It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

cambria HB User
One eye dilating more than the other?

Hi, everyone... this is my first time posting on the Eye and Vision board...

At my last eye check-up almost a year ago, my doctor finally convinced me to get rid of my one-year (not disposables) colored contacts and try some disposables. I didn't really care anymore at that point so I went along with it. To make a long story short, a couple months after getting them, I began getting bad eye "irritation/allergies" (as the doctor called it) in my right eye. (Red, inflamed, sometimes itchy and/or burning but no gunky or mattery discharge.) I have only had pink eye or eye allergies THAT bad maybe 3 times in my life total. But this kept being a problem. I'd get it cleared up, then a few weeks later I'd have another flare up. I had about 6 or 7 major flare ups like that until I finally just requested that he order my old contacts. Since using them, I haven't had the problem.

Anyway, I had noticed a couple times at night when I was laying in bed without my contacts in of course or my glasses on that my vision seemed a bit... off. It's very hard to explain. It's not that my vision is impaired in my right eye, but something feels different. I noticed it again today after I took my glasses off to get in the shower. It was so noticeable that I looked in the mirror to check my eyes, and that's when I noticed that my right pupil was dilating a lot more than the left. It really scared me so I covered my left eye and the vision in my right eye was just fine. I had no gray areas or blurred vision (not anymore than normal anyway haha). So basically it's just the issue of dilation. I showered and put my contacts in after, and my vision is perfect, I no longer have that "off" feeling, but I can see when I look in a mirror that it's still dilating more.

I'm a little freaked out... I have no idea if this is due to having my eye so irritated so much that it's done permanent damage to something, or from using the steroid drops so much to clear all those flare-ups up... I also used some over-the-counter allergy eye drops earlier today because that eye was feeling a little itchy. I only used one drop, but I'm wondering if maybe the dilation could be due to that?

If anyone has some input as to what this could be, I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to give it until tomorrow morning and if it's still like that, I'll call the eye doctor. I'm inclined to say that it's not a constant problem because I definitely would have noticed if my eye was always dilated more than the other. Plus I can specifically think of times I've had my contacts out and glasses off and I didn't notice that "off" feeling. But it's still worrying me.

ETA - I just went to check out my eyes (about an hour after posting) and they're greatly improved. In well-lit areas, they seem to be equal. In darker areas, I can't really tell if it's still slightly bigger or if they're the same, because they're very close in size. ?

Last edited by cambria; 01-17-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread