It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2003, 11:10 PM   #1

bruinguy HB User
Post Dry eye or sore eyes?

I've had a burning type pain sensation in my eyes for years now. I went to an opthamologist and he said it's due to the acne medication I'm taking, although I can't be quite sure that's the case.

I only get "sore" eyes in one eye at a time, it can switch from the right eye to the left eye, depending on the day. Sometimes I may have "sore" eyes in both, although always one more sore than the other. The burning/sore sensation comes from the area near my eye ducts. It's not necessarily on the eye duct itself, but near it.

Well here's why I may disagree with the doctor. What eye I wake up with pain depends upon the side I'm sleeping on. If I'm sleeping on my RIGHT side, my RIGHT eye will be sore. and vica versa. I know the simple solution would be for me to sleep on my back, but I've tried it, and get insomnia instead. What do you think may be happening at night. My doctor examined my eyes and said they aren't actually dry, but that there may be a lack of the right kind of tears.

Anybody have a hypothesis on this weird outcome of my side sleeping?

BTW I've tried eyedrops and ointments, they only irritate the affected eye (whether it happens to be the right or left eye on that particular day)

Old 05-06-2003, 05:08 AM   #2
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
What kind of acne medicine are you using? Oral or topical? Are you using any other products on your face? Perhaps something you put on your face is rubbing off on your pillow, and then you're rubbing it in your eye when you sleep on your side.

Some of us are having eye problems that seem to be related to antibiotic use, so I'd be interested in knowing what you're taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #3

bruinguy HB User
Great hypothesis! I should have thought of that.
I'm taking clyndamyacin phosphate solution nightly, although I used to take retin-a micro nightly, which would make my eye(s) worse. I'm also taking vitamins, no antibiotics. Maybe I should start sleeping blindfolded. I'm willing to give anything a try at this point, people with "normal" eyes don't know the pain that we're going through on a daily basis. I have to take daily naps to make the pain go away in order to read for my classes or do anything at all.
Thanks for the response.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:14 PM   #4

iChrisi HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by bruinguy:
Great hypothesis! I should have thought of that.
I'm taking clyndamyacin phosphate solution nightly, although I used to take retin-a micro nightly, which would make my eye(s) worse.
So you used to take retin-a micro, and your eyes felt worse? Well that's just great. I just decided to stop taking the minocycline I was on because of the theory of a link between the antibiotics and our eye problems. I was just put on Retin-A Micro recently, and what you said worries me even more now. I can't give up everything!

Why is this seemingly coming down to a case of what problem I want less? What you said about Retin-A Micro is very distressing for me...

[This message has been edited by iChrisi (edited 05-06-2003).]

Old 05-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #5

iChrisi HB User
One more thing to add...

Your doctor said it's because of the acne medication you're taking.

Well, one other topical I'm on is Duac Gel. It's pretty new, but it's a mix of clyndamyacin phosphate (which you are on) and benzoyl peroxide.

I started that in mid-Janury, along with the minocycline I was on. I didn't think anything of the topical medications...but I don't know nearly enough about how these are absorbed into the body.

Anyway, the clyndamyacin is interesting...that's one thing the timing of when both of our problems began have in common. Hmm...

Alright, I'm stopping the Duac Gel since I don't like it anyway. I can't go off the Retin-A Micro though...I just can't. FYI, I just got the Retin-A Micro a few weeks ago, so I know that's not a cause. But I don't know if it could possibly make things worse.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:57 PM   #6

iChrisi HB User
Okay, so I keep having more to say about this.

When did you start taking the clyndamyacin phosphate? Before or after your eye problems began? Or at approximately the same time?

The burning sensation I feel is exactly how you describe it. I have problems with my eyelids and clogged glands, but the eyes burn and it's exactly as you describe it. Always worse in one eye, and it switches back and forth. Sometimes the burning is very manageable, and at other times, like tonight, it's nearly unbearable.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
You guys! Topical acne medicines can indeed affect your eyes. Really, anything you use on your face can do that. The reason I tried oral antibiotics for my skin is that the topicals bothered my eyes.. well, the skin around them. I'd get red itchy spots, almost like hives.

Gosh, if I were you two I'd stop *everything* and see if your eyes got better. I realize that's a personal decision... clear skin and problem eyes vs normal eyes and bad skin....but at least you would know.

Chrisi, why would your dermatologist start you on that many different acne meds at the same time?

Old 05-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #8

iChrisi HB User
I was put on minocycline and duac gel only in mid-January, which is when these problems started. They put me on both of those because I haven't had the best of luck in responding to various acne medications.

Then in mid-April I saw the physician's assistant for my dermatologist. At the time, the previous medications weren't help all that much. She added Retin-A Micro and Plexion, a medicated cleanser for rosacea (though I don't have rosacea, but she siad it'd still help).

