It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

trixie91 HB User
Eye/Cornea/Sclera Discoloration

I have a combination of problems in my eyes, I think. They burn almost constantly and itch quite a bit. But the biggest problem to me (which is probably quite superficial and silly) is that they usually, almost always actually, have this yellowish/brown tinge. The yellowish/brown tinge varies in intensity, sometimes it is absolutely terrible and brown (and Iím talking about the part thatís supposed to be white, the cornea area) and then sometimes it looks fairly normal, just a little dull and glazed.

When I was younger, I always had itchy, red eyes and was given drops to use, but as a child I didnít like putting drops, didnít care what color my eyes were and didnít really mind the itching and burning, at least not as much as I minded putting dreaded eye drops.

Now, however, Iím putting in eye drops around 4 times a day (Iíve gotten over my dislike of them, Iíve had to.)

When I went by the eye doctor he said that the discoloration was due to allergies and prescribed a drop called FML (fluorometholone ophthalmic suspension_, which I was to put for 3 days and then stop. It worked somewhat but only for a few hours after application. Since I had been told that allergies were the root of my problem I proceded to try several other allergy medicines:

Naphcon A- Works for about 4 hrs, sometimes

Visine A- Works sometimes, for varying time periods

Visine- Not an allergy medicine, just a vessel constrictor. Provides most whitening but I try not to use too frequently for fear of capillaries becoming
dependant on it.

Visine tears- Also not an allergy medicine, but I thought, or rather I read that a lubricant
might help. Doesnít really work.

I am a little concerned because sometimes when I put a lot of drops my eyeballsÖache?

It was also suggested that what I have is just pigmentation, but if it were just that then my eyes wouldnít become clear/normal for a couple hours on use of drops.

Also, when I raise my eyelid slightly the part that is usually covered is pretty white and normal, aside from some spots which Iíve been told is normal.

On close inspection with a magnifying mirror and a light my eyes appear to be white, bright and normal, except that there are a lot of very fine capillaries clumped together creating a meshy-thing, like a red brown tint, kind of like on a car window that gives it the creepy appearance.

My whole life Iíve had people ask me if I was crying etc because of my eyes but it never really bugged me. Now it does, it seems like it has gotten worse, or maybe I am more sensitive to it. I really canít stand people assuming Iím a druggie etc and Iíve developed a sort of complex about it..I donít like people looking me in the eye because I feel like theyíre all noticing and I feel awkward/bad.

One more thing. I have done liver tests as I was told that liver issues can cause eye discoloration (basically jaundice) but nothing is wrong according to SEVERAL tests over about 3 years. I have also taken cleansing tablets given to me by a herbalist for it but it had no effect.

Advice, suggestions, comments, anything?

Thanks
trixie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

sbj1104 HB User
Re: Eye/Cornea/Sclera Discoloration

have you received a response yet? I have been searching all over the web because my eyes have the same discoloration and I have a LONG history of allergy problems as well. I haven't been able to find the cause and when I asked my doctor, she said there was no cause for alarm, and that this discoloration can happen in African Americans as we age but I can't help but be VERY concerned because it has just started happening within the past month and I think I look sickly/unhealthy because of it.

Last edited by sbj1104; 04-14-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: better flow of a sentence

Closed Thread