It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2003, 01:53 PM   #1

celery HB User
Post Strange and spontaneous eyelid pain

Greetings:

Yesterday morning I noticed a pain in my left eye when I woke up and rubbed my eyes. I noticed it again when I showered and rubbed my eyes. If I didn't rub my eyes (yesterday) I otherwise wouldn't have noticed the pain. Today, however, the eye was much worse when I woke up. It hurt immediately upon waking, and is extremely painful when I blink. Looking at it you can't tell that there is anything wrong. I can tell that my eyelid is very slightly swollen, but no one else can; it is just barely swollen. It is not red, and there are no external signs of irritation. My left eye looks just like my right eye, except for this very very mild swelling.

I can't tell if the vision in that eye is impaired or not, as I don't often try to read with just the one eye. I can read this text with just the sore (left) eye, but it is blurry. This text is clear and sharp with my right eye.

So I am wondering if anyone knows what might be the cause of this "spontaneous" soreness and irritation behind an upper eyelid. It almost feels bruised, and is most tender in the outer corner of my eye. It is not a headache in and of itself, but is starting to cause them, with its constant sharp pain.

I am currently unemployed and without insurance. I can and will see a doctor if necessary; I'm just hoping it it isn't necessary. If it continues to worsen I will probably go to an emergency room.

I would greatly appreciate any insights and/or suggestions.

Thank You for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
You might want to look up "blepharitis" and see if that sounds like what you have. Or perhaps you're getting a stye. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I don't think it can hurt to try a warm compress on the affected eye a few times/day. Wet a washcloth, wring it out, put it on a clean plate and microwave it for a minute, then place on your eye (test temp first!) Repeat a few times when it cools. If you have plugged oil glands, this can help to open them up.

Hope you feel better!

Old 04-27-2003, 07:15 AM   #3

HeidiLS71 HB User
You may have a corneal abrasion or ulcer. You really should see an opthamologist. Pain in your eye is not normal and your eyes are nothing to mess around with. Call around and explain your situation, you may be able to find a Doctor that will except payment plans or charge you a lessor fee because you have no insurance. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2003, 06:30 PM   #4

celery HB User
I found it! It looks like a small pimple on the inside of the outer corner of my eye. Is this a sty? And will it go away by itself? Anyone know?

Thanks again for all of your input.

Old 04-27-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
Could be a stye, could be a blocked oil gland, could be something else. No one here can diagnose you; we can just make guesses

If it was me, I'd go to the eye doctor. If you don't want to do that, I still think the warm compresses wouldn't hurt and may be beneficial. Just don't wait too long hoping it will go away, k? Let us know how you do.

Closed Thread