It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(male)

Syagrius HB User
Painful angular blepharitis

Hi,

I have been diagnosed an angular blepharitis by the ophthalmologist on both eyes. I don't feel anything wrong with my right eye, but it is awful with my left eye. In the left corner of my left eye, I feel a pain in the eyelid that goes deep into my skull. I follow the treatment the ophthalmologist gave me. He prescribed me tobradex for two weeks and to put warm compresses. But it does not help at all the ease my left eye after one week of treatment.

I wonder if I will be stuck with that unconfortable feeling for the rest of my life. Could he has missed the true source of the blepharitis in his diagnosis? Bacterial or viral? He didn't say what was the source. What should I do?

Thanks!

Syagrius

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Re: Painful angular blepharitis

Hi, Syagrius. I'm not sure how much this will help but here goes. First, I have had blepharitis and also been treated with Tobradex. Or, should I say I HAVE blepharitis -- that's the thing I most want to share. According to my eye doctor, it's a chronic condition. That said, the first time (and I think maybe the ONLY time) I was ever treated for it was when I felt something wrong, besides the fact that the place where my lashes met the lid was red and a little swollen. You can check on this with your own doctor but what I'm trying to tell you is that if this is the case, think of what you have as a flare-up and it WILL go away. Your lids might be a little red and if you look at the margin (where the lid and lashes meet) you might see a VERY thin white line, only visible to you, not to anyone else, even when the flare-up subsides.

Since I know I have it (or am prone to it), I make sure to pay attention to that area. I'm not sure we're allowed to mention names of products but as a female, I've abandoned the use of commercial eye make-up removers in favor of a thing that comes in individual packets with the word "scrub" in it. Never fear, you do NOT scrub the sensitive area, rather, you use it gently. Even though you're not female, if your doctor confirms this is chronic, you should use this at least a few times a week. Funny thing is, my mother told me that in the "old" days, she used to clean her margins with baby shampoo and a Q-tip. (And that's probably still just as good!) Anyway, this was/is my situation and I hope it helps. One (maybe two) flare-ups in the past 10 years and it's not visible to anyone but me!

If you feel that the medication is not working for you (can't remember the time frame for recovery) you should call your doctor and give them an update though.

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-09-2007 at 07:38 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bearygood:
cassie12 (01-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
(male)

Syagrius HB User

Hi Bearygood,

Baby shampoo could be a good idea. I have done some research and indeed it is something prescribed for it. I found last night a site which also tell that castor oil could be a remedy too. Althought it is unconventional, I am ready to give it a try too.

I will try it and give an update in this forum about the results. It says it could work within a 10 days time frame.

Syagrius

Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Re: baby shampoo, just a gentle way to clean the margins and that's what you need to do because the follicles can get clogged. I don't even think my mother mentioned it to me because of anything to do with blepharitis but ironically, I don't think it's uncommon to be hereditary. Re: castor oil, I assume you're talking about taking it internally, right?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
(female)

Magsy11 HB User

Hello,

I am a dietetic intern and hopefully will be a dietitian in about a year. Currently, I am doing an assignment where I have to research angular blepharitis from a nutritional point of view. In my initial findings, angular blepharitis is related to a deficiency in pyridoxine, riboflavin, and/or niacin. Nutritional deficiencies can be a result of inadequate intake or can be caused by certain medications ingested. I would definitely talk to your doctor about this information and see if there is anything nutritionally you can do to bring you some relief. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread