It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
(male)

wilycoyote HB User
Floaters and Vitamins

Hello all,

I am very new to the board and have developed an issue within my vision. I have searched the forums to see if any posts related to the topic so I am not double posting. I have researched this issue on the internet very much since these objects started appearing in my eyes. Spiderwebs, dots, a wiggly line, these spots and objects follow my vision. From researching online of course these lead to "floaters" so far, I am making an appointment with my doctor and will follow this all the way through.

However I wanted to post on when exactly these floaters started appearing. I read alot about thinning hair and I was advised to take some vitamins. A pill of all your basic vitamins, E, B6, C, Soy Lecithin granules in milk or water. I picked these vitamins up at GNC and began taking them once a day. I also took my Mens one a day. I was just going to take the individual vitamins and skip the mens one a day until the GNC employee who seemed to know what he was talking about told me the 1 a day daily vitamin is actually only 50% of what your body really needs. So I figured it would be ok.

The amounts of the vitamins seemed to be in the normal dosage not anything crazy.

B-6 100 mg, B-Complex 50mg, E 400 IU, C 500 mg, Flaxseed Oil 1000 mg, and the Soy Lecithin Granules 2 teaspoons each morning in milk or water. I also began eating better, more fish, vegetables and less Caffeine alot more water.

about 2 weeks into taking these vitamins I developed the floaters, sat down at the computer and there they were not so many of them. It did not dawn on me it was the vitamins because vitamins are good for you! Well the floaters got worse the next day and so on and so forth, probably 3 days in of the floaters I knew I had to start reversing any changes to myself I made recently and the vitamins were the only thing.

I know there are other posts regarding floaters but I did not find one that stated what occurred before they showed up. I understand its a breakup of the gel in your eye and develop as you grow older but I have a huge hunch the vitamins did not help me. I will be bringing the vitamins to my doctor and possibly a nutrionist and whoever the doctor recommends me to for my floaters to seek more information. I also found some stories online where people taking large doses of vitamins developed floaters.

I also ran into a few stories about the retina, floaters having to do with detached retina and even worse floaters , static floaters then what I am experiencing. I must say these are extremely annoying and I feel for anyone who is experiencing anything in there eyes worse then this.

I would love to ask anyone out there if you have any information on this vitamin/ floater issue or was it just truly a coinidence?? I appreciate the time you took to read my story and will certainly post my doctor visit experiences on what they said about my story as I strongly feel its related. Have a great week everybody. Sorry for such a long post on what could be something minor compared to other medical issues that someone could be growing through.

Last edited by wilycoyote; 05-09-2007 at 11:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to wilycoyote For This Useful Post:
openminedman (05-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Re: Floaters and Vitamins

Son of a gun! I never heard of this but now that you mention it, I too am having more floaters, spider web ones, thought it was from shoveling some snow in Feb., 8 mo. after cataract surgery. They're certainly been a lot worse since then.

I hate taking my vitamins anyway, so now I can slow down on that!

You sure you didn't also do something too strenuous? Thanks for telling us about this and promising followup information. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
(male)

wilycoyote HB User

Nope nothing else strenuous at all. I have been unemployed for the past few weeks and besides starting the vitamins, I wakeup watch tv, do small computer jobs and thats all. I also get recommended nights sleep 5-7 hours. No other toxins in my body either. Doctors appointment Monday at 10AM then will probably be referred to a optomologist. I also was told by my doctor I have a thyroid issue and will be going to a thyroid doctor as well. Besides that I am healthy

So my on-set of floaters is def thyroid related, vitamins or just normal aging floaters and a coincidence.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I Have Thyroid Issues Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilycoyote View Post

I also was told by my doctor I have a thyroid issue and will be going to a thyroid doctor as well. Besides that I am healthy
So my on-set of floaters is def thyroid related, vitamins or just normal aging floaters and a coincidence.
Thyroid problems are not well understood at all by most doctors. You're lucky to have one who even acknowledges. Want some short-cut tips?

To get him to do a blood test for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and diabetes Monday, and send it out to a lab, results in 2 or 3 days, or send you as an outpatient to the nearest hospital, You'll have to be fasting, nothing after midnight (11:30 fine) just water that morning. I'd assure him that you studied up online during the weekend and know it's that simple.

If your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is very low, you're probably okay or if you still have symptoms of low thyroid, muscle pain, etc., maybe you're not utilizing it very well, I learned by googling.

