It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2003, 03:59 AM   #1

Silvi69 HB User
Question Ever tried "belladonna" eyedrops?

Hello to everyone!
I read on some internet sites that women some hundred years ago used the juice of belladonna plant for making them more attractive. They dropped some drops of belladonna in their eyes which dilated her eyes and this made them more attractive. Has anyone experiences with belladonna drops, is this really the truth that this drops dilates the eyes? ... i got some dilating drops at an eye exam and i liked them very much, although it was a strange feeling, but i really would like to try such drops, iīm not sure, but i think i know where a belladonna plant is growing near my home.
And another question: Do you really think dilated eyes are more attracitve to men? ...iīm not sure at all, but maybe itīs the truth.
CU
Silvi

Old 04-27-2003, 04:13 AM   #2

Dietrich HB User
Sorry but let me say this: "Are you CRAZY???"
Dilating eyes for being more attractive? Dilated eyes are more sensitive to the light and see worse! That
is enough to forget the idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2003, 04:17 AM   #3

Silvi69 HB User
Hi Dietrich!
Maybe you misunderstood, i donīt wanna have dilated eyes all the time,- but i think on some special days it would be exciting, maybe on weekend if i go out.

Old 04-27-2003, 04:29 AM   #4

Dietrich HB User
Wink

anyway, I think any unnecessary experiments with
the most important sensual organ of yours is not a
good idea.

You will eventually meet a person who will love
you with your normal size eye pupils, unbrushed
hair, no make up etc.

Good luck,

Dietrich

Old 04-27-2003, 04:34 AM   #5

Silvi69 HB User
Of course thatīs right, Dietrich, i donīt wanna risk my eyesight, this is why i wrote here my questions, i hope someone knows if this is risky or not.
There are people who have to take dilating drops for weeks and longer, so i donīt belive they are soo dangerous at all

Old 04-27-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvi69:
Hello to everyone!
I read on some internet sites that women some hundred years ago used the juice of belladonna plant for making them more attractive. They dropped some drops of belladonna in their eyes which dilated her eyes and this made them more attractive. Has anyone experiences with belladonna drops, is this really the truth that this drops dilates the eyes? ... i got some dilating drops at an eye exam and i liked them very much, although it was a strange feeling, but i really would like to try such drops, iīm not sure, but i think i know where a belladonna plant is growing near my home.
And another question: Do you really think dilated eyes are more attracitve to men? ...iīm not sure at all, but maybe itīs the truth.
CU
Silvi

I mean this in the nicest way, but that is just plain CRAZY! DO NOT do that. Did you know that when you are sexually attracted to someone your pupils naturally dilate? Next time you're with a guy and you're really into each other, look at his pupils. Unless you are out in the sun, they'll probably be dilated.

I hope you listen to what we are telling you. I don't know how to impress upon you what a dangerous idea that is. You're going to risk your eyesight to look more attractive to guy who will not even notice what you've done??

Old 04-27-2003, 07:00 AM   #7

Silvi69 HB User
Thank you DonnaDe for your reply, hmm,- i would like to know if these drops are really dangerous or if there are big risks using this drops, if so of course i will not try them.
So my question is,- how dangerous are these drops really, would be nice if someone could answer that.
For example my grandmother got dilating drops after surgery, and she had to use them for many weeks, i donīt remember exactly, so in fact i canīt belive they are soo risky to use. ...but iīm not sure if this drops was the same kind made from belladonna.

Old 04-27-2003, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
You STILL are hoping to use them, I see.

"Belladonna was once used by women to dilate the pupils and increase sexual attractiveness. /However/
belladonna is a kind of poison and eventually leads to blindness - these days its safer to stick to eye liner and mascara. ... "

"Belladonna (Atropa belladonna) gets its name from a fad in fashion. Fashion dictated that a beautiful woman (bella donna) must have large eyes or at the very least, enlarged pupils. A tincture of belladonna put into the eyes caused the pupils to dilate. Of course, the beautiful woman could not see very well, bright light was a pain, and she would very likely lose much of her vision from its constant use, but she looked good! And the loss of vision may have made a lot of sense; after all, her marriage would probably be arranged.

Belladonna is also called deadly nightshade. All parts of the plant are highly toxic containing atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine. The physician, John Gerard, was appalled at the number of children who had died because of this vanity. In The Herball (1597) he wrote, '...if you will follow my counsel, deal not with the same in any case, and banish it from your gardens and the use of it also, being a plant so serious and deadly; for it brings such as have eaten thereof into a dead sleep wherein many have died...'"

Old 04-27-2003, 05:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
I don't mean to be rude, but this really does sound crazy! Some people do have to use dilating drops for weeks, but that is for an honest to goodness medical condition! And that still doesn't mean that these drops don't have side effects. If you do that, you are going to GIVE yourself a medical condition! Have you ever had your eyes dilated for an exam? They become very light sensitive and this makes it extremely difficult to see. How could you possibly go out like that? You'd have to wear dark glasses just to be able to see! If you want to see what it is like, shine an extremely bright light in your face. That's what it is like when your eyes are dilated.

Here's something that I found on the web regarding the use of Belladonna:

"Despite Belladonna's toxicity, there are several medical uses of it's parts...THOUGH GENERALLY NOT TRIED AT HOME. The name (fair lady) comes from the fabled use of the plant's juices by Italian ladies, who would drop the juice in their eyes to enlarge their pupils and make their eyes more beautiful. Atropine, a chemical found in belladonna is used by modern eye doctors to dilate the pupils to they can examine the retina."

It is ONLY to be used by the eye dr to dilate you eyes, or to treat you for a condition. It's not for cosmetic uses. Please don't do this. I am sure your eyes are beautiful without this.

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 04-27-2003).]

Old 04-28-2003, 05:45 AM   #10

Silvi69 HB User
Thank you all for answering my questions about belladonna! Itīs a pity, but I think i will not try these drops, because i really donīt wanna hurt my eyes ore something else, you all made me belive that this could be really dangerous.
So my only hope is to receive such drops at some of my next eye exams again,- i got them only one time in my life, and -you will not belive me-, i liked the feeling very much, itīs strange, but itīs great for me having such big pupils and blurry vision. Of course i donīt wanna have these effects all the time.

Closed Thread