It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

MamaQ HB User
Adult onset of 'wall eye'

I'm 28 yrs old and for the past 8 years or so I have noticed that my right eye turns outward if I look directly up. It used to be mild and I even mentioned it to my eye doctor but he didn't seem worried about it. (sidenote...I'm going to change eye doctors because I don't like this one - huge lack of personality and he has no interest in my concerns)

Well, gradually overtime this 'wall eye' has become worse. The past few weeks I have noticed something new. When I wake up in the morning I have a hard time focusing it and getting it to line up with the other eye even though I'm looking directly ahead. After several minutes it corrects itself, but it's a little scary. I'm starting to worry that it is going be more noticable than it used to be when it was only turning outward when I would look up.

I also have a little bit of double vision when my eyes get tired as well as seeing "after images" in dim lighting. I've seen the "after images" for about the past 10 years - about as long as I've had the 'wall eye' problem.

My greatest concern is that this is not an eye problem but that it could be a slow growing tumor in my brain. I know - I'm fearing the worst...but that's just me.

So come Monday I'm finding a new eye doctor who will listen to these concerns about my wall eye and after images and tell me what I can do or even if there is nothing I can do.

Does anyone have similar experience with these problems or any advice?

Thanks~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

Jena50 HB User
Re: Adult onset of 'wall eye'

MamaQ.
I what you call a lazy eye that sometimes it will not focus when I have allergy problems , but does clear up . I would go and see another eye doctor and go until you find the right one to do a full eye exam . Sound like a lazy eye to me , but keep us posted .

All the best,

Jena

Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Adult onset of 'wall eye'

MamaQ: Although the problem could be caused by disease, or brain tumours, it is not uncommon for a latent exotropia (sounds better than wall eye) to manifest after childhood. This condition involves the brain and eye muscles not working properly together. The solution could be prisms in your glasses, or perhaps down the road, eye muscle surgery.
Since you are looking for a new doctor, I would strongly advise you to look at the AAPOS website and find a board certified pediatric ophthalmologist in your area. POs are the experts on misaligned eyes and they take adult patients. The list on that site contains the best of the best.

Good luck.

Last edited by KeelaC; 07-22-2007 at 05:47 AM.

Closed Thread