Many people can't take Synthroid, which most doctors start them on at first. Most say they studied thyroid about 5 or 10 min. in medical school. Endocrinologists don't seem much better at all and may go by "fads" as when the gov't lowered potency of some of the meds, levothroid that I was on at the time, about 2001, w/out notifying apparently even the doctors. Mine prescribed muscle relaxants instead of discovering the cause. He was a very good old-fashioned Dr. otherwise.

Some resent our consulting the internet, but by suggesting an endocrinologist, he was admitting he hasn't studied thyroid much and you're just doing logical homework to save another co-pay, and time and all. I've been to endocrinologists and personally don't feel it's worth it. Didn't find out about muscle problems there. Think it was online.

If your eyes are bulging and TSH is way way below .1, which is my BEST point, (some hypo's can have a TSH or 2 or 3 hundred when they first get tested) you're hyper-thyroid, over-active, and many say don't let them remove your whole gland.

There are a few other tests, I think I read online, and some people like alternative medicine, Dr. Wilson, can be looked up, can't use the usual word here, if you don't get improvement. He temporarily lost his license, I think, when he came up with "Wilson's Syndrome" but seems pretty popular now.

What if it becomes impossible for some reason to get thyroid replacement pills? And I forget what other reasons. I'm now on levothyroxine 300 and still have itchy scalp, slight muscle problems, advanced diabetes which has almost destroyed one eye. Somewhere I think I read that low thyroid can cause diabetes. Also avoiding sugar is supposed to help avoid getting it.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted re what you find out. Why not have him test for diabetes too? I'm having a relapse in one eye, I may have already said, maybe from carrying music equipment recently, after shoveling snow in February, too soon, 8 mo., after cataract surgery. There are new spiderweb floaters from that, still, 3 mo. later, especially when I'm tired. Would love to know WHY, if you find out. Are yours mostly when you're tired? I know that started with the Feb snow shoveling.

I don't think my retina doctor can really see in there well any more because a membrane formed, and she had to punch holes behind my pupils. Don't know if I should seek another opinion because I simply forgot to tell her about the snow shoveling and equipment carrying, and lifting heavy things. They only tell you to be careful a couple of weeks, not 8 mo. She used to do laser to seal off those rupturing tiny blood vessels of diabetic retinopathy, which continues of course after cataract surgery. If you ever have to have that, don't let them give you mono-focus implants, although the newer ones cost more. You lose your near vision, and worry that if your house was on fire and you lost your glasses or didn't have time to grab them you might not even be able to use the phone. I'm always thinking "what if". What if something mechanical should go wrong with the implants? Forty yrs ago they kept your natural lenses, though I'm sure the operation was more difficult for them then. IOW, the implants have only been tested for about that long! I wasn't even told there are multi-focal ones available, not that I'd want to be among the first to try new ones. Good luck.

Last edited by Eagle; 05-12-2007 at 02:26 AM.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Just wanted to comment as someone who has been treated for hypothyroidism for MANY years. My experience has been that it's one of the EASIEST things to diagnose although granted, often overlooked and not tested for. Your T3 and T4 levels will fall within a certain range. The TSH will tell the doctor how HARD your thyroid is working to GET to those levels. If you have low TSH levels, it does NOT mean you're automatically okay -- diagnosis is based on the full series of blood work.

I've been on Synthroid for many years and although I know that many people opt for Armour grains, I've never heard of extensive problems with the synthetic. As with I believe ANY synthetic hormone, Synthroid can contribute to bones thinning so you should be taking calcium (with vitamin D).

Re: your eyes, Lutein and Bilberry are two supplements that usually come up for strengthening the eyes -- don't know if they'd specifically help floaters but it's possible and would be easy to find by researching the internet. Also, as you mentioned, it does have to do with drying up so make sure you stay well hydrated!

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-12-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thyroid Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
Just wanted to comment as someone who has been treated for hypothyroidism for MANY years. My experience has been that it's one of the EASIEST things to diagnose although granted, often overlooked and not tested for. Your T3 and T4 levels will fall within a certain range. The TSH will tell the doctor how HARD your thyroid is working to GET to those levels. If you have low TSH levels, it does NOT mean you're automatically okay -- diagnosis is based on the full series of blood work.

I've been on Synthroid for many years and although I know that many people opt for Armour grains, I've never heard of extensive problems with the synthetic. As with I believe ANY synthetic hormone, Synthroid can contribute to bones thinning so you should be taking calcium (with vitamin D).

