It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2000, 07:44 PM   #1

NothingIsGo HB User
Unhappy Dry eyes, pressure behind the eyes, headaches

Okay, first the problem:
∑Dry/Irriated Eyes
∑Pressure between and under the eyes
∑Hard time sleeping
∑Headaches

Treatments I've tried:
Now, I've been told that they may be caused by allergies, but I was treated with medication (and intensive cleaning of my room and the house but that did not help. I've also been told that its because of my extensive use of the computer, I program so I spend like 4-12 hours on the computer a day. I don't know if this is it or not, because I cannot just readily quit using the computer. I gotta make a living some how. I have tried a glare screen, but that seems to have very little effect too. I'm using a standard SVGA monitor, vacuum tubbed (not LCD). Now, I've also tried eyedrops which didn't seem to help, I've also tried nasal sprays to releive the pressure behind the eyes, but that had no effect either. I've also been treated for depression, but that is not either. No medication has had any effect on me at all. I'm guessing its part of my daily routine thats effecting it (computer?) i'm narrowing it down to this, but I'm still not completely convinced this is the problem.

Questions:
∑Is there a way I could keep using the computer but change the effect it has on my eyes so I can test this out?
∑Or is there anyone who has had these problems also and has found a solution?
∑Is there any HTML links or resources of information on these *specific* symptoms I'm having?

Please, post any information suggesting the cause and solution to this set of eye problems. Please! Its driving me mad, and ruining my life and the way I live. I will give you a ton of thanks and a nifty postcard or something if you solve my problem! PLEASE!!! Thanks you all who've taken the time to read, and post to my problem.
-C

------------------
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

[This message has been edited by NothingIsGo (edited 12-30-2000).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2000, 02:17 AM   #2

shira HB User
Wink

i have 2 coworkers who suffered from migraines for years, and managed to get rid of it with the help of acupuncture. i do it for other reasons and it is great. i suggest you try this. this way you don't have to take any kind of medication or change your lifestile.
hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2000, 07:17 AM   #3
Inactive

joy HB User
Hi. Just a couple of suggestions. I am a long time migraine sufferer. Ask your doc to try Maxalt for your headaches. It works wonders for me. You said you've tried eye drops. Can you keep lubricant eye drops [without a preservative] at your computer [Refresh Tears is good] and use it a lot, and take 5 minute computer breaks every 30-45 minutes. I had Lasik recently and my eyes get a little dry too, and the computer does't help. The Refresh Tears do help me though. Really, try the Maxalt and the lubricant eye drops. I hope this helps you.
Joy

Old 12-31-2000, 11:57 AM   #4
Inactive

phillb HB User
Hi there ,just a couple of suggestions ,have you had your eyes tested recently and by that what i mean is tested for pressure as in glaucoma the other resiource which i have found valuable is reba ann karps book on the encyclopaedia of health isbn 0446 30981-8.I have also found that raw carrots have a very definate effect on vision, in would also look at spinal massage a good osteopath would soon know if there were any lesions blocking any important pathways.

Old 01-01-2001, 04:50 PM   #5

NothingIsGo HB User
Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be sure to try a couple of them out and mention some of those tests to my doctor. I hope one (or more than one) solves my problem. Other help is still welcome, thanks all!!!

Old 01-03-2001, 06:23 AM   #6

shira HB User
joy,
my eye doctor said that even Refresh tears are bad for contact lences wearer, because it leaves residues on the lenses. he recommends using plain saline only.

Old 01-04-2001, 03:04 PM   #7

Moon HB User
I know someone with the exact same thing. On and off.

It has gotten to the point where they get up in the morning with dry eyes, and can't see well enough to read. There is a pressure behind the eyes in the middle (not inside the eye ball) thoughts of a brain tumor have circled a few times. As the morning progresses the bluriness gets better. When sitting at the computer for extended periods of time it seems to get worse on some days. The eye doctor checked it and gave a prescription that allows for reading but does not get rid of the Allergic like symptoms. Suggested it could be a seasonal allergie,(it's present all year on and off).

What they do. It seems the glasses worn for the reading may not be the right prescriptiion for reading the computer screen. Therefore causing eye strain and a focusing pain. at the base of the eyes. Also the blurriness seems to be worse when eating foods high in salt, and chinese food? The dryness (have no clue). The pain seems to get better by using advil. Aspirin and Tylenol won't touch it.

Try to sit at least a full arms length from the screen, adjust brighness to see clearly without getting uncomfortable, make sure your monitor is not sitting in front of a window or bright background, if glasses are needed get them so you can se very well at exactly one full arms length.

You may want to check into ways to exercise your eye muscles. (clock rotations, pushing, focus changing etc.) You may want to pay attention to what you eat and how you feel the next day.

During the day take frequent brakes and look out the window and give your eyes some aerobics.

Old 01-05-2001, 03:44 AM   #8
Inactive

joy HB User
Smile

Hi Shira,
Refresh Tears for glasses wearing, not contacts. I use them since Lasik surgery a few weeks ago. No more contacts for me, yippee!
Joy
Quote:
Originally posted by shira:
joy,
my eye doctor said that even Refresh tears are bad for contact lences wearer, because it leaves residues on the lenses. he recommends using plain saline only.

Old 01-05-2001, 10:43 AM   #9

NothingIsGo HB User
Smile

Okay, I've talked to my doctor about this. He gave me some napcom A eyedrops, they seem to have little effect on me though. I've been taking them for a few days, and he just wants to see if they help me or not before we go any further with this situation, and it seems they are not.
I also did some looking on the web, and I found something called computer vision syndrome, has anyone ever heard of it? It describes my symptoms almost perfectly...but I've never even heard of it before, so I don't know if its even a real disease, hehe. I'm going to try those computer brakes before I make another appointment with my doctor, see if that helps...

Once again, thanks all!

Old 01-10-2001, 06:51 AM   #10

Moon HB User
I forgot to mention that in my experience with eye exercise, there is one thing that helps your eyes get wet on command.

When you take your computer brake try blinking hard about 20 times or as many times as it may take you to get the surface of your eyeball wet. It works for me.

you may want to check where the airconditioning vents near you are pointing and see if any of them are hitting you in the eyes, causing them to dry out.

Old 02-05-2001, 10:49 AM   #11

NothingIsGo HB User
Talking

Okay, the eyedrops and computer breaks are really helping a lot. Thanks for who suggested that! Hehe, I also went to an eye doctore/allergist (he had been an allergist in the past, which was perfect) and he said basically my eyes were dehydrated. When they become dry, they become a breeding ground for allergies...which disturbed me. But he told me to take plenty of water, take computer breaks (thanks a ton again for you guys who suggested that! , and use eyedrops and the problem should fade away eventually. So far, so good...i feel like 50% better, so its good!!! >

Closed Thread