I've never been too familiar with how medications works, and I didn't know that topical medications could affect the eyes. The thought just never crossed my mind.

I know, I should probably stop everything and see if that clears up the eye problems. I just don't know what to do though...I'm not satisfied with my options right now. I stopped the Duac Gel, but I'm finding the decision over whether or not to continue on the Retin-A Micro quite stressful.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
I used Plexion one time, just on my nose and cheeks. As you know, you then wash it right off. I still got a reaction around my eyes, even though it never touched them in any way. (It's not the same problem I'm having now, by the way.)

I understand not wanting to give up clear skin, so it's up to you to decide which problem (eye or acne) you find most distressful. How bad is your acne?

Old 05-07-2003, 04:33 PM   #10

iChrisi HB User
My acne can range from not bad at all to awful (at least to me...I know there are others that have it much worse though). With the medications I've been on, my skin's been much better.

It's a tough decision. The acne has a huge mental effect on me when it comes to self-confidence and all that, and every now and then I can very depressed because of it. Of course that's happening with these eye problems now as well, so it's always something.

If the cause of my problems are due to the medications, this is a lose-lose decision. However, I think I'm going to give up the medications. I'm only 21, so at least it's still likely for me that the acne's a temporary thing and could go away anytime in the next couple years. That does me no good right now, but my options are limited.

I'm still not completely sold on the medication theory completely, but I think it's very possible and really hope it is just due to the antibiotics...as long as they couldn't have caused anything permanent. The timing does certainly point to the medications being at fault for this.

Actually, I've made a decision. I have to give up the medications after today.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:15 PM   #11
Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
I think that's wise At least see if your eyes improve at all.

I understand how you feel about the acne. I've been battling with it since I was 13... and I'm 42 now! I never thought I'd still have acne! I'm waiting for the day when I actually need to buy moisturizer LOL But, you're right, yours could be temporary. Most people stop breaking out in their 20s. It's funny.. I used to brood about my skin, wondering why I couldn't be "normal." Now I have something far worse! I'd trade bad skin for the rest of my life if only my eyes were fine again. (I exaggerate when I say my skin is "bad"... but I'm tired of having a monster zit on special occasions, I'm tired of using cover-up... but like I said, how trivial that all seems now).

You know, last August I got an enormous zit on the top of my cheek. It was so huge it looked like I had gotten hit in the face. I had never seen anything like it! It went away, and a few weeks later I got another one! By the third one, I started to really look back and try to think of what I had done differently. It was then that I realized I had gotten a new Estee Lauder blush in August. I had used that brand before, so I didn't immediately make the connection. I stopped using it and went back to my old brand (MAC). I never got a freakish pimple again. The point of my little story is, if you have a problem crop up out of the blue, and you did/used something different, that should be the first thing you think of. Blush = pimples. Acne meds = eye troubles. Know what I mean?

Old 05-09-2003, 12:09 AM   #12

bruinguy HB User
Chris,
I know what you mean about the self-confidence bit, its a lose-lose situation. I have had dry/irritated eyes since Junior High, when I started using alcohol based solutions for my acne. The thing that bothers me is that its isolated to one eye at a time, sometimes both eyes if its a night when I'm constantly rolling over. At any rate, it makes it seem like there's an easy remedy, like sleeping on my back, or using an eye-patch, but none seem to work. (I can't sleep on my back for the life of me!) I'm also 21, and have had acne since I was 13. In fact, I don't have what you may characterize as acne anymore, the medications I take are out of the fear that I'll get it back.

Since we're on the acne subject, I'll tell you what finally worked for me. I visited the acne boards and found out about the vitamin B-5. It's also known as pantothenic acid. Anyhow, a study was done in 2000 where a 100 or so patients were given high amounts of pantothenic acid, throughout the day, and the results were unbelievable. The Doctor who performed the study believed that the pantothenic acid would break down the fatty-acids that he theorized leak onto the surface of the skin as a form of excrementation.

So I tried it. It's quite expensive. They say to use 10 grams a day, but I did 5 grams, along with 50 mg of zinc. It tooks two months of using the B-5 along with the topical medications (clyndamyacin and Retin-a micro) to completely clear me up. I have minor zits here and there, and I usually get rid of them with tea trea oil at night when they emerge. For the most part I'm clear and left with scarring and blemishes.

Anyhow, I wouldn't dare get off the medications just yet, because I've never been clear, not for about 9 years, and I'm not about to get acne again. Instead, I just deal with the pain on my eyes, which is annoying as hell because I have to take naps to alleviate the pain before I start to read for classes, or just daily because its so much pain.

I'm wondering whether eye plugs would work for my situation? Does anybody out there know an answer to this?

Ointments and eyedrops (I use hypotears) only seem to irritate my eyes even more too.

Closed Thread