Re: your eyes, Lutein and Bilberry are two supplements that usually come up for strengthening the eyes -- don't know if they'd specifically help floaters but it's possible and would be easy to find by researching the internet. Also, as you mentioned, it does have to do with drying up so make sure you stay well hydrated!
Hi, Bearygood.

If you're going to take Synthroid, yes, get a bone density scan. I don't take that, and my density was good when tested, to my surprise because I did get a broken tailbone tobaganning yrs ago.

There's I-Caps that contain Lutein and a long word I think starts with A. And you've been told by professionals that Dry Eye has something to do with floaters? Come to think of it my retina doctor did tell me once that my vitreous was starting to clump up. She was going to do a vitrectomy to remove diabetic retinopathy scarring but changed her mind when my vision was suddenly a lot worse last time. It had been 20/80 after capsultomy following cataract surgery, and was back to 20/200. Now letters on the TV screen are badly distorted. I was thinking it's been that way before, when she was doing laser treatments for the retinopathy, and got better. I've had new floaters since doing some snow shaveling, hasn't been three months, so maybe it will spontaneously get better.

I have a booklet I thought was only about retinopathy, found a copy of one of the pages today and the wrecked-up letters on the TV screen are from Macular (a part of the retina) degeneration, where the layers may begin to separate and fluid leak in. It said usually your peripheral vision will stay okay, just central vision and color intensity deteriorate. I think I've read online that once macular degeneration gets to a certain point, and I forget what that is, there's a new medicine that may reverse it. Sorry, I forget the name of that too, didn't think I had the problem.

Last edited by Eagle; 05-13-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Bearygood;2979452]J
,,,,,,,,, If you have low TSH levels, it does NOT mean you're automatically okay -- diagnosis is based on the full series of blood work. ....... [QUOTE]

How did it go Monday morning, Wily?

What other thyroid blood work did you have, Beary? I've had this for a lot of decades and since computers I've read forums about it and have done searches. Maybe I've forgotten something. I'm old enough.

Usually the thyroid test is done and sent to the lab along with other physcial checkup tests such as cholesterol, maybe liver, a whole list of things. Is that what you mean, Beary?

There can be an absorption problem but most doctors probably will not know that much about the subject, and around 2001 the potency was lowered on some thyroid drugs, which gave me a lot of muscle pain, and slowed reaction when driving, I'm pretty sure I already mentioned.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is also possible for the TSH to be TOO low, what my endo has clinically referred to as "suppressed".

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-17-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Undetectable TSH

Yes, and I learned from the forums quite a while back that some people feel best when theirs is undetectable, which doctors probably will never tell us. I think I'm one of them, but if I can just get to about .1 then I make do with that. Close enough.

Have you heard of poor absorption? And whether it makes a difference if your pills are fresh? We just started ordering by mail, 90-day supplies, to save on monthly co-pays, and my thyroid pills are bigger than the ones I recently bought at a pharmacy, many of them broken. But who knows, they may be fresher than the pharmacy ones, huh? I haven't started taking them yet.

Last edited by Eagle; 05-18-2007 at 04:09 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know, I'm not sure that's correct in terms of low TSH being a good thing, even if you feel better... This is so old hat to be by now and I trust my endo so much, I don't question him when my dose fluctuates. (Believe me, I have other endocrinologists to compare him to so the trust isn't in a vacuum!) I have an appointment in June and I'll ask him about what physical implications that has -- but I'm sure some people on the thyroid board probably know!

Never heard anything about absorption but all medication does have a shelf life. Interesting about the 90 day thing. (I never got around to doing that but you've just reminded me! ) Do you take a generic? I'm only on Synthroid so for me it would be the same. That said, I'd be upset if any came broken and if they somehow mysteriously changed their appearance, I'd certainly question that! In fact, you're really jogging my memory here -- the REASON I've always been on Synthroid is because it's more regulated/controlled than any other medication (explained to me long ago). With this in mind, if you're taking generic and they've changed to a cheaper brand because of the program, that would honestly worry me a little.

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-18-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Bearygood;2991075d ......I'll ask him about what physical implications that has -- but I'm sure some people on the thyroid board probably know!

...............With this in mind, if you're taking generic and they've changed to a cheaper brand because of the program, that would honestly worry me a little.[/QUOTE]

Don't do it, try to save monthly copays by ordering 90-day supply. Too tricky, much more trouble than it's worth.

