It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2002, 09:46 PM   #1

Zara HB User
Angry Chalazion

Hello. One morning about 3 months ago, I woke up with pain and a hard lump in my lower left eyelid. I went to the doctor and he told me it was a stye. He said to put hot compresses on it and put an antiobiotic drop in my eye. It didnt go away! Surprise , surprise those stupid hot compresses dont work! So he told me I had a chalazion. OK ....please, if anyone knows how to get rid of these stupid annoying things, please let me know because there is NO WAY i am gonna have a doctor make an incision near my eye where i can see it and possibly freak out. ANyone have any useful suggestions ? Or if you have a similar story please share because i dont know of anyone who has had one.

Old 09-06-2002, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
I have never had a chalazion (it's about the only eye problem that I haven't had!), but I know of a wonderful website with lots of info on eye problems including chalazion. Go to [url="http://www.oculartimes.com"]www.oculartimes.com[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2002, 04:10 AM   #3

Clover0411 HB User
Did the doctor tell you to use moist heat??? The article from Ocular Times also just mentions heat --- but should be MOIST heat for best results. Use a wet washcloth --- you can even heat in the mircowave to make sure it is warm enough but not so hot that it burns your skin. Hope it helps --

Old 09-08-2002, 01:11 PM   #4

Zara HB User
I have tried using moist heat. lately i have noticed since i have been doing the hot compresses more often, that it bothers me more. It is really starting to feel uncomfortable. Almost like a deep zit does. whats worse is i can feel it every time i blink. This is really frustrating me. I think I am just gonna have to have it lanced(spelling?) I really dont want to because I am afraid of needles and sharp things around my eyes. Especially clamps. THis is seroiusly a phobia of mine. I dont know what else to do. I will take any other suggestions. Thank you for your replies.

Old 09-08-2002, 06:13 PM   #5

Clover0411 HB User
The moist heat will help bring the sore to a head sooner. You eyelid is the most sensitive spot on your body. Anything that gets into the eye causes pain as the eyelid moves over it. Or there could be a dry spot on your eye which also is uncomfortable. How long have you had this chalazion?? Perhaps the doctor could give you some drops which would let you blink more comfortable. Hope this clears up soon for you. Good Luck!!

Old 09-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You could try using some plain artifical tear drops or tears ointment that would lubricate your eye just in case it is dry. They might also provide some relief from the irritation when you blink. If your eye gets really really irritated, try using a moist, COLD compress for a few minutes. That will help with any discomfort or inflammation. You should def. go back to the eye dr if your eye is really hurting you, because you want to make sure that this bump is not rubbing up against your cornea.

Old 09-16-2002, 04:27 PM   #7

Joselin HB User
Chalazion queen over here! I have had three surgeries (lances) and I still get them!!! The doc says that once you get them, you will always get them. As a matter of fact, I have another one coming up. It's unbelievable. After my last lancing experience, my signt has gotten blurred. It's been about two months and I still cannot see properly. During the day I can deal, but at night all the lights blend. The doc has performed every test know to man, and he still cannot figure out why my sight is blurred. Anywho, the procedure is not that bad if you have a good doc. It hurts, yes, but is manageable.

Old 09-18-2002, 05:02 PM   #8

PaulT HB User
Unhappy

Chalazion King here!

I've been getting chalazions for about 8 years now. I didn't have one for about 1 1/2 years. I now have 2 on my left eye. One on the top lid and one on the bottom lid. I went to a new doctor within my old doctors practice. I've never tried to have 2 removed a one time. But, I did this time. For the people who've had chalazions removed you know how they prep you. Well, I get the good ole injections in the eyelid and the whole nine yards. The doc does the procedure and I clutch on to the chair.

I go home and zap out. I wait day to day and after a week, I watch in horror the chalazions ARE STILL THERE! The doc MISSED BOTH of them! I go back next week. I am so through. I just want these things off my eye.

