It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2001, 05:02 PM   #1

fiona HB User
Question "goopy" eyes

For the past few years, I have had these weird stringy things in both of my eyes. They are long and stretchy and clear, not physically irritating but quite annoying. I can sort of "scoop" them out with my finger, and if I don't, these stringy things often go across my eye which obstructs my vision. If anyone knows what these are and how to get rid of them, please share!

Fiona

Old 10-02-2001, 10:44 PM   #2

hellokitty23 HB User
i have the same problem! is it worse for you in the morning? i think that they are sleepers that somehow get in your eye and that's why they get stringy like that. i had my eyes checked recently (had them dilated, got pictures taken, etc) and my doctor said i was fine. do you wear contacts? i do and i am thinking that it is somehow related to that. would love to hear back from you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #3

fiona HB User
Hi there!

Yes, it's much worse right when I wake up. I also wear contacts, but I had this weird goopy stuff for about a year or two before I started wearing them, so I don't think it's related. Did you talk to your eye doctor directly about it, or was it just a general check-up? Did he have any suggestions about it?

Fiona

Old 10-04-2001, 07:15 PM   #4

hellokitty23 HB User
it was a general checkup and it was a few months back. i told him i was experiencing other problems with my eyes along with the goopy stuff. so he did all the extra stuff (pictures, dilation, etc) to check for anything abnormal, but everything was ok. mostly i think it has to do with over active tear ducts. what do you think?

Old 10-04-2001, 07:17 PM   #5

hellokitty23 HB User
it was a general checkup and it was a few months back. i told him i was experiencing other problems with my eyes along with the goopy stuff. so he did all the extra stuff (pictures, dilation, etc) to check for anything abnormal, but everything was ok. mostly i think it has to do with over active tear ducts. what do you think?

Old 10-04-2001, 07:25 PM   #6

fiona HB User
That's a good idea, the overactive tearduct thing. I actually never even thought of why my eyes get goopy, I just dwelled on how much I hated it. I have an eye appointment coming up in about 3 weeks, so perhaps I'll ask them what they think is wrong with my (our) eyes. Do you think this condition is treatable, or is it just something we have to deal with?

Fiona

Old 10-04-2001, 10:49 PM   #7

dude HB User
Stringy mucous is often a sign of ocular (eye) allergies.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:54 PM   #8

dude HB User
If you wear contacts make sure to clean them well. You can have allergic reactions to the debris that accumulates on the lenses. Often the multipurpose type of solutions popular today do an inadequate job of cleaning the lenses. Using a daily cleaner and enzymes can help.

Sleeping with lenses is also bad for those with allergies. Actually its just bad for the eyes in general, due to the lack of sufficient oxygen and increased infection risk.

Old 10-13-2001, 01:07 AM   #9

hellokitty23 HB User
dude -
thanks for the posts....i never considered it may be allergies. i do take claritin for my other allergies. other than the contact stuff, do you know how this can be treated?

Old 10-15-2001, 06:00 PM   #10

Cactus HB User
I wear contact lenses and I have that goopy stuff in my eyes a couple of times a year. It is always associated with seasonal allergies. For the first couple of years, it was terrible. My eyes itched so bad and the goop was constantly irritating my eyes. I took allegra, but it didn't help me. I then tried claritin, and it helped one year but not the next. Last year, my doctor gave me a perscription for allergy eye drops called Blephemide. It has worked better than anything else I have tried. It is a kind of antesthetic(sp?) drop. It is expensive but very effective. While I still have occasional itching, the goop is pretty much gone. I advise anyone who has this type problem with their eyes to ask your doctor to prescribe Blephemide. It works!

Old 10-25-2001, 04:22 PM   #11

Ariadna HB User
As far as I know, it is simply what your eye discharges. An eye is a pretty independent organ, and it has it own system of "getting rid of waste", another question is why you have so much of it, that it even interfiers with your vision. Probably, you have something iritating in your eyes (lenses might be an answer), or somehow dirt or dust is coming into eyes too much. Just make sure your contacts are steril, and wear protective glasses often.

Closed Thread