It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
Post Why can't I wear contacts...eyes too sensitive..help anyone!

I'm in high school right now, going to be a junior, and I've had glasses since second grade. Back then it wasn't a problem, and half the kids in my class had glasses too. But every year more and more people got the contacts until I'm like the only one with glasses still. I've tried to get contacts, but I can't even pu them in! Even with the assistants or whatever at the eye doctor, they can't get it in. Every time I/they try to put the contact onto my eyeball, my eyelids flutter and blink shut.

My eyes are too sensitive to it I'm sure, but does anyone know why or what causes this?? I had dry eyes once and my mom gave me some eye drops to put in. So I tilt my head back and hold the eye dropper over my eye and squeeze and when the drop falls my eyes like freak and snap shut...I can't even put eye drops in!!

Does anyone know anything about this condition or what causes these overly sensitive eyes??? Or how I can help it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I would love to be able to wear contacts. Otherwise when I'm 18+ I might be tempted to get the Lasik surgery, about which I've heard mixed responses...especially about dry eyes and since I can't do eye drops that would be a problem for me...thanks

p.s.-my dad also wears glasses and can't wear contacts, but not because he couldn't get them in. he could wear them fine but if he wore them like three days in a row his eyes would get all red. so I'm not sure if it's 'genetic' or what..

if it helps, my vision is absolutely horrible (every time I go to the eye doctor my vision without glasses has decreased. my mom said once she got contacts her eyes stopped changing, but I can't get them in anyway! also I think I have an astigmatism too, if that affects it...but I know people with those who wear contacts)

[This message has been edited by pdrq221 (edited 08-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

air_20 HB User
Do you have a stigmatism? I also had trouble with my lenses when my eye doctor change them to stigmatism lenses. I don't have any problems with the lenses that aren't with a stigmatism in them. The stigmatism lenses made it feel like something was in it all the time and never really focused correctly for me to see.

------------------
airees

Old 08-07-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
I can't even get the contacts in in the first place. yeah I do have an astigmatism, but haven't had any problems directly related to that

Old 08-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

Ravishing HB User
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I have always had a difficult time getting drops in my eyes - even as a kid. I just freak out and clench my eyes shut. I tried getting contacts a few years ago but as soon as I saw it coming near my eye I would shut my eyes again. The closest the Dr. was able to get with the contact was my eye lashes.
My Dr. said that he worked in a contact clinic for 3 years and had never had a patient like me - he has always been able to get them in people's eyes. He sent me home and said to practise touching my eye and then come back to him.

I'm at my wits end as well. I really want to get contacts so that I can wear sun glasses again and kiss my b/f without them getting in the way - plus I really don't want them in my wedding pictures!!

Oh! One more thing! My mom had the same problem as your dad. She tried wearing them for a few days and had to give up on it as well. I'm 23 and have thought a little about Lasik but I'm far too sqeemish for that. I think I just need to try harder or something.

Good luck and let me know if you manage to get them in!

Old 08-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #5

kga HB User
I've read that it can take several visits for a new contact lens wearer to learn to insert and remove them. If you've paid for the fitting, they should take the time you need until you can learn to put them in and remove them yourself. If not, ask some of your lens wearing friends if they had trouble learning, and who they went to. Maybe your parents would let you switch doctors to someone who can teach you better.

A trick I've read about for getting lenses in: Hold your eyelashes and eyelids open, using one hand for upper lid, other hand for lower lid. (Maybe you could practice this part at home, with clean hands, before going for your next try at a fitting.) Look up, and put the lens (soft lens) on the lower white of your eye. Gently release lids and close eye. With eyes still closed, look down, to get the lens to center on the eye, then open the eye. Since you're not looking at the lens when you put it in, you're less likely to blink (doing it more by feel).

A trick for getting eye drops in: pull your lower eyelid down, making a kind of cup. Put the drop in that "cup" of the lower lid, then gently let the lid go and close the eye. I've had to use eyedrops several times daily since January and my Mom taught me this trick (she's a nurse). I use it all the time and it works very well for me! I hope it helps you.

Old 08-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #6

crystald2003 HB User
HI! I work at pearle Visison and I deal with new wears all the time.. no you are not alone I have see many paitents come in and out of the office that have had difficulty with contacts..an easy trick to put to putting contacts in is: you have to train your self to keep your eye open.. a persons natural reflex is to shut their eye! when you go to try to put in the contact use your idex finger and thumb open your eye as wide as you can get it! make a cup with the contact on your other idex finger place the contact on the colored part of the eye hold long enough to create a suction drop the bottom lid..and blink and it goes everytime! its not something that easy its like anything else..it gets better over time! you have to work at it! let me know what happens! anymore questions..feel free to ask!
Crystal
*****Pearle Vision***** No-One cares for your eyes more than Pearle!

Closed Thread