It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #1

Kaylynne HB User
Smile cataracts at an early age

Hello everyone. I am a 47 year old homemaker with cataracts. I have already had one cataract surgery (left eye) when I was 38 yrs. old. My right eye is forming another cataract now. Of course, the first thing that everyone asks is "are you diabetic" which I am not. Also, I have never had an injury to either eye. What is happening to my eyes is very disturbing to me. My doctor assures me that even at 47 it is much too early for cataracts. My right eye is not to the point of surgery (yet) but I feel it won't be too much longer. My doctor is at a quandary as to why I should be developing cataracts at such an early age. The only thing I can think of that might possibly be the cause is spending a lot of time in the sun in my life: playing tennis, being on the lake, etc. etc. Has anyone else here or do you know of anyone who has developed cataracts at such an early age?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2003, 04:38 PM   #2

qwerty75 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynne:
My doctor is at a quandary as to why I should be developing cataracts at such an early age. The only thing I can think of that might possibly be the cause is spending a lot of time in the sun in my life: playing tennis, being on the lake, etc. etc. Has anyone else here or do you know of anyone who has developed cataracts at such an early age?
A lot of sun exposure, especially before the age of 30, can cause early cataracts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #3

Moe C HB User
Kaylynne:

"Has anyone else here or do you know of anyone who has developed cataracts at such an early age?"

Yep, me. The doctor thought I had diabetes too. I wouldn't say I spent a great deal of time in the sun, but when I was young I didn't wear sunglasses and I have very pale-coloured eyes, so who knows?

Some people are born with cataracts.

Moe

Old 02-23-2003, 02:42 AM   #4

spookyfe HB User
Hi my hubbie has and is due for his first one to be done in a couple of weeks time. he is 45 and the one he is having done now has been around for years. The one in his left eye has only just started to develop he has had no real sun exposure and always wears good quality sun glasses isn't diabetic but he has his because of his myopia

spooky

Old 03-03-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
When I was 44, I had my 1st cataract surgery, then again at 47. My father had his first cataract surgery at the age of 30. His brother in his 30's also. So mine are inherited, I assume. So when I was 44, implants were not done, implants were not out that long yet, and the Doctor said I probably would outlive them, so I wore contacts for 18 years. When my eyes started to dry out so bad I couldn't wear them, then I had implants put in. What a God send.....implants are always put in now. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeanneMarie For This Useful Post:
sribalaji (08-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #6

qwerty75 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by JeanneMarie:
.....implants are always put in now.
Most of the time; but not always.

Closed Thread