It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2001, 03:10 PM   #1

ilovenyc HB User
Exclamation Eyes always bloodshot and red rimmed!

My eyes are ALWAYS bloodshot and red rimmed. From the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed. When I wear my soft contact lenses it just makes it worse. I clean my contacts every day and take good care of my eyes. My eye doctor says he says nothing wrong but I know there is! It's so frustrating how they burn all the time! And they are so red! If anyone has any advice PLEASE tell me, I can use all the help I can get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2001, 03:11 PM   #2

ilovenyc HB User
"My eye doctor says he says nothing wrong but I know there is!" Sorry- change that to he sees nothing wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2001, 07:10 PM   #3

sbreen HB User
Have you considered the possibility of an allergy to the contact solutions? The easiest way to find out is to not wear the contacts for a week or so. If the redness goes away then you know the problem. If that's the case, talk to your eye dr about a different non allerginic solution for them. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2001, 11:46 PM   #4
Inactive

Cutebeagle2 HB User
Talking

Your contact lenses could be irratating your eyes or you could be alergic to something. The eyes react to allergies first as this is the weakest part. Try eating some more vegetables with vitamin A this will clear up your eyes but give it time. Also research vitamins will also help.

Old 11-07-2001, 11:42 PM   #5

Ewok HB User
Hi IlOVENYC,
I am going to paste a reply I just wrote to someone on the arthritis board about dry eye conjuctivitus. It may not apply to you....but heck you never know!! I too have red rimmed eyes that are chronically blood shot and cannot tolerate ANY kind of contact lens. Good luck to you.

Dry eye conjunctivitus generally effects both eyes. It is a symptom of many different auto immune diseaeses, sjrogens being on the top of the list. I have been tested over the years but hae never had a posititve result. My eyes get very red and dry feeling kind of like sand in them. If you have ever seen someone with severe allergies their eyes are usually red and irritated by pollens etc. and basically have the same look about them as dry eye syndrome. With dry eye syndrome you will also notice discharge in the corners of your eyes, almost always upon waking and throughout the day. If you remove it you might also see that it seems stringy filling the bottom portion of your eyelid. My eyes become extremely reed after sitting at the computer, sitting through a movie, or shopping. This is usually caused by the air conditioning. I look like I am on drugs half the time!! I was told by The Opthamologist that I should be using moisture drops every 2 hours, the preservative free kind. This is supposed to be a life long maintenance!! The preservative free kind are for people with chronic dry eyes because constant exposure to preservatives can cause its own set of problems. They come in self enclosed capsules that are broken open and have to be used witin 5 minutes. It can become very expensive. Recently however they have come up witha new drop available over the counter that is in a normal dropper and the preservative becomes water when it is oxygenated...so it is safe for long term use. It is quite a bit less expensive and convienent. I am currently using Theratears available at Sav-On , RiteAid etc. If you do have dry eyes it is important to keep them moisturized as much as possible because as it was explained to me..every time you blink it is like ripping a scab off of a wound. Eventually it can cause ulceration of the eyes and lead to all sorts of problems. An opthamologist can perform a simple test called the Schimmer test( a thin piece of tissue like paper inserted in the lower lid to test your moisture level). It is only slightly uncomfortable and very quick. Slightly off the subject...Have you checked out any of the Gluten allergy sites?? I read about them hear on this board and looked at one the other day and was absolutely amazed at how many of the symptoms I have. The sad thing is the intolereance does its damage before you generally realize that it could be the culprit. I of course can't say for sure that it is the contributing factor to my auto immune disease but it sure makes me wonder. I went to ***********, typed in Gluten and checked out some of the top sites. If you haven't already done so you might want to take a look. Very interesting stuff. Have you ever had problems with mouth ulcers(canker sores)? Good luck to you and I truly do feel your pain!! Ewok

Closed Thread