It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User
Floaters. How bad?

Man, it was a bad day for me. But it was so nice out, I decided to go lay out in this big grass field near my house and lay down in the grass and kick back and relax to a nice cigar. So I did. The sky was a crystal clear blue with a few specs of a white cloud here and there.

I've never experienced floaters before, unless I'm looking at the sky. If I have my head flat and there's no trees around and look directly up so all I see is blue, if I move my eyes around sometimes I can notice tiny tiny shadows here and there. I've noticed them before, but only when looking at the blue sky.

I don't wear contacts. I don't wear glasses. I've never had any trouble with my vision. I've never had an eye injury of any kind except a spitball back in 5th grade. And I first noticed these floaters yeeeears ago but I never thought anything of it. Now that I'm older (nearly 21) and learning more about health, I learned about floaters. However I'm questioning whether what I'm seeing is bad or not. Again, it's been years since I first noticed this, and only tonight I realized what they could be. Also take note, I never ever see these unless I'm looking up at the sky and I move my eyes around a lot. Even then sometimes it takes me a while to see them. If I look at a car, or a computer screen, or anything else, I never see them.

After googling a bit, I found this. How accurate is this?

Also, if I go to an eye doc and test positive for floaters, how do I get rid of them? Is there something they can do, or am I just SOL if my retinas start to detach?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vitreous is a clear gel that fills the space between the crystalline lens and the retina. As you age, the vitreous begins to thin and sometimes separate from the back of the eye. This is known as posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). As bits of the vitreous gel separate, they may cast shadows on the retina. These shadows are referred to as floaters. These floaters are very common and rarely cause any serious problems.

However, floaters may also be the result of a more serious condition. Floaters may result from retinal tears or detachment, or from an eye disease. Floaters may also present a more serious problem if they are associated with migraine headaches.

Floaters may present themselves in various symptoms. These include:

* Black spots
* Spider ****
* Flashing lights or colors
* Obstructed vision

Floaters are generally considered harmless. However, if floaters are accompanied by other symptoms they may be a sign of a more serious problem. If you are noticing floaters in your line of vision, contact us today for an evaluation of this visual impairment.

Last edited by lovinthev8; 04-02-2007 at 05:54 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovinthev8 For This Useful Post:
lisatuenge (05-31-2011), openminedman (05-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

tee-pee HB User
Re: Floaters. How bad?

Lovinthev8,

Hi, something you might want to look up Scheerer's phenomenon. I have them, they are compleatly harmless just annoying. You only see them when you look at the sky or snow or even a white house. It has to be a large light background.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

That's dead on to what I experience. I rarely even see it against snow or a white background. Today I was in class, bright white flat walls. Lights were on bright and I took a good look and couldn't notice anything. But the blue sky? Yeah, then I notice them.

But I noticed that they tend to be a pattern. Like... When I DO see them, they tend to look similar to what they did before. I have to look hard to notice them, but when I do sometimes (not all the time) they look very similar to what I had seen before. Is that still a normal thing with this phenomenon?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

tee-pee HB User

I have just learned about this myself, so i'am still learning. Trying to describe them is very difficult. The best discription i can give you, it's like looking at organisms under a microscope. There doesn't seem to be any type of pattern to it. Maybe you have something different?

Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

tee-pee HB User

After thought, i have never been able to see them indoors, only outdoors.
I think most people can only see them against the sky. Blue background.
When i told my eye doctor about this, his reply was, he just saw them for the first time when he went skiing. He seemed to be quite happy that he was able to experience it. I was thinking i might go blind.(LOL)

Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

Yeah. Blue sky is the only time I can see it. I used to think they were just bugs flying around, since I'd see them outside but not inside. I also have to be concentrating on the sky in order to notice them. Like last night, I was laying down for a solid 45 minutes, just relaxing and enjoying a cigar staring into the blue blankness of the sky when I saw it.

Ahh well, I won't sweat it.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

I also have floaters, mainly in my right eye. Mine looks like a piece of hair and a couple of spots of mascara (which I thought they were when I first saw them a few months ago.)

I saw an opthalmologist, and he said that I have posterior vitreous detachment, which is where the jelly-like filling of the eyeball pulls loose from the back of the eye. It does occur with age, though usually not until you're in your 60's, which I'm not (I'm 44!) The eye doctor could actually see my floaters when he did the eye exam. They don't bother me much, though sometimes they do get in my way when I'm reading or watching TV.

I think the majority of floaters are harmless, unless, as the information you posted said, you have other symptoms with them.

Closed Thread