It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2002, 04:36 PM   #1

Paula Brown HB User
Post Eye Fluttering

My niece is having a problem with her eyes "fluttering." She loses vision for 3-4 seconds. It is getting so bad that she can't drive, and has trouble being outside because her eyes are "drawn" to the sun. She has had an MRI and it is negative. There is no abnormal brain activity. Can anyone help??
Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, are you on medication? The neurologist is treating her for partial complex seizures, but the medication is not working.

Old 08-24-2002, 03:38 PM   #2

Moe C HB User
Can you tell us a little more? What do you mean by fluttering? Does it involve blinking? Do the eyeballs themselves move around?

Moe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2002, 07:30 PM   #3

Paula Brown HB User
She blinks at a very rapid pace, she loses her vision and concentration for about 3-4 seconds, and her eyes roll back in her head. It's almost like she's in a trance. She has had an MRI that was negative. She has worn electrodes attached to her head to monitor her brain activity. There was no abnormal brain activity. She doesn't function well in the bright sunlight. She can't help but look at the sun which seems to trigger the fluttering. We have invested in good, dark sunglasses that would probably help if she wouldn't look directly at the sun.

I don't think the diagnosis of partial complex seizures is correct. Or, if it is a correct diagnosis, the medication isn't right.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 08-25-2002, 07:50 AM   #4

Moe C HB User
Have you considered a psychological cause?

Moe

Old 08-29-2002, 08:08 PM   #5

Paula Brown HB User
One of the doctors that my sister has taken my niece to suggested that my niece take Prozac. At the time, my sister was adamant that my niece not be on Prozac, mostly because of the negative things associated with the drug.

Now, however, she thinks that the fluttering may be an obsessive compulsive behavior and that the Prozac might help.

My niece is scheduled for another MRI next week. Hopefully, that will shed some light on what is going on.

Thanks for your comments.

Closed Thread