I just got a letter yesterday stating they "couldn't" give me a 90-day supply of two of my meds, glucophage (metformin) and another, glipizide I think. No clue as to whether they supply was low or it's just a "bait and switch" tactic. They want me to send in another $10 co-pay for the next refill already. Nuts to that. I can easily get them from the local pharmacy drive up window if I'm having to do the copays anyway. I ordered 5 things, and 3 of them seem to be messed up in some way, so, probably the other 2 also are. My hubby's out of town this weekend so I can't talk it over with him until he gets back.

Thanks for asking our thyroid questions at your next appointment. Funny thing, one endo that I once consulted, was only about 5 ft tall, which I wouldn't have noticed, probably, if he hadn't mentioned it. He had an ego to make him seem much taller. Too much ego, in fact, so that he didn't want me to think I knew a darned thing. I was there to test for Addison's, but the problem turned out to be due to potency of thyroid meds having been lowered w/out telling doctors. He wanted me to take even less, w/out even doing any testing for that. Just like many g.p.'s, he thought 2 gr is an upper limit. I take 3, and heard of one girl online who was on 5 gr. a day. Online is where I found there can be a problem with absorption, but not what to do about it. But I'm getting along well enough on the levothyroxine, which potency evidently wasn't changed. At least not then. Don't know about the future and I'm concerned about the broken pills, will ask hubby if I could send them back and get mine locally w/out a big hassle from Blue Cross.

Last edited by Eagle; 05-19-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #12
(male)

wilycoyote HB User

Sorry for such a long response on the Monday visit on my floaters and my possible thyroid issue.

Last time I visited my doctor and blood was taken for thyroid results came back and she stated there was a spike in some level. I am not exactly sure which level it was. So after a few weeks, not having medical insurance I gathered money and went the Monday before last like I stated in this previous post. She said "oh about your thyroid there was just a very small spike which is sometimes normal so I would like to take the blood again and do a ultra-sound on your neck" -she said there might be something like a chip or something on my neck near the thyroid gland. So the ultrasound is done and new blood was taken that day for more thyroid news to come my way soon.

About the floaters - she looked at my notepad of vitamins I recently began to take and she really did not comment on that at all. She tested my eyes and made me look around at the light on her pen and said they seemed fine for her. Gave me a list of opthamologists I could go see, which I am certainly going to go visit two of them to see what they say about floaters and how much there explanations differ.

So besides getting more blood drawn and a ultrasound for a possible thyroid issue there was not even a possible guess on the floaters. After the thyroid news and the floater news I will post the information incase anyone cares to read my experience. Thanks for the replies and your stories, love to read them. Have a great week

Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Never heard of anything like this. What about you other posters? I'm not claiming to be any authority.

Depending on what the others say, I think if it's costing a lot and you don't have insurance, I'd be tempted to go somewhere else, and maybe not mention any "chip" unless they bring it up. Did you do online research and verify there is such a thing? When I was looking up something else, I think I read that floaters can have something to do with detachment of something or other. Don't know if you're an older person and maybe diabetic, have a lot of scarring from laser treatment of diabetic retinopathy, even an eye injury. See, I don't know much about it.

Anyone know what an FA test is?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Don't know what an FA test is and never heard of a "chip". If she's using that word in place of "node", I'd CERTAINLY go see a different doctor! I have a node on my thyroid and get an ultrasound every 2 years to monitor it.

wily, please, get copies of all your blood work. You're entitled to it and it can be very helpful for future visits, especially if you're searching for answers and possibly new doctors. I've been treated for Hypothyroidism for many years but over one year too late. When I WAS finally diagnosed, my new doctor requested a copy of my last blood workup. It said: "TSH: Results to follow". I called the old doctor and asked the nurse what was up. She put me on hold and when she came back with the additional information she said "Oh my, that's VERY high". Yes, the other tests from the year before were in the normal range but my TSH was working WAY overtime to get them there. Story is slightly longer but you get the picture (and this is an eye and vision board! ) Anyway, it often pays to get copies of any blood work or test results.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

TSH Results Yet, Wily?

[QUOTE=Bearygood;3004052]
" Don't know what an FA test is and never heard of a "chip". If she's using that word in place of "node", I'd CERTAINLY go see a different doctor! I have a node on my thyroid and get an ultrasound every 2 years to monitor it. "

Amen, Wiley, I'd get my rightful copy of everything and go see a different person. She could at least use the right terms if she's not going to explain.
I'm not sure how to spell your nickname so I'm guessing various ways, but you're entitled to some straight talk from professionals.

BTW, the FA test is where they inject a dye, vegetable I think, which tells them something or other. I've had one before but a long time ago. I stopped by to talk to the girl at the desk to make sure I was ins. covered.

Closed Thread