Now you are dependent on glasses because our myopia is to the point that it cannot be reversed. If the negative len glasses help you then your vision shouldnt get worse but remain the same. Negative lens make our vision worse because our eyes has to adapt to them. go to myopia.org for further info.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msminnamouse
True, but I don't like feeling defective. It would be nice to have a prevention for myopia but atleast we have the ability to eliminate it via surgery.

Impaired vision nowadays is a nuisance but imagine how it must have been a hundred years ago, two hundred years ago and further.

I'm glad I have my contacts until my eyes stop changing and then I'll get the surgery.
Impaired vision was rare hundreds of years ago because the literacy rate was much lower. Nearsightedness comes from prolonged near work such as reading and computer work.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Agreed, totally!

"Myopia could be affected by several genes and the environment as well," says J. Fielding Hejtmancik of the National Eye Institute in Bethesda, Md.

There's evidence that one major environmental contributor is close-up work. Researchers have observed that an increased literacy rate in a population is often followed by a dramatic rise in the rate of myopia, says Karla S. Zadnik of Ohio State University's College of Optometry in Columbus.

Do parents who became myopic because of heavy reading create an environment that encourages their kids to follow suit, she asks. Or do kids inherit a genetic propensity for myopia, and reading triggers it?

If scientists can determine the genetic mechanisms for myopia, they might develop targeted pharmaceutical agents that can halt or slow the excessive eye growth that causes it.

Toothbrush :

In fact,my Optomertist did offer an alternative to the to the "neg len Rx".
He suggested a "positive len Rx" for reading and close work. The result was a bifocal type Rx,the distance (top portion of the negitive lens) for clear vision;and the bifocal (bottom portion of positive lens) for less stressful near vision. By wearing this type of Rx (glasses),I found that my myopia actually did slow down in progression. I still give credit to my Optometrist for considering this type of preventive Rx (glasses) for control of myopia.
To date,there are many Optometrist who will always suggest a bifocal Rx for myopic children as a control and prevention of myopia.

Eyes

Eyes[/QUOTE]

Old 12-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #13
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Quote:

Toothbrush :

In fact,my Optomertist did offer an alternative to the to the "neg len Rx".
He suggested a "positive len Rx" for reading and close work. The result was a bifocal type Rx,the distance (top portion of the negitive lens) for clear vision;and the bifocal (bottom portion of positive lens) for less stressful near vision. By wearing this type of Rx (glasses),I found that my myopia actually did slow down in progression. I still give credit to my Optometrist for considering this type of preventive Rx (glasses) for control of myopia.
To date,there are many Optometrist who will always suggest a bifocal Rx for myopic children as a control and prevention of myopia.

Eyes
Eyes
[/QUOTE]

The cause is excessive close work. This is strictly true for myopia. However, there are small number of cases where myopia is genetic. Like I said before, human eyes arent designed to handle near work like reading for prolonged periods of time. Evolution didnt make them that way- we were primarly farmers and gatherers in the past. Modern advances have changed our lifestyle, however evolution hasnt caught up.

You have a devoted optometrist; it is a shame the optican industry control the way optometrists are taught in the world. The best way to treat myopia is to prevent which the National Eye Institute say myopia cannot be provided. Why? The SCHOOLS OF OPTOMETRY AND OPHTHALMOLOGY are sponsered by various optican corporations that would be bankrupted if myopia was ever prevented. Did you know that postive lens Rx have been proven to reverse myopia back to 20/20 if it is noticed in the early stages? Go to myopia.org for more details. That where I went to know the truth. Its a shame I didnt know the information 10 years ago.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #14
(female)

Anadel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothbrush1

You have a devoted optometrist; it is a shame the optican industry control the way optometrists are taught in the world. The best way to treat myopia is to prevent which the National Eye Institute say myopia cannot be provided. Why? The SCHOOLS OF OPTOMETRY AND OPHTHALMOLOGY are sponsered by various optican corporations that would be bankrupted if myopia was ever prevented. Did you know that postive lens Rx have been proven to reverse myopia back to 20/20 if it is noticed in the early stages? Go to myopia.org for more details. That where I went to know the truth. Its a shame I didnt know the information 10 years ago.
The optican (or do you mean optical) industry does not control the way Optometrists are taught in the world. Your assertion the the schools of Optometry and Ophthalmology are controlled by the optical industry is also false.

While in a specific set of circumstances plus lens corrections for near work in children can help to prevent myopia, it is not so in the majority of cases. I have closely researched this subject and the studies that have been done show that only a small proportion of children (those that have esotropia, i.e their eyes tend to over-converge at near) that are prescribed plus or bifocal lenses for reading actually receive any benefit as far as myopia progression is concerned.

The field of myopia progression and prevention is one that is studied in the realms of optometric research. I am sure when and/or if a proven strategy were ever found for myopia prevention the optometric and ophthalmological community would embrace it. The methods are just not there,yet.

When and eye doctor prescribes you glasses they are not trying to "get you hooked". They just want to help you see better.

Last edited by Anadel; 12-11-2006 at 10:47 AM. Reason: quote didn't display properly

Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
(male)

toothbrush1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadel
The optican (or do you mean optical) industry does not control the way Optometrists are taught in the world. Your assertion the the schools of Optometry and Ophthalmology are controlled by the optical industry is also false.
Visit the School of Optometry website <opted.org> and look at the corporate contributors. Most of the them (if not all) are optical companies. These companies dont make money from optometrists being taught and trained to prevent myopia, the primacy reason why these companies exist in the first place.

Quote:
While in a specific set of circumstances plus lens corrections for near work in children can help to prevent myopia, it is not so in the majority of cases. I have closely researched this subject and the studies that have been done show that only a small proportion of children (those that have esotropia, i.e their eyes tend to over-converge at near) that are prescribed plus or bifocal lenses for reading actually receive any benefit as far as myopia progression is concerned.
Post a link to your research. Even if your research is correct, a small percentage of the children being cured of myopia is better than none.

Quote:
The field of myopia progression and prevention is one that is studied in the realms of optometric research. I am sure when and/or if a proven strategy were ever found for myopia prevention the optometric and ophthalmological community would embrace it. The methods are just not there,yet.
I'm sure that some people in the optometric and ophthalmological community would embrace it. There are kind-hearted people in the world. However, there are also those that know myopia prevention would bankrupt the companies that greatly profit from people with myopia.

Quote:
When and eye doctor prescribes you glasses they are not trying to "get you hooked". They just want to help you see better.
I am not doubting the hearts of the eye doctors. I am sure most of them seek to help others. But it is the way they are taught that I object to. They are taught to think that myopia cannot be prevented, it is hereditary and is not due to environment causes such as prolonged close work, which is the real cause for the majority of myopia cases.

Last edited by toothbrush1; 12-11-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Closed Thread