It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #1

gator09 HB User
Post what's a lid margin

OK, so i picked up this ointment stuff yesterday that the doctor said to use, only it says to apply to lid margins. what's a lid margin, exactly??? it hurts on top where my eyelashes come out of, so do i put it there? or underneath my lashes on the smooth part, sorry, dont know what u call it. my doctor gave me a sheet it says the oil glamnds are clogged, didn't know the eyes have oil glands, but i guess they do, where are these glands located at? anyone know how long this will take to go away, i'm in agony, how did i get this? sorry for all thw q's, please answer, thanx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

Hi! Welcome to the boards!

Can I ask what part of NY you are in?

What ointment did your dr give you? What exactly do the isntructions say on the prescrition label?

When you say that you are in agony, what do you mean? (I know what it means to be in agony...trust me) But I am not sure if you mean that you are in pain, or that your eyelids are burning? Do you feel pressure? Are they itching? What? You did not describe what you are feeling. Were you diagnosed with Blepharitis? (that is an inflammation of the eyelids)

Maybe somebody else on this board can better answer your question, but I'll give it a shot. I am not exactly sure what your dr means by "lid margins", but I can tell you that the oil glands in your eyelids, at least the glands that I am thinking of, are called Meibomian Glands, and are at the base of your eyelids, where your lashes come out. They are what provide the oil in your tears. I have been using eye ointments for a long time, and although I have heard of people putting it on the outside of the lids, I haven't actually done that. What I do is very gently pinch my lower lid between my thumb and index finger and pull it out, and that creates a "cup" or "pocket" in the lower lid. With my other hand I squeeze the ointment into the pocket, and replace my lower lid. Then I close my eye for a few seconds to make sure that the ointment stays in. Your vision will be blurry for a few minutes, as the ointment is very thick.

But I am not sure if that is what your dr wants you to do. He could simply want you to spread some ointment on the outside of your lids, at the base of your eyelashes. I think you should call and get this clarified before you start using it. If you can't get in touch with your dr, you can also call the pharmacy and speak with the pharmacist and ask how to apply the ointment. But it is best to speak with your dr. By "lid margins" your dr could just mean the base of the eyelashes, but I don't know and it is best to get an answer before you start using it. You can even call today and leave a message if the office has an answering service or an answering machine, and maybe somebody will get back to you. As far as how long it will take to go away... well, it all depends on how bad it is. I have had mine for over a year, and it doesn't seem that they will EVER go away! Actually, they probably won't. I have used warm compresses to melt the oil and unclog the glands, I have used an oral anti-biotic, and I am also taking oral flaxseed oil. It doesn't seem to be going away. But it is different for everybody. Actually, the length of time for it to go away depends on the reason that you have it. It is possible that it is caused by dry eyes, allergies, or even an infection. Although, I am not a dr so I could be wrong. Your best bet is to ask your dr these questions, because he has actually examined you and can give you better estimates.

Good luck, and please let me know how you make out.

Elyse

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 03-30-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #3

gator09 HB User
Hi

[This message has been edited by gator09 (edited 03-30-2003).]

Old 03-31-2003, 04:32 AM   #4

ronaldo1 HB User
My understanding of lid margins is the skin that is just behind both your bottom and top eyelashes. When you lift up your eyelids, your expose the area of skin behind the top eyelashes and these are the margins that are supposed to be cleaned. If your opil glands are blocked like mine, you may sometimes, see tiny little bumps on the lid margins very close to the lashes.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:56 PM   #5

qwerty75 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by gator09:
OK, so i picked up this ointment stuff yesterday that the doctor said to use, only it says to apply to lid margins. what's a lid margin, exactly??? it hurts on top where my eyelashes come out of, so do i put it there? didn't know the eyes have oil glands, but i guess they do, where are these glands located at?
The lid margin is where the inner lid meets the outer lid. The glands are located just behind the base of the eye lashes.

Close your eyes and rub the ointment in the area where your upper lid meets your lower lid.

Closed Thread