Troubled in Maryland

Old 10-04-2002, 07:49 PM   #9

Zara HB User
Thumbs down

Thank you everyone for your comments and help. I really dont know what to do now. I am so desperate. Maybe it shoudlt affect my life, but it is really starting to irritate me. I have become really self concious now. I won't even look people in the eyes anymore. I am even having self esteem issues!!!I have had this stupid bump on my eyelid for about 4-5 months now. Is this normal? chalazion queen and king, how long did you have yours for? Did yours ever go away naturally, or did you always have to have them removed? I am sooo scared of having it removed. I can't handle having a needle close to my eye. I really dont want to have it removed especially after chalazion queen said her vision wasnt the same. If there is anything I can do , I will try it!!! I tried the hot sock (stuffing a sock with rice and warming it up) I have used hot compresses up to 6 times a day!!! and it wont even shrink!!!! When i invert my eyelid i can see the stupid bump. It looks like a yellow bubble and I wonder if i could pop it when i invert it? anyway, please help!!

Old 10-08-2002, 12:46 AM   #10

BelindaB HB User
Talking

Take a look at [url="http://www.erzo.org"]www.erzo.org[/url] under Kimberly, health, chalazions. This lady claims that these wretched lumps do go away on their own, though it may take a year or more. I've also seen other sites saying that most chalazia will eventually go on their own, and that 18 months is their predicted lifespan. The reason I'm trawling the Net on this is that my 14 year old daughter has had a chalazion for 3 months - she's petrified of needles, I'm petrified of the general anaesthetic they've offered her. So we've decided to wait it out - the lump is about 7mm but not very visible. Very best of luck with yours and do keep us posted.

Old 10-08-2002, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Like I said before, I have never had chalazions, but I have had several procedures done on my eyes that required injections. It hurts for a second or two, but then once the novocaine takes effect you should not feel anything at all. And if your dr has steady hands (which he should, if he is going to be doing a procedure on your eyes!) then you shouldn't have to be afraid of having something sharp near your eye. Trust me, I know how nerve wracking that can be. But you know what, after the first procedure that I had done, where my dr actually had to scrape my eyeball with a needle and a q-tip, I figured that he must be really good and really know what he is doing, and I just have to trust him and there is no reason to be nervous. And guess what? After having had so many procedures done, I am not nervous anymore. I actually look forward to getting it done, because I know that once I do it then the discomfort will be all gone. Plus, your dr is going to use the smallest needle possible to inject your eyelid. You won't feel it for more than a second or two.

Think of it this way. Would you rather live with the chalazion for God only knows how long, or would you rather have a tiny little needle injected into your eyelid and have it lanced, and then be done with it? (as for the poster who said his doctor missed the chalazions, get another dr! How on earth could that have happened?)

Also, try some tears ointment to comfort the eye.

Good luck,
Elyse

Old 10-12-2002, 10:35 PM   #12
(female)

HAAR HB User
Smile

My daughter had one at the age of 3. After many months of moist warm washcloths it became infected.
Oh how I wished we had had it removed right from the start. They put her to sleep and removedc and washed it out really good.
She is 12 and she has had a scar in her upper eye lid since it had gotten infected.The infection had gone through the lid. She is stating to wear some eye shadows now and she if very irritated about the scar.
She has never had another chalazium.
I believe it was very possible that the reason for the bump was her allergy to apples.At the time she had bumps on her face. Soon after we figured out the face bumps were because of the apples and apple sauce and apple juice that she ate a lot of at the time.No more apple stuff = no more red bumps.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #13
(male)

unhealthy HB User
...what happens if you leave it alone?

Old 10-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #14

Zara HB User
I dont know....that is what i was wondering. Well it eventually go away on its own? Or do I NEED to have it removed? If it does goes away on its own w/o surgery(i really dont want to go through with it)how long does it take?

Old 10-18-2002, 12:51 AM   #15

BelindaB HB User
According to the sites I've looked at, it could go away on its own even after 12-18 months, and the lady with lots of experience on [url="http://www.erzo.org"]www.erzo.org[/url] says it WILL evenutally go ('scout's honor', she says). However, she's just a sufferer, not a doctor, so I'd also like other views on this. I think probably most people decide to have the lancing procedure done before a year is up, because the chalazion gets uncomfortable or noticeable or infected.

Closed Thread