It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Unhappy Pulsating, flashing, jagged arc...

This is really scaring me and actually making me nauseous. In my field of vision but off to the sides is this C shaped mostly clear flashing light, crumpled and jagged around the edges. It's there whether I close my eyes or not. Sometimes it even becomes a completel circle. The closes to describe it would be if the sun was shining on a very pricey diamond giving off dots of blue and red but it is primarily clear.
I get a mild headache during this time but this might be because of the fright of having it.
In January I went in for my yearly vision exam and he said my eyes were healthy in terms of any diseases. I have always been nearsighted and this is what my prescription read:
OD - 3.50+ .50x5 20/20
OS - 2.75+ sphere 20/20
Trifocal+
Add + 2.50 Progressive + 2.75

He said my right eye had hardly changed but the left one had and it is this eye that seems to be the problem with the flashing.

Does this type of visual disturbance sound familiar, can anyone tell me what this is?
Thank you, Solange1965

The following user gives a hug of support to Solange1965:
Lucky Ladybug (11-05-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Solange1965 For This Useful Post:
Lucky Ladybug (11-05-2011)
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

lsp63 HB User
Re: Pulsating, flashing, jagged arc...

If it only lasts for 30-60 minutes or so, it sounds like the aura of a silent migrane. Nothing to worry about. It has been happening to me for the past 30 years or so. The first time was very scary, but when I found out what it was, it was a relief. Go onto the internet and look it up and I bet your symptoms are the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp63 View Post
If it only lasts for 30-60 minutes or so, it sounds like the aura of a silent migrane. Nothing to worry about. It has been happening to me for the past 30 years or so. The first time was very scary, but when I found out what it was, it was a relief. Go onto the internet and look it up and I bet your symptoms are the same.
As some time went by after posting, I did eventually get a headache but not what I think is a migraine. But it's still hanging on and I took aspirin too. How often do you get these? Do they happen after you do something in particular that could trigger it?
Thanks for replying....Solange

Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

I get occular Migraines, you've explained it to a tee... but mine usually last about 30 minutes to an hour. I don't really get headaches, but a LOT of pressure behind that eye that starts t ache a bit - and I usually feel a little bit woozy and dizzy.

Mine are usually related to stress.

Last edited by Tamaralynn; 03-19-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

BassAckwards HB User

You should have your eyes dilated. Even if you just had it done in January, things can change. Flashes of light can be serious.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Solange, you should realize that you can get a migraine aura without getting a headache, or a bad headache. A characteristic of a migraine headache is that it is on one side of the head.
The jagged semi-circle is a classic description.
If it occurs again, closing one eye, then the other will tell you if the pattern is visible in both eyes. Often it seems to be one-sided, but is not. That's because, in the majority of cases, the visual disturbance is taking place in the brain, not the eyes.
There are triggers for migraines, yes. Finding out what they are can be difficult. Certain foods always turn up on the list. In my case, it's a sore back or neck.
There's tons of info about migraine auras online.

The following user gives a hug of support to KeelaC:
boydcarter (01-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to KeelaC For This Useful Post:
boydcarter (01-28-2012)
Old 03-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
You should have your eyes dilated. Even if you just had it done in January, things can change. Flashes of light can be serious.
I did have my eyes dilated, I only go to an opthamologist because I want a very thorough exam. As much as I hate the drops I know that it is the best way for the doctor to exam the eyeball. I asked him about those newer machines that don't require drops but claim to give the doc a good view. He said they are simply the 'key' to the door but the dilation process 'opens' up the door and gives him a thorough look.
Thanks, Solange

Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
KeelaC-Re: Pulsating, flashing, jagged arc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelaC View Post
Solange, you should realize that you can get a migraine aura without getting a headache, or a bad headache. A characteristic of a migraine headache is that it is on one side of the head.
The jagged semi-circle is a classic description.
If it occurs again, closing one eye, then the other will tell you if the pattern is visible in both eyes. Often it seems to be one-sided, but is not. That's because, in the majority of cases, the visual disturbance is taking place in the brain, not the eyes.
There are triggers for migraines, yes. Finding out what they are can be difficult. Certain foods always turn up on the list. In my case, it's a sore back or neck.
There's tons of info about migraine auras online.
Yes that's true, when I cover my eyes I was still seeing this thing spinning and flashing. Oddly that you have a sore back and neck as I have noticed an increase in pain there when I turn my head from side to side. And can even hear a kind of faint grinding noise in the bone. But I don't see how that can effect getting this kind of migraine. Any ideas as to how that could be?
Solange1965

Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

I just started getting this yesterday and was very worried too. I called the dr. instantly and got in within 15 minutes. I had my eyes dilated and everything seemed fine. She said she thinks it's ocular migranes as well. I didn't get a headache either which is odd because usually I get really bad headaches but have never had this side effect before. Something to look forward to I guess.
She said it could be stress/anemia related. (for me)

Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissT View Post
I just started getting this yesterday and was very worried too. I called the dr. instantly and got in within 15 minutes. I had my eyes dilated and everything seemed fine. She said she thinks it's ocular migranes as well. I didn't get a headache either which is odd because usually I get really bad headaches but have never had this side effect before. Something to look forward to I guess.
She said it could be stress/anemia related. (for me)
You are right, it is frightening and worrisome. Honestly I am beginning to wonder if these kinds of headaches aren't somehow related to seizures of some kind? Many people seem to not feel themselves afterwards, very fatigued like a person who has experienced one. I had a neighbor who had seizures, petit mal and afterwards she said the fatigue was bad. I am not saying we are getting even close to it but as it involves brain activity you have to wonder.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Solange, you might be closer to the truth than you realize. What occurs in the brain during an aura is similar to a seizure. It involves chemical and electrical signals that cascade, or travel across the brain, or certain areas of it. A new treatment (still in trials I think) was originally used for seizures and is an electro-magnetic, battery-operated wand that is waved over the head to stop the electrical cascade.

Causes - I'm pretty sure of the back/neck connection in my own case. There are other migraine triggers, stress being one. How does stress work? Either by dumping hormones into the blood stream that can affect the blood vessels, or tightening up muscles that, I guess, affects the nerves. I think a tight/misaligned/worn back or neck would work the same way, affecting the muscles and nerves.

Closed Thread